Data processing PC

Discussion in 'Hardware and Software' started by Mole45, 8 Aug 2016.

1. Mole45 Dance Little Liar

Right then, you guys know a lot more about computer hardware than me so hopefully you can help me out

At work we're looking to set up a computer that's sole purpose is to download and process data, before transferring it to a storage machine on our network.
    There's a good chance that it'll be windows with ubuntu or debian running in virtual box on it, though I'll try and push for pure linux because that would make my life much easier.

SSD would be preferred and it won't be storing more than 100GB of downloaded data at any one time so it doesn't need to be massive

My boss' current plan is to get this :

So if you can do better for not much more money that'd be class.

2. NomNom Chompski BURNING LOVEEEE

Well he's off to a good start :^)

are we talking custom or pre builds? being that you're in a workplace you should get discount on bulk system orders from like Dell, HP etc. Also what kind of data? video? text? just a throw out of the blue:
    Skylake Core i3 2c/4T something high clocked aka over 3GHz base clock
    8-16GB DDR3L/DDR4, DDR3L is cheaper, got to watch compatibility though.
    Personally MSI boards are great so any H chipset motherboard is a good middle ground

as far as storage its a tough one, a pure SSD system will get thrashed with 100GB's GB daily work, it wont last long so the logical option would be:
    Samsung 250GB 850 EVO/PRO is a high performance SSD so shit loads fast
    WD Caviar Black 1/2TB for the data processing.
    Again though, depends on the data, if its high importance and corruption is not an option you'd be looking at the entry grade workstation route which is C232/C236 and ECC memory with a E3 v5 Xeon. Need more info on the "data" to say though.

3. Mole45 Dance Little Liar

Apologies for not getting back to you sooner but my boss had already gone ahead and ordered that dell. Thanks for trying to help though.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)

Users found this page by searching for:

1. data processing for gaming computers