BoB vs GM Sunday 10 August @ 8PM UK Time (7pm GMT)

Discussion in 'Events' started by Core, 8 Aug 2008.

1. Re: BoB vs GM Sunday 10 August @ 8PM UK Time (7pm GMT)

I believe it was 7:0 on Granary and 6:1 on Badlands?

2. Re: BoB vs GM Sunday 10 August @ 8PM UK Time (7pm GMT)

About the 10v10 thing, must say i agree to some extent.
    Perhaps it was our teamwork or what, i dont know? Especially granary...Granary was just not fun at all, whenever i tried to rocket jump onto the containers there were always two demomen shooting me, going to the next container (out of their sight) lead to getting raped by a level 1 sentry. So i died at that point every single time. By the time i respawned going out into the open area of the middle spawn was pointless as well, two medics keeping everyone @ 150% and at least a heavy and demo covering the left side.
    I love granary, but like this it was just not fun, not annoying either but it was like eating cardboard. Basically in granary, wherever i went there were five people waiting for me.
    Badlands, even though we lost miserably there as well, was fun imo. At least it wasnt always a 5v1, perhaps its because the map is more open that it is more suitable for 10v10s? The fact that i had to go medic rendered me useless for like 7 minutes though.

Overall, im not quite sure how we lost so badly. I doubt their individual skill level is higher than ours, for every 1v1 ive had in the match, ive won, save for like 2 (could be more but atleast it felt that way, rewarding and all that :D).
    Still, it felt like every member on their team was always shooting at everyone on our team at the same time. Their demos played a prominent role in that, limiting movement and putting me, and undoubtetly many of us, check-mate often.
    We obviously have a lot of work to do. I sure do hope that getting 'pwned' every now and then isnt going to drag down the morale too much.
    Personally i found granary boring because i really felt like i wasnt achieving anything at all. On badlands there was more opportunity for decent actions and therefor i enjoyed that. Winning or losing doesnt matter to me as long as it's fair. I hope you all feel the same way.
    I apoligize for this rant-ness and even though i used I a lot i think it can be applied to everyone of us.
    We need to play vs them again sometime soon :)
    @ Piss : 8-1 on badlands

3. Bun

Re: BoB vs GM Sunday 10 August @ 8PM UK Time (7pm GMT)

I thought I did good as a sniper in the beginning of BL.:D

4. Th-

I must take a look at the STV demos before I start talking too much. Anathema, I pretty much agree on everything on your post. We shall see how this turns out. This is not a bad day even if we were utterly defeated.

I can say something vital about the reason why we lost granary so bad: They always took the high ground and as Ana said, they concentrated their fire to keep us off the containers. I'll get back to this soon. Meanwhile every opinion of tonight's match must be heard. This is not a bad day. We learned. And much.

5. Re: BoB vs GM Sunday 10 August @ 8PM UK Time (7pm GMT)

Agreed that we learned a lot from that - I will post my thoughts tomorrow :)

6. Re: BoB vs GM Sunday 10 August @ 8PM UK Time (7pm GMT)

We probably have, i just dont see it yet :lol:
    I know what they did, but other than saying :Let's do the same and hope for the best", i dunno how to counter their tactics :)
    Tactical people, you have work to do. Ive been horrible in tactics in most games so far, once i know what to do ill be k, but making up tactics myself? I think not :D

7. Re: BoB vs GM Sunday 10 August @ 8PM UK Time (7pm GMT)

Tactic does not win Mathes at this skill LVL, individual skill does..

As long people are Playing Goldrush/DB.. And not trying to be a better allrounder, things will not be better.

Pracitce, play some pugs... So for now ill just play with GM-Z, becourse they all want to be better.

GM is based on being freindly, so maybe we should just stay with.. GM matches.. without community people.
    Thats fun, and give you the fun of tf2, and not just killing your day

KJ.

8. Bun

I would play PUGs if I would know how the f**k I could enter one.
    Yes, I read the topic, I still don't get a shit.

9. Re: BoB vs GM Sunday 10 August @ 8PM UK Time (7pm GMT)

I'll help you getting into it the next days if you want

10. Re: BoB vs GM Sunday 10 August @ 8PM UK Time (7pm GMT)

Hokay then. That was a failure of organisation and teamwork, plain and simple. They had a well thought out plan which worked, had good players on the ground and moved together as a complete team. We didn't have a plan apart from 'go down both sides' and did half of the enemy's job by splitting the team before they arrived. The squad plan is good in theory, but when you're faced with the entire enemy team, every time, then it's not going to work :/ Their engie fucked the entire map up - our scouts couldn't take the point while the rest of the team was so spread out they couldn't get there in enough force to kill the gun. Their use of the alternative classes - spy and engie - really messed with anything we could put down, and they were obviously ALL familiar with the two maps played; I suspect we were not all up to speed on them. Also we had too much silly chatter and bickering on the mic: we really need to sort out some more organised and streamlined communication if people actually having a mic is going to make the difference is should. As for individual skill: some of us were better than some of them, some of them were better than some of us - if anything we were coming away from the 1 v 1s on top, just we weren't getting nearly enough of those to make the difference. KJ I have to disagree I think tactics come into it "at this level" - they were not more skilled than us, just much more organised and tactically aware. In larger games tactics always come into the equation :/ Also Z are not the only people who want to 'get better' – please don’t assume you are :) So, in convenient bullet point form, [GM] failed because:

1) They moved together as a complete team.
    2) We didn’t
    3) Their engie took our scouts out of the equation – they couldn’t ninja points while the gun was there, nor were they as effective as usual at taking out stragglers because the gun limited where they could move, while point 1 ensured that medic fragging was difficult because they were rarely vulnerable.

If I can think of anything else i'll post it - it would be nice to get everyone else's opinions of this :)

11. Th-

I have watched the STV demo of the bob_vs_gm_granary several times from different perspectives and come to a conclusion why we failed so bad. If you don't have the demo, go download it and take a look yourself. Watch all the fights on the midpoint in the beginning of every round...

From the demo one can see that we failed to work in squads and support each other. Our lines were breached every single round and they got into our flanks from the openings. Some times we were about to get to upper hand but their reinforcements cleared the area every time... we didn't get to their 2nd point even once. Now, assuming still that we are roughly equally skilled its the teamplay we failed the most and the match went down with it. As Pissmidget pointed out our communication was inefficient, we really do need to set certain rules limiting the useless info. Lets try out having separate channels the next time, vent for squads' internal comm and ingame for other reports for example. One can clearly see from the demo that medic+class pairs as well as all other players could have worked better together with more reports and simply fail less. Now to the main point that I would like to discuss...

Please understand that I've thought a long time should I come forward with my thoughts at all, this is quite hard for me to say (thats why its three days after the match when I write this). But its the honest opinion that you want, right? Nothing more, nothing less. Okay, here we go...

Every member in the GM community - is highly skilled... on pubs. Remember that we are GM mostly because of our extraordinary performance on public servers, NOT in competitive matches with teamplay. Only a small part of ppl here are good teamplayers, most have no clue (this is mildly put). Think about the last match with bob, we won Goldrush and drew in Dustbowl. They are the maps that this community plays the most, maps that fill the servers. They are pub-maps. Their layouts don't require too much teamplay, thats why we did so well! But Fastlane("this map blows"). Badlands("I haven't rly played this map b4..."). Granary ("...pro_granary? Hold on I'm downloading the map..."). Maps that simply require more teamplay, more skill. We failed. Other servers are rarely full because the community members don't usually play other maps than GR and DB..!

The goal in a clanwar is very different from the universal goal on pubs. Its not scoring points, its about doing your part in the team so the team succeeds! Its about playing with the right mindset. I must confess that was surprised by how... well... I can't fkin say this! --

Watch the demo a few times, keep an eye on a certain player, any player, see how he acts his class's role in the team. Think about how you acted the role of your class, in the squad, in the team. I noticed that even I forgot my role... to contain, to support. Even changed my class midway! But.. pointing fingers and naming failures will not help at all. Trust me, I've been there, I know. We are a team. Think about it, how did you do? You MUST do this yourself, here. Evaluate you performance. Learn. As I said before, this was not a bad day, we learned. What did you learn?

You might read between the lines how I feel... In case you don't like the sound of it.. PROVE ME WRONG! See the arguments, see the demo, can you honestly disagree?

12. Vacoy some sort of fucking fish

ill download the demo, and watch it. will be my first time I watch one because I never knew how.
    I know I was talking a lot of crap. I was upset in real and I also know I shouldnt have bothered you guys in the match with that.
    I left after the first mapchange because I thought it would be better to let someone play who could concentrate.
    However, I just need to learn to set real life aside in matches.
    I am sure my mom will never understand that. <quote/> its just a game. not important </quote>

Oh one thing, I'm sorry I left in the middle of the match :S

EDIT: wait, where's the demo? O.O

EDIT: got demo, but tf2 just wont play it, wtf?
    I load the file. and nothing happened? anyone knows what's wrong? :S please help! :O

13. Re: BoB vs GM Sunday 10 August @ 8PM UK Time (7pm GMT)

steam is fooked atm, so...

ok, open up your console and tell me what it says in there when trying to load it. could be a broken demo :S

14. Vacoy some sort of fucking fish

HA! indeed!!!!!!

playdemo <demoname> : plays a demo file
    Unknown command "demopauseafterinit"

15. Vacoy some sort of fucking fish

works now!
    CORE!!!!!!!!!!
    YOUR FAULT! IT HAD TO BE STORED IN TF FOLDER! :(

J/k mate, im happy it all works! :D cheers waebi! :D

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)