Alt puts pc in sleep mode.

Discussion in 'Hardware and Software' started by Subv, 8 Jul 2015.

1. Subv You ain't even lord of your yard

So today I had this problem pop up randomly, when I pressed alt, the computer went into sleep mode, I started investigating, I did some trouble shooting and found someone with the same problem but no fix, so I did the basic stuff, I redownloaded drivers and it didn't fix it, opened the keyboard and cleaned around the area, and that didn't work either, I did some software checks and everything seems to be fine, so I concluded it to be a hardware problem, until I tried it in safemode, and it worked fine in safemode, so it also can be a software problem, but I checked with another keyboard, and it didn't have the problem, furthermore, if I use the keyboard on the laptop it has the same problem, so I conclude it's hardware problem, so i'm at a loss really, this is the weirdest problem i've ever had.

Help me tech wizards, @Dark @Luna @Geit @NomNom Chompski

2. Humpers GM's Resident #420 Twatmeister General

Sure you haven't just managed to bind the alt key to put the laptop into sleep mode somehow?

3. Cookies4you Crippling Pickling Prickling Disorder

If it's fine in safe mode, then you have a software problem.

Go to your Task Manager and start scanning for stuff.

It might be something as simple as a keyboard macro program intercepting one keyboard but not the other.

4. You've fucked your keyboard, probably via spilling something in it as they're fairly bulletproof

The scan code for right alt down is extremely close to the keycode for acpi sleep down (a key that is rarely seen on keyboards nowadays but that windows still supports) - E0 38 vs E0 3F respectively. If you're also seeing it trigger from left alt as well then the issue is two-fold and your keyboard also is sending the extended/'right' bit (E0) when it shouldn't

You might be able to fix it via giving it a deep clean (particularly the membrane layers and the controller board), but you should probably just buy a new keyboard

Last edited: 8 Jul 2015
    • Wizard Wizard x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  5. Subv You ain't even lord of your yard

fixed it, I opened up the back and poke around and it seems to be working on the laptop atleast
    weird thing is, the problem was in left alt, right alt worked fine, also, why didn't it happen in safemode?

6. I ninja'd in an edit

Either safe mode doesn't have sleep (90% sure this is the case), or ignores the acpi sleep button

7. -M-m- herpderp

8. Try this.
    Control Panel > Power Options > (select the power option you prefer) > Change Plan Settings > Change Advance Power Settings > Power Buttons and lid > Sleep button action - Set to 'Do nothing'

*It worked perfectly for me

Somee
    This message by Somee has been hidden due to negative ratings. (Show message)
  9. silly billy

10. Thanks Bro.... That worked for me... almost i found a dead mammoth in my keyboard :D

• Late Late x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • Douglas Douglas x 1
    • List

11. I'm glad you found this post helpful :)

12. Vallun I don't take drugs I just take naps.

What the heck

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)

Users found this page by searching for:

1. when i press alt my computer sleeps

2. Alt sleep

3. bulletproffmycomputer.com

4. pressing alt causes sleep,
  5. alt tab sleep mode,
  6. pressing the windows key puts the pc to sleep,
  7. alt key sleep mode,
  8. alt tab puts my pc to sleep,
  9. laotop goes sleep when right shift left alt pressed,
  10. laptop went sleep when pressing alt shift start