Battlefield 1942 now f2p

Discussion in 'Battlefield Series' started by Reag, 5 Nov 2012.

1. Reag My name is an anagram for a reason

Battlefield 1942 Origin Digital Download FAQ
    Q: Is it really free?
    A: Yes! To celebrate the 10th anniversary of Battlefield 1942, we are offering the full game at no cost. We want everyone to be able to see where it all started.

Q: When is it available on Origin?
    A: It’s live now under the free games and demos section! Head to this URL to download it: http://origin.com/demos

Q: Where can I learn more about Battlefield 1942?
    A: At this recently updated product page: http://www.battlefield.com/battlefield-1942 and at this games page on dice.se: http://dice.se/games/battlefield-1942.

Q: Is this a remake of Battlefield 1942?
    A: No. This is the original game Battlefield 1942, for the first time available as a digital download on Origin.

Q: Does this free digital download version include an of the expansion packs originally released for Battlefield 1942 (The Road to Rome and Secret Weapons of WWII)?
    A: No.

Q: Can I play online against players who have the original disc-based version?
    A: No. This Origin digital download version can only be played against other players who are using the same version. But since it’s free for everyone, everyone can download their own copy of the game. This version of the game will only show applicable (new) servers in the server browser.

Q: What are the differences between this version and the original disc-based version of Battlefield 1942?
    A: No practical differences. We have done some under the hood work to make this game from 2002 work as a digital download title on Origin.

Q: Can I run a server for the game?
    A: Yes, you can easily run a server from the front end menu within the game client. This server will be visible to all other players via the server browser.

Q: Can I run a dedicated server for the game?
    A: Yes, you can run a dedicated server by running the file “DedicatedServer.exe”. It is located in the folder where you installed Battlefield 1942 through Origin. This will present you with all available settings, maps and modes for you to customize before pressing the button “launch server”. This server will be visible to all other players via the server browser.

Q: Do you have official servers set up?
    A: We are setting up new servers specifically for this release of the game. You should find them by searching for the phrase “EA PUBLIC”.

Q: I have problems connecting to online games
    A: Please note that a sudden surge of players into Battlefield 1942 may make online play temporarily unstable. If this happens, please try again later.

Q: Can I use this version of the game together with old Battlefield 1942 mods?
    A: This is untested and we cannot guarantee any mod functionality. Sporadic testing leads us to believe that Desert Combat 0.7 works, as well as Eve of Destruction 2.5. For more discussion on popular mods, head to the new Battlelog forums we have set up specifically for this release of Battlefield 1942. Please share your findings on which mods work and which do not.

Q: Will I need to manually patch this version of the game?
    A: No. This version includes any updates needed. If we were to update this version of the game in the future (this is not likely), we will do so via Origin.

Q: I have a question that is not answered here. Where do I go?
    A: Please note that while we are proud to present this game to all of our fans after 10 years, we are not able to actively support it from a customer support standpoint. Tailoring this disc based game to work as a digital download title has been a labor of love from us at DICE, and we are very proud to be able to offer this classic to everyone for free.

However, we are not able to support it the same way we are supporting Battlefield 3 and its expansion packs. We are hoping that those who find Battlefield 1942 interesting will have patience with any issues they experience and that they will help each other on the EA Answer HQ at http://answers.ea.com/.

We are also opening up a new forum section on Battlelog where you can discuss Battlefield 1942 and specifically this Origin release of the game.

Bet most of the people here are too young to remember this game.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  2. Nice try EA.

3. I remember my dad buying this game for me and my brother, he mistakingly bought the expansion pack that required the actual game.

He meant well. :3:

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  4. I actually also remember this, a great deal of fun, and man I was so horrible at flighting things.

5. imFree (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

I'll give it a go.

6. If I enjoyed BF2 and BC2, would I like this? How does it differ from these two?

7. Cookies4you Crippling Pickling Prickling Disorder

I remember this game...

This was my 2nd favorite PC game, next to Fable, before I had internet.

I remember wasting time against bots and mowing them down on the "Easy" difficulty.

Ah... Good times...

And then I got internet.

8. Reag My name is an anagram for a reason

Hugely.

9. One of my first and favorite war-games and then they defile this by putting it on Origin Q_Q

Baggy and I used to go to the Desert map and then travel to the little town furthest north and play a little game. One was on the ground with a bazooka while the other one was flying around in a plane trying to bomb the guy on the ground. The guy on the ground had to shoot down the plane with the bazooka. Quite entertaining and let to some rather awesome moments that looked like skill but was completely dictated by luck xD

10. Jolly Long Arm The Moon... It's far away!

I remember trying to add my old CD keys to origin and apparently it was messed up and didn't recognise games older then the program wish was made only last year -_-
    i have the BF1942 collection somewhere
    [​IMG]
    that is what I have now worth NOTHING!

THATS crap so i have to have 2 versions on my pc :(

Last edited by a moderator: 28 Dec 2016
  11. Reag My name is an anagram for a reason

Can't do much about that, the origin build is completely new with some major patches and streamlining, plus a whole new server client.
    It just isn't compatible with the old retail versions and EA didn't allow Dice the time to make it work with them.

In short it was a rushed quick build because EA wanted it.

12. The MC Official GM PropHunt Manager

Goodnight my sweet disc version

13. Does it differ hugely or will I enjoy it hugely? :P

14. The first.

15. Cactus The key is to never give up

No tears... only dreams now...

16. gonna empty my whats new pls die

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    • Mad Mad x 1
    • List
  17. meh, Origin, meh it's not BF: Vietnam

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)

Users found this page by searching for:

1. battlefield 1942 f2p

2. bf 1942 f2p

3. battlefield vietnam f2p

4. games like battlefield 1942,
  5. battlefield 1942 disc 2,
  6. bf1942 f2p,
  7. f2p game dedicated server,
  8. ield 1942 now,
  9. battle field f2p,
  10. bf 1942 f2p problem