Backup and hard drive problems

Discussion in 'Hardware and Software' started by Queenie, 24 May 2015.

1. Queenie Don't tell me what to do!!!

Since a week or two my computer has been giving me errors when I start up. It says it is not able to perform any back ups and that I should contact the supplier to see if the hard drive can be fixed.
    It is not telling me what exactly the problem is with the drive either. I tried doing the back up as well but it keeps failing saying there is not enough space even though there is.

Has anybody had similar problems and able to fix it?

2. -M-m- herpderp

Get crystaldiskinfo and look up the health of the drive and try uploading the most important stuff in zip files too onedrive which could store most stuff with its 15 GB capacity that is free.
    Id keep the disk usage minimal until the most important stuff is moved to another physical harddrive since it may fail within a week at worst even within a few hours.

3. Rioter Mad man box wearing lunatic for President

Screenshot the error message if you can. Can then identify where the problems occuring.

4. Queenie Don't tell me what to do!!!

Theres nothing important on the harddrive. I store everything on an external drive.

Also the errors are in dutch. But it literally says I ugently need to do an update and when I do there is never enough space. I can try to take a pic of the start up screen and maybe @Squallkitty knows what the problem is.

5. -M-m- herpderp

As i wrote earlier check what errors and in what state the drive is with crystaldiskinfo.

http://osdn.jp/projects/crystaldiskmark/downloads/63188/CrystalDiskMark4_0_3a.zip/?use_mirror=jaist
    You should see if it reports good/ healthy with blue around it.
    (Healthy and still good for use with no problems for another few years to come)

warning with yellow
    (Keep a watch on the drive as it might turn worse later but in this state it still works fairly well but id reconsider saving any important stuff on it.)

warning with red around it.
    (It might fail at any time completely).
    if its in warning in red the drive might die within minutes, hours or days,weeks, or months depending on how much errors reporting as red that its reporting at the time.
    Its inconcusive pretty much when it fails completely by then.

6. take screenshots anyway, the more important thing is how the message appears not what is actually written

from what youve described so far this could be anywhere from a failing hard disk to oem bloatware glitching out

7. Squallkitty GM's #1 Streamer!

if you can send a pic my way with the error either here or on fb ill see what i can find.

edit: do you know what the manufacturer is of the drive?

edit 2: could also be a virus like this http://malwaretips.com/blogs/reminder-your-computer-is-not-backed-up-virus/ though i doubt that.

Last edited: 24 May 2015
  8. Cookies4you Crippling Pickling Prickling Disorder

9. Queenie Don't tell me what to do!!!

Okido. Will take screenshots and will post them.

10. Queenie Don't tell me what to do!!!

Attached Files:

Last edited: 25 May 2015
  11. Fuck me that's really bad then, backup any important data to usb/dropbox/etc ASAP

You will need to get a new hard disk and reinstall windows etc

12. Queenie Don't tell me what to do!!!

Is it even possible to replace the drive or should I not even bother?
    I also have no clue how this happened. I don't download anything to my computer.

13. Squallkitty GM's #1 Streamer!

replacing it is not that hard, only thing is you would need to reinstall everything probably.
    if you have backups from the complete windows install would make that not needed though.

how old is the pc you are using?

14. Queenie Don't tell me what to do!!!

Pc is only 3 years old and had 2 years warrent :/. Fucking things was 600 euros

Nico was wondering if the recovery disk that is given with the computer wont give problems? Something about a code that is linked to everything in the computer?

15. It's very easy to replace a hard disk. Just get someone here to walk you through it

Hard disks have finite lifetimes, it doesn't matter how you are using your computer, it's simply a matter of time. As I said above you got particularly unlucky with the disk that was in your computer, which is known to have an extremely high fail rate after 3 years. But at the same time you got lucky - a lot of hard disk failures just die completely, giving you no chance to recover any data.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  16. Queenie Don't tell me what to do!!!

Oh wow.. i am lucky then!!!

Can you reccomend a drive? Or do you need more info?

17. Squallkitty GM's #1 Streamer!

what is the make and model of the PC?
    and does it have a HDD or an SSD?
    if you have an HDD i would recommend a SSD because of the speed and performance.

if you need help i could hop over to your place and help with the install and config :)

18. Queenie Don't tell me what to do!!!

It has an HDD. Not sure if this info will help.

Attached Files:

19. Cookies4you Crippling Pickling Prickling Disorder

Ah! Moonspeak!

20. -M-m- herpderp

I guess its a tower you have rather then a laptop ?
    Im guessing any desktop 3.5 inch hdd with sata will work in it.

But I'd go for a ssd as well for the extra speed available in general on it, and why not invest a bit of cash for a better graphics card at the same time a 2320.
    Something like a gt 740 or R7 250 would work fine as a replacement for that card and bring up the performance a bit more for it to be possible to play a bit more recent games on at least low settings 720p at pretty decent framerates.

(Ofc give them a description of what you need to work and what games you'll need to have working at least on medium - high settings at 1080p or higher for example.)
    Along with asking for a cheap harddrive from western digital along with a ssd having the operating system instead of just a harddrive if you have the cash available at the moment.
    (120 gb ssd should be enough for the os and a few smaller games.)

Maybe you can talk to a computer shop about upgrading the computer a bit and see what they suggest parts wise, ask for a new powersupply, graphics card around maybe 80€ too 170€ and harddrive since the harddrive is about to fail on it.

But you have already done the job of doing a backup of what you need on another drive ofc tell that that before leaving the computer over too them and ask about additional costs for the work they will be doing.

So they dont need to mess around with that too much other then creating a backup On the windows and moving that too the new ssd or harddrive.
    Depends on which one you can afford at the moment id say.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)