2nd Frag Video by GM and the community

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by waebi, 2 Jun 2008.

1. Re: 2nd Frag Video by GM and the community

I wonder if there is a pre-rendering script or command in Source. :lol:
    Yes, it would take about 7 years to compile and something like 180TB worth of still images, but you get the framerate you want.

2. Re: 2nd Frag Video by GM and the community

i could just let the engine save it as tga files (maybe even jpg) and add everything together. But that would take an endless time.
    (and there would be about 6000+ files :S)

3. Re: 2nd Frag Video by GM and the community

Ok, i will do it that way ;)
    will produce a fuckload of files and editing time, but there 2 nice improvements:
    No lag, steady fps
    graphics are untouched

well, i will have to record every demo again :lol:

4. Re: 2nd Frag Video by GM and the community

status report ;)
    after i tried to directly export as avi, and had about 10 crashes of TF2, i am now compiling every fuckin sequence with VirtualDub.
    (1000+ files + wav sound => xvid avi.)
    currently building beau's first one...

5. Re: 2nd Frag Video by GM and the community

lol, looks like i'm the only one posting.

Ok guys, here is my problem: Recording works fine now, the FPS are ok (fixed 30), but the INGAME sounds are not sync with the video material. Seems i cant fix it, because it becomes better to the end of a clip and if i push the sound forward, at the end it's messed up again.

So i think i'll just remove the ingame sound, even if it sucks a bit *DOMINATING* is nice :/

6. Re: 2nd Frag Video by GM and the community

You could always make the sounds play very very quiet in the background (noone will notice if it's out of sync :lol:), and then "highlight" stuff.
    For example a lucky rocket kill, you shoot a rocket to the other side of the map and someone jumps in to your rocket.
    The only indication of the kill is the top-right fragbox, and the change in your Kills.

So get some brutal gibxploding sounds to highlight the kill.

7. Re: 2nd Frag Video by GM and the community

ok, another thing i noticed...
    if YOU lag during the recording, there will be a lag when i play it back, too.
    So turn down the graphics and fancy stuff when you make demos :P
    (noticed this before, when i recorded john's round-end pwnage, sometimes it was faster and then it became slower (normal) again.)

8. Re: 2nd Frag Video by GM and the community

I'm not familiar with the recording process, but I know quite a bit of demo's in general.
    First off, this is very unlikely.
    Demo files are just rows and rows of text, writing down what happens.
    The demo file does not(!) include any kind of settings or options of the recorders preferences.
    The process does not "burn" the graphics used by the recorder onto the demo.

Your TF2 just reads what's in the demo file and plays it back.

An another explanation is that FPS and/or latency affects to the outcome of the demo file.
    Again, unlikely in such a new game, as it could just read it in to a cache and write it when there's less explosions going off.
    In old games like Quake2, high latency made the demo go poop, but that's like ooold.

9. Re: 2nd Frag Video by GM and the community

Buuut the source engine is based around the cpu, and if the cpu lags the demo is going to suffer (less client-side ticks)

10. Re: 2nd Frag Video by GM and the community

Urgh.. I know nothing about basing around stuff.
    But, "client-side tick", mmkay?

Why would less client-side ticks affect the outcome of a demo, as the engine knows what happened even if the CPU couldn't keep up with the picture.
    Unless the engine pitys the fool and won't tell the CPU everything that happens, so the CPU would have an easier time writing everything down to a demo file.

11. Re: 2nd Frag Video by GM and the community

hows it all going waebi? u sorted those things u were asking me about yet?

12. Re: 2nd Frag Video by GM and the community

Just read some stuff off the shoutbox, I don't know if you were joking or semi-joking or what with the 13:37 length, but I can tell you from experience:
    When you are creating a fragvideo, don't set up any high goals from the start.
    In fact, this hint concerns everything you create, now here's why..
    Let's say you get a good bunch of material for the movie, you stick them together but won't do anything final because you planned to have a lot more stuff.
    After that, there's a little while when you won't get any material, so you go watch over the stuff you got together so far.
    Now here's where it all starts, when you look at something you made a while back, you see so much more in it, you notice the mistakes and all.
    You start "fixing" the stuff, when all of a sudden, everyone has over 9000 demos for you, stress ensues.

This ended up to be a horror/beware!/toldya!/story -post, but still it has happened too many times.
    DON'T set up any high goals!

13. Re: 2nd Frag Video by GM and the community

do you have a deadline for frag demos?

14. Re: 2nd Frag Video by GM and the community

not atm ;)
    see even you may send me some, if they are better, i'll kick the worst ones out. But i have only so less atm, it doesnt matter. Think i have to play some other classes :S

15. Re: 2nd Frag Video by GM and the community

what i n!ce guy you are...

16. Re: 2nd Frag Video by GM and the community

:P
    i say i take them in, but if i have too much frags (will never happen if this goes on that way) then i'll kick the worst ones out of the players where i have THE MOST frags :P
    better? ;)

17. Re: 2nd Frag Video by GM and the community

updated first post with logo and information. n8 ;)

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)

Users found this page by searching for:

1. shitty settings