[DISCUSSION] Server Layout, yeah this discussion again...

Discussion in 'Team Fortress 2' started by Myke, 11 Jul 2008.

1. [DISCUSSION] Server Layout, yeah this discussion again...

Edit: Most up-to-date list here, but read Myke's text anyway, he made some good points.

GAMINGMASTERS.CO.UK #1 * HIGHLANDER (CL1) * HLSTATSX 81.19.221.10:27015 18 Players
    GAMINGMASTERS.CO.UK #2 * 24/7 GOLDRUSH/DUSTBOWL * HLSTATSX 81.19.221.10:27016 24 Players
    GAMINGMASTERS.CO.UK #3 * 24/7 GOLDRUSH * HLSTATSX 81.19.221.10:27017 32 Players
    GAMINGMASTERS.CO.UK #4 * 24/7 DUSTBOWL * HLSTATSX 81.19.221.10:27018 32 Players
    GAMINGMASTERS.CO.UK #5 * MIXED OFFICIAL MAPS * HLSTATSX 81.19.221.10:27019 32 Players
    GAMINGMASTERS.CO.UK #6 * MIXED OFFICIAL MAPS #2 * HLSTATSX 81.19.221.10:27025 24 Players

GAMINGMASTERS.CO.UK * MATCH SERVER 81.19.221.10:27050 (SourceTV 81.19.221.10:27052)

After yesterdays match, the F team has determined that we need a server to practice ETF2L maps, so i have a small suggestion about a new server layout:

- Make server #6 the 24/7 dustbowl server (just the same as #5 is atm)

- Make server #5 the ETF2L maps server with votemap on for these maps: well, pro_granary, badlands, 2fort, turbine and gravelpit, with 24/24 maximum. I'd prefer 16/16 but that might be unpopular.

- announce on server 5 that dustbowl 24/7 was moved to #6

- when there is noone on #5 than default it to dustbowl (but don't include it in the votemap)

Alternative:
    - make #5 rotate the maps every 45-60 mins.

why change #5 and #6? #5 is in many peoples favourites. #6 will be added to more peoples favourites. We can switch #5 and #6 after both are well known in the community.

edit: stickified and moved so the community can discuss it too.
    /waebi

2. Re: Server Layout, yeah this discussion again...

votemap is hard because there's only one tf2 installation. But it's possible to copy a second installation, and use it for #5 and the match server then.

3. Bun

Re: Server Layout, yeah this discussion again...

I would like an votemap server, annoying to change server to play another map. :P

4. Re: Server Layout, yeah this discussion again...

ok, after i've cleaned up my writing table i will think of one :D

5. Re: Server Layout, yeah this discussion again...

LOOONG cleanup :D
    and some pugs, ye...

ok, currently we have

• #1 24 Slot Turbine, can be full if we spam about it, but rarely.
      #2 32 Slot Goldrush, often full
      #3 32 Slot Goldrush, full most of time
      #4 32 Slot Dustbowl, "always" full
      #5 32 Slot Dustbowl, "always" full
      #6 24 Slot Fastlane, "never" full.

and 2 other ones on the new dedi

(81.19.221.7:27015 (gravel) and 81.19.221.7:27016 (2fort), which were almost never full till now)

I'd say we could make it like

• #1 24 Slot CTF_ Maps (2fort, Turbine, Mach4...)
      #2 32 Slot Goldrush
      #3 32 Slot Goldrush/Dustbowl mixed, make it change after like 30/60 minutes
      #4 32 Slot Dustbowl
      #5 24 Slot Official CP Maps (Well, Pro Granary, Badlands, Dustbowl, Fastlane)
      #6 24 Slot Goldrush/Dustbowl mixed, make it change after like 30/60 minutes

and the other 2 ones

81.19.221.7:27015 Custom Maps rotation
      81.19.221.7:27016 Official Maps rotation
    thoughts?

6. Bun

Re: Server Layout, yeah this discussion again...

That would be great. Can't see anything wrong with that. Both Goldrush and Dustbowl is popluar so it won't be a problem to get 2, 3, 4 and 6 full. :)

7. Re: Server Layout, yeah this discussion again...

• @1: mach4 is awesome!!! much better than shitty turbine!
      @3+6: 30mins are to short i think. I'm not sure if people who like dustbowl, like goldrush, and the other way round. I like dustbowl but hate goldrush.
      @5: +gravelpit, -dustbowl

there exists a pl version of dustbowl. why not #3 use these two pl maps and make #6 dustb only.
      shit... i shouldn't write english whn i'm drunk

8. Re: [DISCUSSION] Server Layout, yeah this discussion again...

ok i made the following mapcycles:

#1 24 Slot CTF_ Maps (2fort, Turbine, Mach4)
    #2 32 Slot Goldrush only
    #3 32 Slot PL maps mixed (Goldrush, pl_dbheights (modded dustbowl, nice), pl_cave_b4)
    #4 32 Slot Dustbowl only
    #5 24 Slot Official CP Maps (Well, Pro Granary, Badlands, Gravel Pit, Fastlane)
    #6 24 Slot Official/Custom Maps mixed (Broma, (DB, GR,) Redstone, Hydro, Castle4)

other 2 are not set yet.

ONLY 1 and 6 ARE CURRENTLY IN USE, we havent set the others yet. It could be a total fail though.

9. Re: [DISCUSSION] Server Layout, yeah this discussion again...

sounds, great, hope we can fill them!
    when i iterate through other clans servers, i normaly write down maps which i think are awesome.
    I just don't have this list while i write this post. I just remember:
    warpath_final is nice symmetric cp map.
    And i found 2-3 awesome ctf maps, (one of them is mach4, so just 1-2 more)
    #5 layout FTW: that will be my favorite server (hopefully it's 24/24 or less)

10. Re: [DISCUSSION] Server Layout, yeah this discussion again...

Ok, we've encountered the problem that a big part of the pub players doesnt really like or misinterpret Granary and Well ;)

Here's my (*hopefully final*) layout. I changed a big deal :S

#1 24 Slot CTF Maps (2fort, Turbine, Mach4, Impact, Chaos)
    #2 24 Slot Goldrush/Dustbowl 40 min change
    #3 32 Slot Goldrush only
    #4 32 Slot Dustbowl only
    #5 24 Slot Official Maps (Badlands, Gravel Pit, Fastlane, Hydro, Dustbowl)
    #6 24 Slot Custom and official maps cycle (Gravel, Broma, DBheights, Badlands, Castle4, Fastlane, Steel, Dustbowl)

this means one thing especially: We have to get the #5 and #6 KNOWN. #5 is still in many favorites :S I'll make an announce later on, but most important is that we get it played. The maps in there are all very good, also the custom ones.
    My favorite? #6 :D

11. Re: [DISCUSSION] Server Layout, yeah this discussion again...

Replace server 2.

with

24 slot Dustbowl/Goldrush

Would be good.

12. Re: [DISCUSSION] Server Layout, yeah this discussion again...

thought of that too...
    lets try it and see how it works out. timelimit on 40 should make sure that all can play red and blu.

13. Re: [DISCUSSION] Server Layout, yeah this discussion again...

is this really a problem with votemap? if they don't like it then, they shouldn't vote for it.

if we make #1, #5, #6 24/24 is it possbible to add a #7 with 16/16 that hosts all ETF2L maps (except Dustbowl)?
    We can than try to contact leaders of clans with no public servers so that they get known to this server. And call it the:
    GAMINGMASTERS.CO.UK ETF2L Maps ... (and Tigris.co.uk in name if necessary)

F really needs to practive well, granary and badlands! These are the most important maps for league matches. The GM servers shouldn't be there to meet the desires of public players only. It is also there to satsify GM members desires.

14. Re: [DISCUSSION] Server Layout, yeah this discussion again...

Agree with you, Myke, not for just one reason, but i will tell you one (told Disco already) - i have heard about the pwnage of F by cavaliers - sometimes i play with them on pub and i'm able to be better than two of their players together (all of us as a pyro, me on the opposing team), so you guys have to be better (i know you cause i play with you a lot), but you have to practise all the other maps and not just DB (and some of you GR)

15. Re: [DISCUSSION] Server Layout, yeah this discussion again...

Just noticed this post. Yes I am sorry, I put my hand up, yes I do play too much DB, but there are 6 different scenarios (Defend x3 maps) (Attack x3 maps) which makes it in my opinion the best map.

Can we not promote one of the servers on Sunday, and give it a different name to the rest such as the "Sunday Night ROAST!" or "GM Clan Tryouts!"?

Even a better idea, give it the name of the person with the most points from the previous Sunday such as "Last weeks champion - GM'F Myke HOuse of pain", or "Last weeks Champion - Gm'f Pissmidgets house of ......nar sorry piss that is never is going to happen :).

I think there would be some kudos having a server named after you :)

Plus I think there are alot of players wanting to join GM, and I think if you were to suggest that the stats on that server would be used to recruit to GM then we could get players using these servers which have maps improtant to TF2 Leagues.

If I am on Sunday night I will make time to spend some time on this server and promote it, and I hope other GM members will be there too :)

Disco "might as well be resting his mic next week" Indigo ;)

16. Geit Coding wizard!

Re: [DISCUSSION] Server Layout, yeah this discussion again...

*Points disco to the community matches thread.*

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)