GM Clan Ranking System Proposal

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by IAmNomad, 10 May 2008.

1. IAmNomad Ex-Leader

GM Clan Ranking System Proposal

Good day, all. I may have a solution to the following issues:

I thought that a good way to resolve some of these problems would be to devise a ranking system unique to GM that would reflect its "Core" (heh, heh :) ) values: Skill, Service, and Community spirit.
    So, I decided to create one.
    It is a ranking on a scale of 0-100 and is based on the three factors listed above, with emphasis on skill (skill is 50% of the overall rank, while the service and community factors are worth 25% each).
    I created complex formulae for each factor, and it is too difficult to display them in this forum. I wrote the formulae with explanations in a Microsoft Word document and plan to email it to those of you who have an email address listed in your profile (if you didn't get it today, PM me). I am also sending a Microsoft Excel file that shows the database I created using the formulae, and that shows the current rankings of all members.
    Please let me know what you think; if you have any constructive criticism, or ideas for improving it, I would love to hear that as well. I have spent a lot of time on it, and would like to have it good enough to actually use.
    If you have any specific questions or comments about it, please direct them to me by email or PM. General comments and general discussion should go here for all to share and participate in.
    Thank you for your time, and if you see me in the battlements from the opposing side, I am not the Nomad you are looking for...

I Am Nomad

2. Re: GM Clan Ranking System Proposal

Screenshot maybe?

3. Re: GM Clan Ranking System Proposal

Once again, I am amazed at the time you put into this :o

It must have taken fucking ages to gather all the data for this :o :o

After some discussion with Core, we have agreed that this would be a huge asset if we add squads. With the new quad core dedi coming that will easily run 6x 32slot servers, we will have to accept that the clan will need to get quite a bit bigger. With your formulae, squad placements can be unbiased and completely fair, which is awesome imho :D

However, to be used practically, this will need ported to PHP + MySQL and will need to load the data dynamically. If you could give me some sort of list of where the data in each manually updated column comes from, that would be a great help. Also, the more that can be pulled directly from the forum or hlstats databases, the better :P

Also, I will be adding your idea of days in clan to my match decision system. :)

4. Re: GM Clan Ranking System Proposal

Awesome contribution IamNomad :o

This seems like a vvv good idea :-)

I'll see what everyone else says

5. Re: GM Clan Ranking System Proposal

sick, dude. I understood about half of what in the email was, my maths skills are... crappy.
    do whatever you want ;-)

6. Re: GM Clan Ranking System Proposal

lol thats sweet i guess :P

7. Protantus Original Member

Re: GM Clan Ranking System Proposal

Generally OK with this, at least as concept. I do think however that the Community Spirit may have been over-emphasised, or at least the method of calculating it is incorrect - each of us makes contributions in thier own way and looking at posts is probably not the best. It emphasises quantity over quality.

8. Re: GM Clan Ranking System Proposal

Off topic: Protantus please come on steam ASAP. We have awesome news for you... :D

EDIT: didn't notice core had posted this announcement :P

Last edited: 27 Nov 2013
  9. Re: GM Clan Ranking System Proposal

Very nice job.. but looks a bit hard to update

10. Re: GM Clan Ranking System Proposal

Awesome work, must have taken you ages!

11. IAmNomad Ex-Leader

Thanks, Protantus; that's a great comment :) , and I was hoping for some input on this.

How do you think the emphasis should be distributed? They way I have it arranged now, its:
    • sKill - 50
      Service - 25
      Community involvement - 25
    Should it be 50/35/15, or 60/20/20, or something else? Thoughts?

As far as looking at posts and visits to the forum go, what other measure of Community spirit can anyone come up with? What types of clan involvement/community interaction would you like to see included in the calculation?

Thanks --

I Am Nomad

12. Re: GM Clan Ranking System Proposal

Definitely sounds like an interesting idea. Would you mind emailing it to me? (dom.preston@gmail.com).

Sounds like a good way to decide squads/teams, as at least this way people can't complain that there's any bias in the system.

13. IAmNomad Ex-Leader

Thanks for the positive comments; I hope the system becomes useful not just for deciding squads/teams, but for instilling a sense of pride and ownership in the clan. The system is really meant to reward members not just for playing ability, but also for their contributions to, and involvement in, the clan community.

I Am Nomad. No, Really.

14. Re: GM Clan Ranking System Proposal

Sounds good, no need for me to receive the mail as math isnt exactly my strong point. :)

15. Re: GM Clan Ranking System Proposal

I got the email, Normad, you must had done a hell of alot of work collecting the data!

Anyway I'm understand how it works a bit.

Good job, Nomad! :D

16. Re: GM Clan Ranking System Proposal

I was attempting to use the formula to replicate the overall GM scores, and I think I may have found a mistake. I could be wrong, but I think you may have doubled the KF score twice. Or rather, you calculated the KF score, then doubled it, then wrote that one down in the Excel file as each person's KF score. Then you doubled it again when putting it into the overall formula. So it ends up being 4x KF + SF + CF, giving KF a much larger weighting.

This could just be me making a mistake in my working though, or maybe it's a mistake limited only to my score - I didn't check any of the others. Anyone care to verify this?

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)

Users found this page by searching for:

1. clan ranking concepts

2. what are some good gaming clan ranking systems

3. awesome clan ranking system

4. gaming clan ranking system,
  5. emailing system Clan,
  6. gm clan system,
  7. Ranking System proposal,
  8. clan rank system for games