"Downsampling" gfx example: CoD6:MW2

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Obaruler, 25 Nov 2009.

1. Obaruler German Rager/Spamer

"Downsampling" gfx example: CoD6:MW2

I don't know who of you guys know what "downsampling" is ...... well, i just wanted to show what it can do for you, and what a huge imcrease of graphics quality it means.

I do not like Modern Warfare 2 in any kind, but some of my Nerd bodies in my standart Hardware/Nerd Forum practiced Downsampling on that game, and since i wanna make the work of one of my friends a bit more popular, and since it is still very popular (dont know why) and known to be "pixelated" i wanted to show you the results of it:

Screen(shot) resolution is 1280x800 Pixel, driver was internal set to more than double the screen resolution, other driver settings were 4x MSAA + TSAA and 16:1 AF, LOD Bias set to -1

The idea of Downsampling is, to render the game in a higher resolution than you monitor can handle, the "more" of data will be downsampled AFTER the rendering is done, so that you LCD can handle the resolution, thanks to the fact that there are so many pixels to calculate with,you get a very "smooth" frame, because all Alliasing effects can be filtered out, due to the massive ammount of known pixel data, they just "vanish" because by calculating every pixel with the neighboured pixel (to bring the resolution down to the one the LCD needs) you get a very high detailled picture, without any "mistakes" in it.

NOTICE: Thx to the named settings, every visible Aliasing-Effect and almost every single pulpy/diffuse texture could be eliminated.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

(sry for oversize xD)

Last edited by a moderator: 28 Dec 2016
  2. Robbiebob Non Verba, Sed Acta

ooooh that looks sweet

3. Looks really nice but almost too real. In a bad way.

4. Obaruler German Rager/Spamer

How can a burning Wachington D.C. be a bad thing to look at ?! The mayority of the worlds population would celebrate it to see such a thing happen! xD

5. I don't mean as in too graphic or vivid, I mean it just isn't fun to play a game that looks like a film. Something about the complete and utter lack of jagged edges just isn't right for a game :/

6. Spykodemon Disabled account

How do you work out the correct res to set to so you can downsample without it being all stretched out like fuck?

7. Obaruler German Rager/Spamer

Old skool gamer, hu ? xD

I'm a gfx fetishist, so i like it. =)

Erm ...... just dont change the ratio ?! If its 16:10 just choose a resolution that is 16:10 as well. We have some epic screens in our forum, made with Crysis and three times the Display Resolution PLUS some SGSSAA-Madness ..... awesum ! :D (Well, unplayable FPS ...... but epic screens) Newest "object of interest" is having fun with the german RPG "Risen" ...... Texture mod, cfg tweak, downsampling, and insane SGSSAA and AF settings make that game kinda look beautifull <3

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: 28 Dec 2016
  8. Now that's nice.

9. Obaruler German Rager/Spamer

Somehow it stilll works with not-the-same ratio btw. Dont ask me why. xD

You have to test it a bit out, which ratio is fitting (your driver WILL become your biggest enemy while trying to find a working combination of internal and / real outpute ratio ^^) .... requieres some work, but if you are done you got outreagous graohics quality, because this eliminates almost all ugly "mistakes", incliusive "flimmering" texture, due to Alisaing effects.

The magazine of the Hardware Forum is was talking abut just brought a nice article about this (good thing: bigger discussions [like Downsampling, "Unlockin" Phenom II X3s to X4s, MSAA/TSAA combination modi] of the community influence the printed content of the magazine ^^), they tested a bit arround and made a little list, which combinations work .... i may scan and upload it fo you. =)

10. Reag My name is an anagram for a reason

People like you, are what is killing the games industry, it's not about graphics, it's about gameplay and storyline.

11. This tbh

12. Geit Coding wizard!

Agreed.

13. Obaruler German Rager/Spamer

I agree to that.

I prefer good gameplay and story as well, but i just enjoy it to set games to maximum graphics quality, and do EVERYTHING to make the game look better. If you run games with complicated AA Modi, it really increases the atmosphere, flimmering textures, caused by aliasing and fail-anisotropic filtering (Radeon HD4XXX) algorithms are killing the mood imo, because allthough all ingame settings are set to maximum, the games look can still be "restless" because of rendering mistakes like flimmering textures.

I really prefer "good" games, thats why i wont buy that "shoting stand simulator" CoD anymore, but if i play a game i just want the bestlooking graphics that my system is capable to render - and why not !?

If i wouldnt care about this, i could stick to my PS3 and connect a keyboard and a mouse to it, running a control-hack ......

14. Killing Floor looks incredible, yet it's UT2004. Same goes for a lot of games made with that and similar engines.

Main reason being, they don't have areas that look like this:

[​IMG]

I don't give a shit about graphics (textures, models, AA, animation to an extent). What games need to get right is lighting and shadows. I uninstalled Red Faction Guerilla and Borderlands after barely 15 minutes for that exact reason.

Why do I need ambient occlusion or some other bullshit to do what engines from 5 years ago can do at 10x the framerate?

Also I feel the need to run games on high if the option is there and then get pissed off trying to find a happy medium when I get low framerates.

Last edited: 28 Dec 2016
  15. Vacoy some sort of fucking fish

I do give a shit about graphics, however gameplay is still the most important factor for me.

16. Obaruler German Rager/Spamer

If you like flimmering textures and aliasing effects ..... well, its your decision. I prefer a perfect burnished frame instead, as long as my PC can handle the additional works that is required.

As i said: Of course, Story & Gameplay ftw, but why not with the best available graphics quality ?!

Im not talking about some crappy stuff you can change in the normal settings, im talking about additional driver-based AA-Modi that can completly eredicate any ugly artifacts and aliasing effects in ANY game, since Aliasing is a huge problem in almost game, and about how to get rid of these effects by using the driver.

17. I don't like graphics that are not visually pleasing. Graphics from 10 years ago that could barely be classed as 3D these days can be visually pleasing. Like you said, flickering textures, along with badly lit areas and pretty much any visual flaws that are actually noticeable really ruin a game for me.

Gameplay makes a game, but graphics can break it.

18. King Awesome Useless Member

I played Fallout 1 and 2 a while ago and I enjoyed it!

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)

Users found this page by searching for:

1. downsampling

2. mw2

3. SGSSAA

4. killing floor low graphic settings,
  5. mw2 lodbias,
  6. mw2 downsampling,
  7. killing floor downsampling,
  8. risen,
  9. downsampling games,
  10. mw2 lod bias