How to make a PropHunt Map.

Discussion in 'PropHunt' started by Geit, 24 Aug 2009.

1. Geit Coding wizard!

I Find it easier than using the buggy model browser (That crashes my hammer :<), but to each their own. :)

Yep, pretty much correct, the "origin" on most props is in the center, and when you're assigned a prop, it's spawned and then it's moved to the center of your player model (your origin). But some props, like the shovel, have their origin in a different place (E.G the top of the model) and so appear to be in an incorrect position.

Theoretically you could fix it via the plugin by setting a specific offset to use for that model when it's being moved/parented.

2. I still don't know what your talking about, what is the 3D Viewer how do I use it? (Are you just talking about the 3D view in hammer?) Right now I'm just copy/pasting the props in from abs_proplibrary map

Awesome:awesome:

3. I found out what you meant when we talked about vmex, Geit ;/

I've edited Lumberyard again, added some stuff, some props around the map, moved some stuff around, put in some little hiding places, etc but I need your help on some stuff because I still dunno how to make land and slopes/cliff edges. Every time I try I end up with a giant block or I lose where I've put it on the wire frame aha. If I upload the vmf, Could you finish the stuff I couldn't~?

I still can't believe you managed to stay alive as the train ;/

4. Reag My name is an anagram for a reason

Train is awesome, you need to add the flatbed carts though so we can have a whole train with carriages thing going on.

5. Geit hid right outside the blue spawn on the tracks as the train and nobody payed him a blind bit of noticed. I fucking lol'd when he won the game.

Anyway, added the giant train carriage. Don't get pissed at me if 5 spawn all at once lol~

Code:
     "prophuntmapconfig"
    {
        "Props"
        {   
            "models/props_forest/shrub_03b.mdl" {}   
            "models/props_forest/shrub_03c.mdl" {}   
            "models/props_2fort/oildrum.mdl" {}   
            "models/props_2fort/miningcrate001.mdl" {}   
            "models/props_2fort/miningcrate002.mdl" {}   
            "models/props_2fort/tire002.mdl" {}   
            "models/props_2fort/metalbucket001.mdl" {}   
            "models/props_2fort/tire001.mdl" {}         
            "models/props_2fort/corrugated_metal001.mdl" {}   
            "models/props_2fort/corrugated_metal003.mdl" {}   
            "models/props_gameplay/cap_point_base.mdl" {}       
            "models/props_farm/wood_pile.mdl" {}      
            "models/props_farm/pallet001.mdl" {}  
            "models/props_badlands/barrel02.mdl" {}   
            "models/props_well/hand_truck01.mdl" {}   
            "models/props_forest/rock006b.mdl" {}   
            "models/props_forest/rock006.mdl" {}   
            "models/props_forest/train_engine_01.mdl" {}   
            "models/props_forest/wood_pile.mdl" {}    
            "models/props_mining/fence001_reference.mdl" {}
            "models/props_vehicles/train_flatcar_leveltop.mdl" {}

}
        "Settings"
        {
            "doors" "1"
            "relay" "0"
            "round" "175"
            "freeze" "0"
            "alt" ""

}
    }

Anyway, since I forgot to upload it last post. Would you be able to finish off some textures Geit? Too many people asked me for it so I opened up the train tracks to make the map a little bigger. I'll have to play around with the time limit to see what's too much and too less so it's at 175 for now. Red doors are deleted but I left the blue in. You said I needed to do something with them last night but I forgot what you said so I've left them alone. You can now run over the tracks, under the tracks on the beams and there's a small health pack somewhere there too. I've added a few more little hiding spots such as behind some trees and elsewhere. All that needs fixing is behind the red spawn and you'll see what else if you look out from the tracks. Since you know how to use Hammer it'll probably take you 5 minutes =P I haven't been able to learn how to do a few things I wanted to today because I've had a couple of touch screens to add to some laptops. I've tried it out with sv_cheats and adding a bot and everything is solid.
    I don't think I've missed anything out... you can grab me on steam if you need me~

Ph_lumberyard_a1:
    http://www.megaupload.com/?d=6HWMVMBV

6. Reag My name is an anagram for a reason

Yay flatbed, now we can have a full blown train set.

7. Somebody should fix the second half of Lumberyard since I've no idea how and Geit doesn't want to x[

8. What are you having problems with? I'm not very good, but I can at least try (and it's probably a whole lot easier than making a new map from scratch)

Is this the current version of the map?
    http://www.megaupload.com/?d=6HWMVMBV

9. That is the current version.
    You need to ask Geit what's wrong with it because when I play tested it, it was fine ;X It's missing some layers/textures or something and apparently it lacks optimization lul.

10. What is this:
    About the second half?

Also this:

11. There's a small hill behind the red spawn which is invisible/not finished off. It needs finishing off and/or texturing that's all. I dunno how to create land/hills yet so I can't do it myself.

The second half would be beneath the tracks and the tracks themselves. They lack any optimization and below them has zero texturing.

12. Having a bit of a problem with a prophunt map I was testing out earlier - What does it mean when the server acts like the game is just arena, and not prophunt? Did something get messed up with the .cfg file?

13. Geit Coding wizard!

Yes, most likely check all your brackets are closed and there are no syntax errors

14. Can I run it by you to see if there are any errors? I'm not seeing any.
    Edit: Might it have to do with how it is encoded as a .cfg file? (Unicode/ANSI)

15. Post the contents here.

Encoding won't make any difference, and make sure the config file is named exactly "ph_headquarters.cfg", as the script only takes into account the first 2 parts split by underscores. (so not ph_headquarters_a1.cfg)

16. I named it ph_headquarters_beta1.cfg, so that may be what's causing trouble. I'll rename it to ph_headquarters.cfg

Code:
    "prophuntmapconfig"
    {
        "Props"
        {        
            "models/props_2fort/propane_tank_tall01.mdl" {}    
            "models/props_badlands/barrel01.mdl" {}
            "models/props_badlands/barrel02.mdl" {}
            "models/props_badlands/barrel01.mdl" {}
            "models/props_spytech/terminal_chair.mdl" {}
            "models/props_2fort/metalbucket001.mdl" {}
            "models/props_2fort/frog.mdl" {}
            "models/props_trainyard/beer_keg001.mdl" {}
            "models/props_2fort/oildrum.mdl" {}
            "models/props_2fort/miningcrate002.mdl" {}
            "models/props_2fort/miningcrate001.mdl" {}
            "models/props_spytech/tv001.mdl" {}
            "models/props_well/computer_cart01.mdl" {}
            "models/props_spytech/control_room_console01.mdl" {}
            "models/props_farm/welding_machine01.mdl" {}
            "models/props_hydro/water_machinery1.mdl" {}
            "models/props_2fort/wastebasket01.mdl" {}
            "models/props_2fort/mop_and_bucket.mdl" {}
            "models/props_spytech/computer_low.mdl" {}
            "models/props_gameplay/orange_cone001.mdl" {}
        }
        "Settings"
        {
            "doors" "1"
            "relay" "1"
            "round" "150"
            "freeze" "0"
            "alt" ""
        }
    }
    Also, quick question: is there a way to control which skins for the props are used?

17. Not atm, no. Anything containing "oildrum" gets a skin between 0 and 6 and anything containing "computer" between 0 and 1, otherwise it's currently all skin 0.

Also syntax wise that looks ok - it must have been the _beta1 that did it.

18. Thanks for the quick reply - I'll see if AO will test it again with this changed.
    That's rather unfortunate for my map, as everything has a blue theme. I think you saw it - link
    A red skinned model would really stick out - [​IMG]

Edit: It didn't work. :/
    I'm not really sure what's wrong with it. Followed the guidelines, and have everything, but it just doesn't work as it should.

Last edited by a moderator: 28 Dec 2016
  19. The MC Official GM PropHunt Manager

This is nothing to do with it not working, but you have forgotten to put the Control Point model in to your config.

20. models/props_2fort/mop_and_bucket.mdl

Not 100% sure, but I think that may cause a problem similar to the shovel on Lumberyard.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)

Users found this page by searching for:

1. prop hunt ERROR! No control points on map

2. prophunt crashes hammer