I made a mod for "The Modding Trials"

Discussion in 'Minecraft' started by Mysteryem, 10 Aug 2016.

1. Mysteryem The Dividing Line

I made a mod that lets you reverse your gravity, I have an imgur album that glosses over it: http://imgur.com/a/kJqgG

Currently, we are preparing the server with all the mods (so many crashes...) and building booths to present our mods. The server should be open to the public on Friday 12th, when voting on the mods begins.

You can find more details on the reddit post: https://www.reddit.com/r/feedthebeast/comments/4tnq0k/the_modding_trials_official_announcement_and/

And website https://moddingtrials.xyz

2. Jolly Long Arm The Moon... It's far away!

that is actually really cool! though does it have to be THOSE colours of wool

3. vand2 Just a generic loveable guy

This looks really good :o Nice work Mysteryem!

4. Mysteryem The Dividing Line

5. Queenie Don't tell me what to do!!!

Psh, not even purple.

6. Mysteryem The Dividing Line

7. Mysteryem The Dividing Line

8. Mysteryem The Dividing Line

9. Jolly Long Arm The Moon... It's far away!

10. Mysteryem The Dividing Line

Yeah, the guys running the event showed a complete lack of experience and foresight.

• All the modders that were making booths given Op (level 4, so all commands available)
    • Having to have our booths altered part way through so that our mod items could not be removed from out booths (so much for playing with the items outside of the booths)
    • My upside-down parkour course had all its blocks replaced with bedrock when our booths were altered as above, so I had to rebuild it
    • The server somehow running out of space for backups after 5 backups taken (this server was tiny!)
    • The low amount of backups and speed at which backups were taken (every 30 minutes, and probably every time the server restarted) meant that the oldest backup ended up corrupted very easily
    • There was fortunately an older backup, but 1 or 2 of the booths hadn't even been built at that point and it meant all the booths had to be sealed off again
    • The voting system was a mess, and was completely untested on browsers that weren't chrome
    • All the sealing off of booths turned out for naught as one of the mods added a command that teleported you back to spawn
    • We were told we would get blocks similar to the Creative Cache, that people at our booth could get items out of, the mod was not brought into a working state in time, so everyone had to use command blocks
    • Client side mod that softlocked players if they held an item that opened a gui when right clicked, if they looked at a block in the world (also softlocked people trying to build their booths if they tried placing signs) was not removed/fixed
    • Guns mod that completely ignored PvP settings was also kept on the server without being fixed
    • What could/could not be fixed in a mod after the submission date was very vague, some people argued that it was unfair to allow people time to fix their mods (if you think about it, time spent testing means less time developing)
      • As it turns out, quite a few of the mod developers hadn't tested their mod on a dedicated server at all, meaning their mod crashed the server instantly or whenever their mod was used
    • I had to disable the visual effect of other players being upside-down on your client while we were adding the mods to the server. Once it was realised that it was one of the mods that wasn't part of the competition causing issues, I wasn't notified of this. It took me asking for a list of the mods on the server so I could look through their source code to try and find the problem, for me to get my mod on the server again as it should have been. While it wasn't a core part of his mod, another developer also had to disable some player rendering changes he made in his mod, but I don't think he ever got to enable them again.
    tl;dr

It was a mess, the mods were good, the modders were good, the people running things, not so much.

11. Jolly Long Arm The Moon... It's far away!

i thought it was ran by the guys who make FTB, therefore SHOULD be good servers.
    I recognise some of the modders names for doing other BIG projects.
    I personally think they should do seperate votes for group made mods

12. Mysteryem The Dividing Line

Despite being sponsored by Creeperhost, the Minecraft server used for the event wasn't hosted by them.

And yes, I strongly agree that teams and solo entries should've been voted on separately, that was another stupid thing about how it was run.

As an aside FTB is basically owned by Curse now (a 'partnership', though it might be more accurate to say that Curse made FTB its bitch), Curse is going to be owned by Twitch now, Twitch is owned Amazon.

13. Mysteryem The Dividing Line

14. Mysteryem The Dividing Line

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)

Users found this page by searching for:

1. minecraft modding trials mods