Does anyone read books anymore, if so what are you reading?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Disco_Indigo, 27 Mar 2009.

1. Vacoy some sort of fucking fish

Re: Does anyone read books anymore, if so what are you reading?

THE GOSPEL OF THE FLYING SPAGHETTI MONSTER!

its so hilarious, best book ever <3
    english tho, but doesn't matter.

2. Protantus Original Member

Piss, you are in my zone - I think Keegan is one of the best writers I have in my collection and History of Warfare is up there with my On War.

Others, well depends on what you like

R A Heinlein for those Sci-Fi fans; any will do, but The Moon is a Harsh Mistress is a fav
    A Thousand and one Nights - Burton translation preferably, Malthus if not
    David Webber, Honor Harrington series; again Sci-Fi but very underrated in the UK
    Coleen McCullough, First Man in Rome series for any history buffs - I know she wrote the Thorn Birds, but this is seriously well researched stuff
    L'Assomoir, french social history, but saved my life and the best book I have ever read
    The Code Book by Simon Singh, but anything by him really. Good popular science stuff
    Beowulf - Seamus Heaney translation and no other (oldest English epic - and the film was crap(apart from her))
    Gemmel is good for Fantasy
    John Gribben is good for soft physics

3. Re: Does anyone read books anymore, if so, what are you reading?

Thanks for the reccomendation, i'll check him out :)

Well it's for my research so I guess I get to class it as both for work and pleasure! 'The Face of Battle' is one of the most important books by a non-classicist for the purposes of my research so i'm branching out into his other works. I also have 'Strategy: The Indirect Approach' by Liddel-Hart which is one of the next in line, i'm really looking forwards to reading it. On War is a classic and i'm trying to read it alongside Thucydides as a text - if you fancy a challenge get the Penguin edition of Thucydides and get stuck in!

Win.

4. Re: Does anyone read books anymore, if so what are you reading?

It remains strange to the last word on the last page, but I cant believe you would read all 6 books and not read the last one :o

Choo Choo :)

5. Re: Does anyone read books anymore, if so what are you reading?

I read Th´s posts.. its allmost the same

6. Protantus Original Member

No problem on Thucydides - the peloponnesian war is a great read (Sparta is such a unique culture that it facinates me). I have also muched my way through Heroditus and later Livy - the Roman kings are are a really interesting period and Livy has such a natural flow, none of the rhetoric you get with later writers. Sad thing is that I do not have research as an excuse :-). Not read Liddle-Hart, too modern for my tastes....Next one is Robin Lane Fox's Alexander; he has great interpretation.

Moorcock is a good read, but if you want a classic then I would go for the Book of the New Sun - I almost took Severian instead of Protantus.

7. Ray

Just finished reading The Great Gatsby - F Scott Fitzgerald, started Tender is the Night.

8. Re: Does anyone read books anymore, if so, what are you reading?

For you who will accept the challenge, you can try to read Ulysses here: http://books.google.se/books?id=Dq2...a=X&oi=book_result&resnum=4&ct=result#PPP1,M1
    ;)

9. Ash

Just finished the latest Terry Pratchet's book "union" it's ok but I prefer his discworld books.. (i've got and read them all lol)

Just finished Codex by Lev Grossman as well thats pretty good..

10. Re: Does anyone read books anymore, if so what are you reading?

:lol: :lol: :lol: i'll pass that on to some of my colleagues, i'm sure it will amuse them - Thucydides is quite possibly the most complicated source i've ever read, there is so much going on that needs to be read into it, don't even get me started on the speeches...

Anyway, am now reading Donald Kagan, The Outbreak of the Peloponnesian War and am onto book 3 of the Belgariad.

11. Fromage "The Cheese"

Game: Undercover In The Secret Society Of Pick-up Artists
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Game-Undercover ... 394&sr=1-6

Really entertaining book, actually reading it now, and I orderered another 5 books though so lots of reading going on here. I just love books!

Erik

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)