Hearthstone Tourney [brainstorming]

Discussion in 'Events' started by Jolly Long Arm, 2 Dec 2014.

1. Jolly Long Arm The Moon... It's far away!

[​IMG]
    I think this will be a good idea depending on the amount of people.
    Need help thinking of rules and how the brackets/groups should be organised :)

Last edited by a moderator: 28 Dec 2016
  2. I obviously should be put into bracket 1A+ since I am the best warlock zoo player in history. I didn't nick it from the internet I swear an me mum

Probably >beginners 25-20
    >experienced 19-12
    >??? 12-1

A lot of people play it so we may have enough.

3. Hooch Luckiest man alive.

Could do tourny rules.
    every player makes 3 or 4 decks, the opponent each choses a deck they want to ban their opponent from playing
    For example. i make a Druid, Shaman, Warlock and Priest deck and Dogling bans my Priest deck.
    Meaning throughout my fight with Dogling i can't choose my priest deck.
    And then you fight against each other until the opponent has won against every other deck from their opponent.
    And i say 3 or 4 decks depending on if you want to do best of 3's or best of 5's.

Also not sure when you want to do this but in the new GvG update which will be somewhere this month, there will be an option to spectate games, so i'd suggest atleast waiting until then.

If we're waiting for GvG we could ban out GvG cards because of how new they are.
    Especially because some people are saving up money ingame or real money to buy some packs as soon as their out.
    While others are still gathering normal cards.

Last edited: 2 Dec 2014
  4. Sounds cool, and yeah basicly Hooch's post

5. Mole45 Dance Little Liar

Would very much be up for this

6. Suggest rules:

Everyone plays everyone, 0 points for a loss, 1 point for a draw, 2 points for a win.
    Build 4 decks, your opponent gets to ban one.
    You play with your first deck until you lose with it, then your second etc. etc.

Places in tournament determined by amount of points. (see below) edit: Obviously I can't format.

Place Name Points W L D
    1st Godling 2000 1000 0 0
    100th Hooch 0 0 1000 0

Note: I don't think we have enough people to split it into brackets. The above way would make sure everyone faced everyone regardless of skill level. You may also come out higher than you thought because of good draws vs shit draws.

7. Mystia the Schnitzel Delivery Guy

I'd be up for this

8. Harv Admiral Anchovy

Beginners 25-20 is bollocks cause you only have to play to get to 20 since losing matches won't takes stars away. I'd also consider dropping the group thing depending on how many people actually signs up.

It also doesn't really matter whether we do groups or one big group since it's kinda obvious the better ranked players will win anyway. Could be a losers bracket though or something.

Playing BO3 round robin would take ages even with like the 7 people interested :)

I'd suggest BO3 elimination.

9. Mole45 Dance Little Liar

Last edited: 3 Dec 2014
  10. Harv Admiral Anchovy

It's a good sheet and plan, but seeing how even one-day GM events go, I'm not sure a 7 day (probably meaning 4/7 weekends) will ever be finished.

11. Mole45 Dance Little Liar

Updated it with a knockout version but we'd need some form of seeding for the first round or we do it totally randomly to make things as fair as possible.

12. Hooch Luckiest man alive.

I like the knockout version more, goes faster and then if for some reason we'd want to do another we could do so the next day.
    It will be somewhat unfair if a new player gets beaten by a more experienced player but surely that'd be one of the risks you'd need to think of when entering right?
    Also i'd vote for random seeding because as Mole said, it would make it as fair as possible.

-edit: i am the blue anonymous capybara you speak of in your spreadsheet.

13. Harv Admiral Anchovy

could also be double elimination so people losing their first match won't be eliminated straight away.

something like this, but seeded somehow

http://challonge.com/gm_hs_p1/

14. Harv Admiral Anchovy

GVG is out on 9 Dec.

15. Jolly Long Arm The Moon... It's far away!

mmm either

double elimination(losers bracket) quicker example
    or
    points roundrobin(everyone v everyone) longer, but fairer example

16. Harv Admiral Anchovy

I'd be up for both, maybe first the quick one, then the longer.

17. Mole45 Dance Little Liar

In addition, if you log on during the launch event (no idea how long that will run for), you will get a free arena run and 3 free GvG packs.

And if you haven't seen it yet, here's all the new cards : http://imgur.com/a/GCNo4

And I think we should do the double elimination one first, that can be done fairly quickly and if people are up for it we can do the longer form one later on.
    When it comes to deciding when, I assume we'll want to either go before GvG or a few days post GvG because the servers are going to collectively shit themselves during the release day. I'm pretty busy over the next few weeknights with it being the last two weeks of term, but I'm free on the weekends.

18. I only have 2 decks though that are actually usable though. I am getting packs on the 10th though so might have more

19. This saturday from about 10am GMT?

20. Hooch Luckiest man alive.

could do it next week, somewhere after the GvG launch.
    the spectate feature would make it more fun seeing as not everyone here streams and we could simply ban the use of GvG cards.
    and it would give people the time to set themselves up and for the newer people some extra time to learn

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)