BoB vs GM Sunday 27 July @ 9PM UK Time

Discussion in 'Events' started by Core, 20 Jul 2008.

1. Th-

Re: BoB vs GM Sunday 27 July @ 9PM UK Time

@ Myke and everyone

When ppl are used to a chain of command and the tasks and the role of their class they dont necessarily have to be used to each other. Provided of course is that we have a leader who is skilled in commanding several ppl at the same time. But since we didn't even have the habit of reporting all enemy movement, a leader (if we had one) couldn't have worked as efficiently as possible without constant updates of the battlefield's current status.

One thing that makes leading troops much easier in a larger team is dividing ppl to squads. For instance 10v10 cl3, ml2 dl2 we could have 2 scouts, 2 demos, 2 heavies, 2 soldiers and 2 medics. Squads could be "scouts", usually working in pairs, "team1(or squad1)" and "team 2" of 1 medic, 1 heavy, 1 soldier and 1 demo each. The squads would have their own leaders who are responsible for reporting to the captain, who could of course be leading 1 of the squads himself. This works extremely well - trust me, I have some experience with things like this.

I said in the last post that the classes only accidentally supported each other. Now with the pre-determined squads every class has a specific role in the squad. Heavies for harrassing long range and killing short range, soldiers for helping out the heavy and for a deadly long range effect and demo for setting traps, holding position, artillery in open areas etc. Medics stick with their squads. Scouts pick what they can, slow down enemy retreats and reinforcements and IMO most importantly report enemy activity to the captain.

With the ongoing fight and the fact that in battle things never go as planned the leading will obviously become seriously harder, but that's another topic in itself.

Now, if the enemy doesn't have system as efficient as ours they would have to have MUCH more individual skill to defeat us. Should they have a similar team system it just comes down to the individual skill, the captain's leadership and routine.

What do you think of this ppl? Would anyone like to try this?

One problem we had last night was that we really had no leader. If you don't want to take command Core, please assign it to someone and lay down the rules. Would you comment these posts as well, I would be very interested in hearing you opinion.

Th

Oh and one more thing: If you see my posts as a sign of arrogance... there's no need for that. I simply have some relevant knowledge. If you have any ideas that work or might work better than mine, please come forward with them. That's why we're talking here anyway, to improve.

2. Re: BoB vs GM Sunday 27 July @ 9PM UK Time

I agree with all the above, there was no clear leader. I wasn't supposed to be playing in this match but had to sub at the last minute so it was all quite rushed.

In future I agree a commander of the match should be appointed and many in GM do a much better job at that than I.

However it is good to see that these issues are being discussed.

3. Re: BoB vs GM Sunday 27 July @ 9PM UK Time

Hmmm, Th, you made me think of my own role as leader for F. Fuck... i really have to work on that!
    You are right, a team (no matter if gaming or not) can just be effective when everyone knows his role and sticks to the rules of this role.

I am interested in playing Team Fortress the way you proposed it, so you have my support for any upcoming event for which you wonna practice that.

4. Th-

Thank you Myke.

Im actually really looking forward to fighting in a larger-than-6 coordinated team... It can be really fun. I'll see you around ingame then.

5. Re: BoB vs GM Sunday 27 July @ 9PM UK Time

I had fun tbh, good to see people trying to win.. And about leader in a match, uhm yep, but i think we did okay.

@Agree Th.

-KJ

6. Re: BoB vs GM Sunday 27 July @ 9PM UK Time

Let's try out what Th suggested in the next war, shall we? :)

7. Th-

Its great that we have support for this coordinated teamplay idea... excellent! We should start a discussion about the elements ín this kind of clan war, we have experts of every class in our community, sandman, bun, waebi, seXsi just to name a few. I believe there is quite much into this thing, I would like to hear thoughts from everyone who is interested... Now that the teams can be so big, we can actually use every class - as opposed to a competitive 6v6 play - so all opinions are valued.

So... would you ppl like to start a topic on the subject?

8. Protantus Original Member

Guys, great to read and I agree with most. Couple of points.

There is no way that for 10 v 10 we are going to get a settled side. To counter his I am very much in favour of couplets or triplet i.e. small groups of players who reguarly play togeter and get a feel for how they play. Obvious ones are Medic and Heavy, supporting engineers etc.

Command is not an easy job, we need to have some guys trained in this - it is not a higher/greater role, just a different one, and one that the likes of Disco do well. I would suggest 4-5 GM act in this role and practice at it. To do this, any time they are on GM servers, other GM should pay attention. And maybe some specific practice matches are in order. I would suggest they walk any empty GM server together and discuss options. Not an easy role. When they are not available in a match (respawning) I would suggest there is also a deputy.

Voice comms are essential. Any favour in limiting players to those that have mics and test before hand. It is a bit draconian, but for inter clan matches maybe a requirement?

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)