Crits?

Discussion in 'Server/Website Chat' started by Geit, 15 May 2009.

?

Crits?

Poll closed 22 May 2009.
  1. Yes

20 vote(s)
    47.6%
  2. No

22 vote(s)
    52.4%
  1. Geit Coding wizard!

Crits?

Yes or no, simple.

2. Re: Crits?

No from me, crits are based on luck, hence SCREW 'EM

3. Re: Crits?

Crits are annoying. And I'm not one of those people that whines when killed by a crit but just shuts up when I kill a bunch of people with a crit rocket myself ...

I never whine about it, but it just annoys me that someone in the server just got a kill that didn't have a thing to do with skill. If it's me critting someone else I just feel like I've lucked out of the situation and I haven't learnt anything from it.

4. Re: Crits?

I often whine in both instances >D
    As always, this is a no from me. I especially can't stand being killed by a crit by an opponent that I'm winning the fight/duel against in a game. I also hate getting lame cheap random crit kills myself, it's far more satisfying to kill them properly, or with a kritzkrieg etc.

5. Re: Crits?

I've got no preference either way - sure, it's annoying to get critted by someone you've completely outclassed or got lucky (like the heavy that got crits just as I walked around the corner as a soldier and annihilated me in under a second), but I don't find it detracts majorly from the game.

I'd be happy with crits on or off - is there no "meh" option? :p

6. Re: Crits?

Hmmm - I think we need crits on the Dustbowl server because new players come along and they need the randomness of the critical hit in order to get along and feel like they're accomplishing something.

As for the other servers (payload/ rotation etc) I think they should be turned off. It's totally based on luck and it doesn't really teach you anything.

So:

- Yes on Dustbowl
    - No on everything else.

Savage

7. Fromage "The Cheese"

Re: Crits?

After playing a lot without I'd say it should be off. Kritz is more fun than crits and involves much more skill than random ones. :)

Erik

8. Re: Crits?

I'd be inclined to argue the opposite - Dustbowl is where the masses of spam occurs as it is, and when there's so many pipe bombs etc flying around a good chunk of them are likely to be crits. Disabling them doesn't take anything away from those new players - in fact, it will likely make them better players as they get to learn to not rely on that "lucky" crit to succeed. It's also quite demoralising when you get smacked down when you're first starting out and have no idea why - I know I was confused when a crit rocket first wiped me out at full health.

9. Re: Crits?

But there again - many people may leave the server because they don't have crits. I'm not talking ultra new players and this is their first time on the game - I'm talking about people who have played for around 10 hours or so - its finding the balance - I think having crits on at least one of our servers is a must -- some people like to play with them enabled.

Although I do see where you are coming from :P

10. Reag My name is an anagram for a reason

Personally, I hate no crit servers, it's a key part of the game and its part of the wow factor.
    It's always funny seeing a cloaked spy getting crocketed, even if I am the spy.

11. Spykodemon Disabled account

Good to see the regulars who aren't registered on the forum get a vote in this :P

Also, if we turn crits off, the backburner will still do crits from behind.

If we turn crits off, the kritzkreig will still give crits uber.

This turns off RANDOM crits.

12. Obaruler German Rager/Spamer

An absoulte NO to random critz ......

(well, yes to Kritzkrieg etc. ....... all i want is to ban this element of pure luck called "random critz" from the servers)

btw: thx for the vote =)

Here ma post of the admin section about this:

This is not simple whining about me being killed by random critz (allthough ~50% of all my deaths are a result of a "lucky" shot that got random crited) ..... and its not just me that is pissed that the random crits are ruining serious duells. It cant be, that you lose 1on1 situations -that you would win in normal cases- just because the enemy got "luck" in the right moment, several games has been won through pure luck this way ......

AND its really just about the random critz, Kritzkrieg etc. really have a tactical value, but the random critz are the complete opposite of this.

Well .....
    [​IMG]

EDIT:
    Dont take this personal, but i think there are many people out there, that rely on this kind of luck ...... to compense a lack of "what you need in online games" ; )

Last edited by a moderator: 28 Dec 2016
  13. The Xtractor Certified Weeaboo

Super no for me, crits are just awefull, i hate it when i lose 1 point for a stupid crit kill that could have been a normal kil.
    and that i get owned by some noob who has some lucky crits

14. Robbiebob Non Verba, Sed Acta

I don't even have to post my opinion, you know what I vote(d)

15. Re: Crits?

Why would I take it personally? I once liked plaing with crits on, where as now I prefer them to be turnd off -- I'm just saying that the new people, like you stated in your post, get a sense of satisfaction when they take someone down of a higher skill level because of a crit. They feel as though they can improve because they killed you and so will try to get better/ keep playing. If you are so much better than they are and they can rarley kill you then they'll probably leave and not come back... D:

So I say: Yes to crits on #3 for the reason that it will attract new players who are inexperienced and rely on random crits

No because they are random crits and they kill the game for regulars of a higher skill level.

I'm not voting btw because I'm too torn D:

16. Knud Phat beats only

No for me.
    (But im fine either way.. as far as I know, the critz system is also somewhat "calculated" --> if you hit/kill people fast after each other, you get critz; But this aint always the case either)

17. Obaruler German Rager/Spamer

Well, just wanted to say, that this wasnt meant against you ....

But honestly: Do you feel better if you killed a higher skilled enemy with random critz ?! I am more feeling sick if i kill ANYONE (even total newbies) because it wasnt a "fair" kill imo, and i think that many players think like that ...... your duell with an enemy was decided by pure luck itself, there is no other way to describe it.

Where is the higher sense in having luck ? is that really motivating you ??? For me, i feel better if i am able to kill guys like StormReaper (who is still a better Demo then me) in a normal, fail duell. Where is the challenge ? Where is the satisfaction in killing him with a random-based Instant-kill ?

If you really think, that we should make new people stay on the servers who are motivated through such luck-based frags, then i have to tell you that i am willing to let such people stay AWAY from our servers .... i want to play with funny people that like fair competion, and not those ones who are proud that they had more luck then others in the right situation :/

18. Reag My name is an anagram for a reason

You do know crits are not down to luck 3/4 of the time, they are skill based, more kills you make in a single life the higher the chance of getting a crit overall is boosted by 5 or 10%.
    For example as the medic, if you can make 10/20 ubersaw kills within the timespan of about 20 minutes or less, around 7/8 of your melee shots will be crits and around 1/2 of your shots from another weapon will be crits.

It is true though that crits do come randomly at first, but it's part of the gameplay factor, it's always funny to see glowing rocket or grenade comming at your face. :dance:

There are though a few classes I wish would never get criticals on certain weapons, spy's revolver and snipers smg are just two of the them.

19. Spykodemon Disabled account

Kritzing a spy with revolver :dance:

20. Reag My name is an anagram for a reason

Oh god, it's good when the spy is on your team but not when hes on the other. :geno:

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)