Dedi is back up

Discussion in 'Server/Website Chat' started by Dark, 16 Jul 2011.

1. Firstly apologies for the downtime - if I had spent an extra day testing during the initial build this would likely never have happened.

It seems my latest diagnosis was correct - the 24-pin motherboard power connector was put under considerable force for the lid to close, and had gradually expanded slightly due to the nature of the wires, pushing the motherboard down on to the exposed area around a screw hole. Due to the height of a 1u rack case there are essentially no standoffs worth talking about, so the motherboard only needed to travel a mm or two to short out, which is exactly what happened and explains exactly why the problem got gradually worse to the stage where it wouldn't even turn on.

Anyway, we somehow convinced Rioter to drive down to London (100 miles each way, hnnnnng) and take a look. He quickly solved the problem by blasting the server with insulating tape.

Thanks again Rioter, we would be fucked without you :V

2. Thanks Rioter. :D

3. Rioter Mad man box wearing lunatic for President

:awesome:

Right, on the long way back from Hemel hempsted, stopped by at Reading services since I am starving. Should be back soon.

Oh, and it's more like 110 miles there and back. had to take a diversion on way back because damn roadworks.

I am a Simon Wheatley wizard you see...

4. Reag My name is an anagram for a reason

Got one very happy /v/ now.

5. Rioter Mad man box wearing lunatic for President

OK, now back home in the shire, having my teal at... nearly 1am. Joyful.

The dedi is now working, with the problem I bloody hope resolved. Involves a lot of white insulating tape covering holes and nuts, but it's done what I wanted it to do, stop the shorting.

Now I bloody hope the ~230 miles I had to drive, on a congested M4/M25 on a Saturday evening was worth it. Seems that it was, which is brill.

Enjoy folks. Now I'm sleeping!!!! Inb4 Dark rings me in 7 hours saying the dedi's a la fucked.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)

Users found this page by searching for:

1. back gamin masters