Best Posts in Thread: Next Modded Minecraft Server

1. Hooch Luckiest man alive.

I'm up for anything but i'd be alot more interested in any mod where i can be an adventurer, running around using magic or whatever to kill mobs and raid castles. I'm not a big fan of anything where i hook up 6 machines to each other with redstone in order to make 1 diamond an hour, usually that sort of thing is too much of a hassle or just too much for my small mind to handle.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  2. skyblock pls

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  3. Mysteryem The Dividing Line

Ok, so I've been fairly absent recently and the server running our GM modpack has been left in a state of constantly crashing (something wrong with someone's base somewhere I think).

With those of us at uni coming to the end of the year, I thought now might be a good time to get another modded server up and running. I had a look around for packs that might interest us and have given you some categories to think about:

1. Resurrect the GM modpack

I can try to bring the server back into a playable state by finding and fixing whatever is causing problems, thought it's not a given that I'll be able to.

We've already invested quite a bit of time into this server, so people may want to continue where they left off.

The pack was specifically tailored to our requests, though there are some things I would do differently if I were to put together another modpack.

2. Another 'kitchen sink' modpack such as FTB Infinity Evolved

These tend to be your standard goto modpacks, so many mods that you'll be spoilt for choice. You likely won't use every mod in the pack, but it's got something for everyone.

The main disadvantage to these packs is that unintentional mod interactions are usually rampant and load times and fps may not be as good compared to smaller packs.

3. A Skyblock modpack

We ran a Skygrid server a while back and Skyblock a loooong time ago, though this time, it would be modded Skyblock.

I don't know about many of these mainly as Skyblock doesn't interest me as much, but I do know there is a Skyblock version of Infinity Evolved (and it's expert mode) as well as FTB's Skyfactory modpack which I believe has a focus on automation in the Skyblock environment

4. A 'progression tree' modpack

What I mean here, is a modpack whereby you must progress partially or wholly through certain mods in order to progress through other mods in the pack. FTB Infinity Evolved's Expert mode is a good example of this, though there are other modpacks with a similar 'progression tree' mechanic, but without the massive grind that IE:E is.

5. A HardcoreQuestingMode modpack

The general basis here is that you are given a book of quests that require you to complete certain tasks (i.e. slay a wither or collect 64 cobblestone) for a reward and access to more quests.

These sorts of modpacks can come in different shapes and sizes, it could be a kitchen sink modpack with HQM tacked on as something optional, a tutorial-esque modpack that uses HQM to run you through the majority of the mods in the pack or it could be a modpack which is much more like a vanilla Minecraft adventure map (the Material Energy series is a good example of this)

6. A 'bleeding-edge' modpack

The major modpacks are usually quite a few versions behind the current version of MinecraftForge. 'Bleeding-edge' modpacks are a collection of newer and/or updated mods which will work on newer versions of Minecraft and MinecraftForge. They will often see a lot of updates and do run a much higher risk of crashing, corrupting your worlds or requiring you to explore new chunks to generate the features of a new mod that just got added.

7. A 'hipster'/'new and upcoming mods' modpack

We've experienced one of these before with the original FTB Horizons, the current FTB Horizons: Daybreaker has been out for a while now. I would guess that there are quite a few user-made modpacks like this that either fall into the 'bleeding-edge' category or are between the old (1.7.10) and the new (1.9.4).

8. A 'themed' modpack

Any sort of modpack whereby the mods in the pack have a particular focus, e.g. magic only, farming, bee breeding or space exploration. This is probably the most open category as you could consider HQM or Skyblock themes too.

I know there's at least one person in our community who is quite fond of Galacticraft and the mods that expand upon it.

9. A 'balanced' modpack

The only ones in this category that come to mind are TPPI and TPPI2 and we've already played those. Put simply, these are usually also 'kitchen sink' modpacks, but whereby they are modified to bring the various included mods more in line with each other. In TPPI for example, all power costs for Logistics Pipes were removed to make that mod more appealing compared to Applied Energistics and Mekanism's digital miner was made much more difficult to obtain due to how much better it is than any standard quarry. Where a 'progression tree' modpack puts the mods in order, 'balanced' modpacks try to put the mods in more equal standings.

10. Something else ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Got something else you think is unique and cool? Convince other people to give it ago and we'll give it a shot.
    I've been looking at http://forum.feed-the-beast.com/thr...anse-a-different-take-on-ftb-infinity.150284/ which is a 'progression tree' modpack. It's a mixture of Magic and Tech mods, but whereby the tech mods, 'evil' magic mods and 'good' magic mods have been organised into individual progression trees.

However, as people frequently tend to shy away from magic mods, I would like to either set up a server for http://forum.feed-the-beast.com/thr...magic-hqm-magic-light-tutorial-themed.139841/ beforehand or suggest you play through some of it singleplayer. Simply Magic falls into a mix of HQM and 'themed', it's essentially a tutorial for magic mods, but it also forces you to use them by making vanilla stone tools/weapons only have 1 durability (exception being the Iron Pickaxe), that and there's no tech mods to be found (excluding Botania which is considered a tech mod in disguise). The idea here would be purely to familiarise yourself with the various magic mods before moving onto Boundless Expanse, so if we were to put up a server for Simply Magic, it likely wouldn't be around for too long.

I've particularly looked at FTB, but I know there are other modpack launchers out there such as Technic and ATLauncher which you may have looked at more.

Let me know what you think.

• Like Like x 3
    • Wizard Wizard x 1
    • List