How to make a PropHunt Map.

Discussion in 'PropHunt' started by Geit, 24 Aug 2009.

1. Geit Coding wizard!

strcmp(classname, "team_control_point") == 0 ||
    strcmp(classname, "team_control_point_round") == 0 ||
    strcmp(classname, "trigger_capture_area") == 0 ||
    strcmp(classname, "func_respawnroom") == 0 ||
    strcmp(classname, "func_respawnroomvisualizer") == 0 ||
    strcmp(classname, "obj_sentrygun") == 0)

Are the only entities removed.

2. I'm attempting to load music on my map (Harvest_event) and it seems to work for me, but not for anyone else on the server. Do I have to upload the music file as well as the map so it'll play or what?

3. coffeejunky GM's Tea-boy

Yes you do, try using Pakrat or PackBSP and it will automatically include the required files.

4. Alright, thank you for clearing that up for me. =) I figured I'd needed to but no tutorial said I needed to and it confused me when it wouldn't load for anyone else on the AO server.

5. Gonna give it a try later on.:D

Thanks for the information.

6. WHOOO! replying to ancient topics.

Anyway, I was wondering, is the whole 'offset' thing for props broken? I just recently tried to bother with it but I can't seem to get it working, with or without quotes with extreme values with reasonable values.. nothing.
    So just asking here if it still works, if it is broken then fine I won't bother with it anymore. (if any solution to this is posted somewhere else please be so kind as to point me to it for I am lazy and merely searched through this post for a possible answer to this problem)

(Just to be clear, I'm of course talking about this: "You can offset a prop by putting the offset keyvalue in the brackets next to each prop, example: "models/combine_strider.mdl" {"offset" "0 0 520"} would offset the strider model so that the scout is near the striders feet.")

7. I'm pretty sure that no longer works and after Valve's changes, little can be done about it

8. Ah ohwell too bad. Thanks for the reply. At least now I don't have to wonder what I'm doing wrong anymore.

9. Powerlord Current Prop Hunt maintainer guy

OK, I should probably mention some things related to Prop Hunt Redux.
    1. "offset" is currently working.
    2. "rotation" is a new key that allows you to specify a prop's rotation. At the moment it's not well tested. I believe they are in roll (up/down) pitch (left/right) yaw (diagonal spin) order.
    3. Many props now have a default offset. This is stored along with the prop's name in props_common.txt (which replaces prop_names.txt). This data was centralized so we don't have to set these offsets in every config file that uses them. Rotation can also be stored in this file. They can be overridden in a map config file. What this means is that using "models/props_2fort/wastebasket01.mdl" will always offset it up 31 hammer units unless you specify an offset in your map config.
    4. Prop Hunt Redux creates a team_round_timer with the name "prop_hunt_timer". I'm not sure if you can call outputs from this in Hammer, as the entity doesn't exist during map compilation.
    As for skins, it's still not supported... yet. Player skins are usually determined on the client side based on the player's team and other information. I know this applies to custom player models because of how Vs. Saxton Hale (bosses tend to have both BLU and RED skins. BLU players get skin 1, RED players get skin 0). The SendProxy Manager extension may be able to get around this, but I haven't actually looked into it.

Multi-round maps are currently tricky. Technically they should work... but teams swapping every round introduces issues. Specifically, having an even number of rounds would put the same team in the same role on a specific round. I've been tempted to handle this by simply making even numbers have teams switch every other round... so you'd be hunters twice, then props twice.

On a side note, I spent 40+ hours during July figuring out all the prop offsets... which was fun as I often had to change them by 1 hammer unit and reload Prop Hunt to check it. A few props were sunk into the ground slightly to avoid the "floating" effect they had... mainly the haypile, control point, and chimneys.

Last edited: 9 Dec 2013
  10. as far as number 4 goes, there are entities that throw up errors for Hammer but still actually work. I haven't tested that one in particular, but I wouldn't be surprised if that one works fine like the others do (as long as the plugin is present)

11. Powerlord Current Prop Hunt maintainer guy

I discovered that multi-round arena maps have oddities when RED wins, such as not resetting any spawn doors. I may do some additional testing to see if there's any way to work around it. It might be better to fake it instead.

I may make some test VMF files with how to build a basic prophunt map (I was using some to test multi-round PH maps).

Having said that, does anyone here know func_areaportal does anything weird with PropHunt? I seem to recall in Valve's stock maps that there are issues with those on ctf_turbine since Valve last updated it.

Edit: Whoops, forgot to mention there's a new key for map configs in PropHunt Redux 3.3.0... "setup' which allows you to increase the setup time up from the server default to something higher.

Last edited: 11 Aug 2014

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)

Users found this page by searching for:

1. nu vot

2. prop hunt custom player models

3. how to make a prophunt server

4. how to make a prophunt server