[Concept] TF2 Racemod

Discussion in 'Team Fortress 2' started by Dark, 2 Jun 2010.

1. [Concept] TF2 Racemod

tl;dr - [insert racing game] combined with TF2.

We discussed this idea a while ago (credit to Apex for the original idea), but I never managed to get a working proof of concept put together.

Today I went back to it out of boredom, and I've finally got something that works! :D

I've basically got a balloon race style vehicle in the form of a func_tracktrain, except it is fully controllable and most importantly, other players stay on it while it's moving. :dance:

Once I get a decent control scheme put together for the driver, and write code for acceleration, friction, steering, better slope detection, etc., the possibilities with this are fucking endless.

My original vision for the gamemode went something like this: Two teams, two vehicles, two drivers (selected at random or by vote). It will then essentially be a race - not like balloon race with CPs or payload race with a fixed path, but a proper race. Like balloon race and payload race, maximum speed will be dictated by the number of alive players on the vehicles. Unlike balloon race, it will not easily turn one sided, and there is far more involved than simply sniper/soldier skill. And there's so much detail that could be added - fuel, pitstops, vehicle damage, checkpoints, lap timers, etc. etc. And yes, there will be sentries.

Anyway no real point to this thread, just letting you all know that the next PropHunt is coming ^^ (slowly)

Also mappers - this will need plenty of maps, and you can just imagine how awesome it will be to map for. ;)

Last edited: 27 Nov 2013
  2. Cookies4you Crippling Pickling Prickling Disorder

Just turn everyone to a truck and be done with it

3. Pong Lenis blaming goat since 2010

was this post really necessery?

The idea of a racing mod sounds interesting, great that the players are staying on the vehicle while moving.
    Will the other team be able to kill the driver, so the vehicle will stop / crash into the barricade around the track (if there is one)? In this case, voting for a driver would take to long time IMO.
    Something like a pit stop could be a great idea, too.
    I kinda like the concept, do you have any concrete ideas of how the vehicle moves? My first idea of gameplay is:

The two teams enter their vehicle (maybe an oversized cart?) and one player becomes the driver (in which way soever). When the race starts, both teams try to finish first while they're shooting each other and try to kill the driver of the other team (which will cause the vehicle to stop / crash into something). If the driver is hit, another player must get into his position and continue the race. The teams could spawn maybe in a seperate room (like baloon race) and then either choose to be teleported into the vehicle or run across the track.
    After a time, the team needs to make a pit stop (maybe you could add something like a fuel system) to refill the vehicle. If not, it will break down on the track and they have to push it to the pit stop (maybe add aroom on the back where the vehicle moves slowly).

Is that in the sort of what you had in mind or are my ideas totally different?

4. Yup you're thinking along the right lines :)

And killing the driver was something I hadn't thought of - I was thinking of making them invincible and the permanent driver for that round. But being able to kill the driver (perhaps they should have a juggernaut-style shield) would add yet another twist to the gameplay :)

I've thought of a couple of possible control schemes for the driver so far:

- Standard WASD
    - W/S for forward and break/reverse and aim/click to place waypoints (path_track)

Obviously WASD would be preferable, but I have been having some issues with turning tightly knocking players off :(

Although with any luck fiddling with the payload entities should get it working a bit better.

Pushing the vehicle might be slightly easier said than done, but otherwise that's very similar to what I had in mind. And since the only HUD that would actually function with things the way I have them is the CP one, fuel could be represented by extremely slow capping control points which would slowly tick down. Then when that team enters the pit stop the cap becomes enabled and they can capture the point to refuel.

Also speaking of the HUD, I'm probably going to need to display fuckloads of stuff - speed, lap timer, players in vehicle etc.

5. Pong Lenis blaming goat since 2010

I havn't thought of a shield for the driver but more something more skill-like, perhaps just a little window through which the driver can be hit, so the players need the "perfect shot" (tm) to kill him. Once the driver is down, the vehicle stops and another player needs to get in the driver position to make it move again. the drivers "seat" could be a small cabin in front of the vehicle or something like that...
    for the movement, the speed of the vehicle should be depending on the numbers of players sitting in it, just like in baloon race. this should force the players to better stand on it than running around the track. So, the driver only needs to steer left / right, which would be better controlled by keys than "point-to-point-clicking". Hopefully, that works.

Unfortunately, I'm not very familiar with the possibilities of TF2, but for pushing the vehicle once it ran out of fuel i thought of something like pushing the cart in payload... a small area behind the vehicle where the players must stand in to push it. nearly the same as if the players are sitting in it to move it, but quite slower. using a cp as refill event should work fine IMO.

The problem i see in this gamemod overall is the needed teamwork for the whole team, especially the coordination between driver and "pusher", once the vehicle runs out of fuel (the driver must know that he needs to steer to the pit and the teammates must know, that they have to get out and behind the vehicle to push it). Don't know, how big the chance is that a team not being able to work that close together ruins the whole round...

6. Your idea....* cough*

7. BeauChaotica bodyshot noob

Thing is, if you get a driver picked who's AFK or retarded, then you've got a problem. Can kick a driver out of the cab in a quick vote?

8. cenpls Original Bhoomika Gupta

Does that mean that the driver would be randomly put in by the game if you get afk drivers?

9. BeauChaotica bodyshot noob

Hmm. What about the highest scorer getting to drive next round? If it's fun =P

10. cenpls Original Bhoomika Gupta

Sounds good.

11. AgentDoubleF I just wanna make you go pop..

wait, i'm confused now. Basically each team gets a driver, and the rest battle? Is there an objective?

12. Gaw discord is my friend now

The object is to get to the end of the map, by driving. The max speed is determined by the amount of people on the bus. Depending on the map, it might be possibile to get out of the bus etc and battle, or a bus being a double decker (two floors on the bus, top one has no roof) to enable battling. Racemod really is in it's early stages though, stop asking questions :<

13. Reag My name is an anagram for a reason

Kill the other team.

14. AgentDoubleF I just wanna make you go pop..

Thanks, was kinda confused with the walls o' text by pong. Sounds really good, hopefully it's implemented well.

15. Pong Lenis blaming goat since 2010

I would say the goal is to reach the finish line first. If there is no respawning, the teams would just battle each other in the track and not necessary drive the bus (or what ever it is).
    About the driver and afk players: As the drivers IMO must get to the driving seat by himself, the problem with afk players shouldn't exist. About some fagg finding it funny to drive into wals (or something else but drive the car/bus) we must find some solution to get him out and give someone else the chance to drive. Maybe by tk'ing or blaming goat...

16. imFree (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Stop giving mad men ideas like that .. D:

17. BeauChaotica bodyshot noob

Now that's good thinking...doh >.<

Or maybe some kind of team-collaboration button-pressing exercise to aid the more simple-minded players and remove the need for some kind of SM command.

18. I'll be the fag trying to drive the wrong way around the track.

19. I was thinking more of there being laps, otherwise pitstops wouldn't really come into it :/

20. AgentDoubleF I just wanna make you go pop..

Ditto

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)

Users found this page by searching for:

1. tf2 vehicle

2. what this gacen xab