I have seen faster snails...

Discussion in 'Hardware and Software' started by Zana, 7 Aug 2010.

1. Zana The Candy Bun

I have seen faster snails...

man... i am here to tell you all, that yesterday i formatted my 1TB HD when it arrived, you know, to make it windows-bootable, and, as i write this lines, it still goes by 78%... in 18 hours... i knew that as the bigger the disks are, the longer it akes to format them, but this is ridiculous, i do not think my Windows disk will survive spinning that long...

Any tips to not to suffer this in the future?

2. Get rid of your Mac and buy a real computer.

3. Zana The Candy Bun

I am BUILDING a REAL COMPUTER, if i were using my new HD for my Mac, i wouldn't be able to write this

4. You did do a "quick format", right? D:

5. Zana The Candy Bun

Nope, i used the standard format option

6. Well, had you used the quick format option it would have taken a matter of minutes... And since it's a new HDD it wouldn't have made a difference whether you did a standard or a quick format... Oh well :3

7. Zana The Candy Bun

D'oh!

For those wondering, the disk may not be running at full speed tho, due to using an old spare cable i had... i might had used the one for the other hard disk :( Also, Slow P4 processor is Slow (which is not related, but, makes file transfer a hell, and if we count that it has an outdated motherboard it adds more trouble and so on...)

8. Cable shouldn't make any difference (or very little), checked the BIOS for any power saving settings that might be slowing it down?

Also, Savage is right, quick format is quick, regular format takes forever, especially on large drives. Had to do one on a 250GB a while back, took hours - royal pain in the backside.

9. Zana The Candy Bun

yes, my other 250 drive took hours too :( i might check the bios later

10. Something is wrong if it's taken 18 hours - a sequential write of 100MB/s (probably around that) could put out 6.5TB in that time.

11. Zana The Candy Bun

Dunno, well, it is formatted now, tho, i will check the BIOS settings to see if there is something wrong

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)

Users found this page by searching for:

1. i have seen faster