Best Posts in Thread: Thoughts on discord

1. Good luck to them scaling this lol, looks like they're actually trying to host everything themselves. That means forking out gobloads of bandwidth, not to mention the latency from such a busy centralised voip system. No amount of computer science hipster Erlang is going to magically make this better than Mumble at the most important thing which is low latency and high quality voip. The GM mumble server will run fucking rings around discord for that purpose.

I guarantee within a few months and/or when this really takes off, they will be adding a tonne of advertising and dropping the voice bandwidth as far as they possibly can. They may even try and make people pay if you want more than x people in a single channel, which is where the bandwidth issue really scales up.

I reckon I'll stick with Mumble - open source, lighter weight (discord looks like it uses embedded webkit, cbf downloading to verify, but it's likely a ram and idle cpu hog like the new spotify) and properly encrypted

But on the other hand, Skype should be very worried

Last edited: 26 Jan 2016
    • Funny Funny x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  2. Jolly Long Arm The Moon... It's far away!

Guess what devices they left out......