How to play organized 6v6 games, called PickUpGames (pugs)

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by waebi, 22 Jun 2008.

1. Re: How to play organized 6v6 games, called PickUpGames (pugs)

it's all in the 1st post ;)

2. Re: How to play organized 6v6 games, called PickUpGames (pugs)

Just about to play my first PUG :mrgreen:

3. Re: How to play organized 6v6 games, called PickUpGames (pugs)

and i'm in there too :P

4. Bun

Re: How to play organized 6v6 games, called PickUpGames (pugs)

Just got the chat and all stuff sorted out, just have to add, which I will do later. :P

5. eoN

Also a tip to everyone, query one of the admins and tell them your main class(es) so you dont end up in a fight to play your favorite class.

6. Re: How to play organized 6v6 games, called PickUpGames (pugs)

doesnt help. They will query you after you've played some games. Just be on the server fast: first to come, first to serve.
    Doesnt help at all if you tell them, sometimes there are more (3) than class slots (2) players.

7. eoN

It does, the bot takes it into account

I had a big convo (rant) with F2 about it because some ass went demo AND HE SUCKED >.<

EDIT

Also waebi on your first post add things that people should learn before they join a PUG so they dont get flamed like low rocket/sticky jumps etc :)

8. Re: How to play organized 6v6 games, called PickUpGames (pugs)

Played about 20 pugs now and i love it, great way to learn and play with exelect teams.

So far not been raged at... So dont be shy give it a try.

9. LienK Wat

I've only ever played 1 PUG. That was a couple of months ago. I played as Demo and didn't really know what to do in a PUG so the other guys got really pissed at me and made me play Scout instead. That kinda put me off wanting to play any more PUGs :P
    Apparantly you are not allowed to play them if you are not skilled... Which is retarded because you play them to become better...
    That's what I think anyway. I guess the rest of you don't agree.

10. Th-

Well the 6v6 format in itself is quite stable, so after some matches you get to understand it pretty well and see things go pretty much the same way each time. As for the flaming, even on pickup channels there are people with short temper so if someone doesn't know what he is doing, people might give some criticizing feedback. I recommend starting by playing mixes with other GMs and asking feedback, and when the normal 6v6 dynamics are in control, then join a gather.

Other thing you can do is join soldier/scout, since they have less weight and their role is simpler to understand, and say

"Hey guys, I'm new here so go ahead and give me direct orders and if I do something wrong, let me know and I will fix it."

This was how I played in the finnish gather, and things went smoothly. It was like the first match all over again, that much difference there was to anything we had played before...

Last edited by a moderator: 27 Nov 2013
  11. Re: How to play organized 6v6 games, called PickUpGames (pugs)

Hey Guys,

Yes you won't beleive it but I actually played my first PUG about 10 mins ago and it was absolutely great fun. It took me about 15mins to get set up on the mirc quake net thingy...(yes you can guess why it took me soo long :) ), however once I was registered and was using the quake vent channel I was soon into a game. The only reason I was able to get sorted out was because I asked one of my online mates to help me out i.e. Bennett. He was very patient with me and corrected alot of my "mistakes" to logging on etc.

We both were on the same team, and I choose to be heavy (going against the advice given lol ), I didnt know the other four guys from Adam, but they seemed quite pleasent and the team seemed to work really really well. SO well in fact we won 6-1 which did supprise me. I must admit I was abit nervous playing with these guys and letting Bennett and GM down (wearing the tag with pride :) whoop whoop.

I think if the team was doing badly then you start to get the ragers on, but I guess we even do that when we play an internal sometimes!

Anyway, I think some of you guys would really enjoy PUGs, and I would really love to see you joining me for a 6v6.

If youy are interested then please have a word with Bennett, or hopefully Th and Piss could spare 5-10 mins with you to get started and join you in your first game? I would offer to help but i would probably get you banned or something by mistake...

Disco

PS read these simple instructions below to help you get started :)

1. Install Xchat/mIRC or any other IRC client.
    this is a nice guide and will help for Xchat, (http://www.smogon.com/irc/xchat_tutorial)
    this(http://www.mirc.com/help.html) and this(http://btjunkie.org/search?q=mirc) will help for mIRC (i use it too, it's a bit better )
    as a server you fill in "uk.quakenet.org"
    Please choose a "nice" name as the Q bot will know you with THIS name.

2. Get known to the Q bot.
    After you have connected, you type
    /msg Q HELLO EMAIL EMAIL
    EMAIL means your full email adress, like "x@y.com", 2 times there. if it's correct, you get mail. If not, the Q bot will tell you.

3. Read your email.
    There will be a line you have to copy out and paste into the chat, it looks like this:
    /msg Q@CServe.quakenet.org AUTH <your_name> <your_pass>
    the password is random and you have to type THE WHOLE LINE after connecting to the channel.
    Additional info (automatic authentication) can be found here (http://forums.multiplay.co.uk/showthread.php?t=60107)

4. connect to the pickup channel.
    type
    /join #mpuktf2.pickup
    in the message box.

5. Get Ventrilo installed and working.
    If you dont, you get banned from the games. Ventrilo is MUST-HAVE.
    Download (http://www.ventrilo.com/download.php)
    Setup Help (http://www.ventrilo.com/setup.php)
    Add the ventrilo server, BEFORE step 6.
    IP: 85.236.100.69
    port: 28960
    password: tf2pickupVent

6. Add yourself to a game.
    type
    !add
    to add yourself to a gather. After there are 12 players added, the "TF2PickupBot" will message you and give you info about the ventrilo channel and TF2 Server. IF YOU WANT TO PLAY MEDIC, you have to write "!medic" or "!med"
    If you CANT play (your mum asking for help, your PC doing shit, whateva...) type
    !del or !remove
    BEFORE there are 12 players. If you add yourself to a gather and dont show up you get a 24h ban, do it multiple times and it will be permanent.

7. GL & HF.
    You find the official rules thread here, READ THEM. (http://forums.multiplay.co.uk/showthread.php?t=60108)

12. LienK Wat

Just played my second and third PUG. It was fun and I actually didn't get my ass whipped that hard. I was playing as soldier in the first one, today, and got a little over 1 kpd 8-) We were just about to win the game but then the server crashed. :lol:

Joined a game with Vacoy and Garion next, and we all got on the same team :D. Played scout first half and soldier the last half. Don't remember exactly the kpd but I had more kills than deaths at least :P And we won, YAAY :D

This has given me a new view on PUGs and I will def play more. :mrgreen:

13. Re: How to play organized 6v6 games, called PickUpGames (pugs)

I have and am wiling to help people get setup, i am all for this if people want to learn. And disco dont feel to bad i was medic on the other team ;)

May also help people... [​IMG]

14. Robbiebob Non Verba, Sed Acta

Uhmm can't see the image drew? Maybe re-upload it?

15. Geit Coding wizard!

Fixed for you shrew, you can't direct link from rapidshare:P

16. Robbiebob Non Verba, Sed Acta

Ok thnx Geiti :D

@ that pic drew, I don't understand anything of it :? THOUGH i have played some pickups before... or is this picture from a "gather" (at right top)?

17. LienK Wat

Lol, that's just mIRC's Options tab :P
    He's showing his settings and perform commands. = Commands the program enters automatically when you join a server, so you dont have to do it yourself all the time.

Are you all IRC nubs? :P

18. Robbiebob Non Verba, Sed Acta

Me uses X-Chat 2 as IRC and Garion helped me setting it up a long time ago

So... basically I am an IRC noob Lienk :lol:

19. Re: How to play organized 6v6 games, called PickUpGames (pugs)

I have a somewhat related question ...

Does anyone know a website/IRC channel where I can easily get matches in general? (so not with a PuG, but with my own team)

20. Geit Coding wizard!

Yeah there is, i'm sure one of the more competitive members knows the name of it.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)

Users found this page by searching for:

1. how to play lol 6v6

2. how to play 6v6 LoL

3. how to set up 6v6 lol

4. how to play 6vs6 lol,
  5. howto 6vs6 lol,
  6. how to set 6v6 in LoL,
  7. lol 6vs6,
  8. How to make 6v6 LoL matches,
  9. who to play 6vs6 in lol,
  10. how do you play 6v6 in lol?