Laggy

Discussion in 'Server/Website Chat' started by Bulletproof, 3 Jun 2009.

1. Bulletproof Last one alive, Lock the door.

Laggy

Every once inawhile the GM servers will lag and it will complelty freeze and do the auto-disconnect thing in the top right corner, but it connects back in like 4 seconds, after that a few people say lag so i know it can't just be me. It's done it to me on Ballon race and Dustbowl, im not sure if it does it on the other servers.

2. Re: Laggy

almost all the servers dose that, but it's not as laaggy anomore:D

3. Reag My name is an anagram for a reason

Re: Laggy

Resource spikes, nothing to be worried about.

4. Geit Coding wizard!

This is caused by someone connecting to RDP and can't be avoided, sorry!

If it doesn't stop after only doing it once, contact a manager.

5. shadiku nyoro~n

-snip-

6. Spykodemon Disabled account

Could it get any worse?

7. Bulletproof Last one alive, Lock the door.

whats VNC?

8. Reag My name is an anagram for a reason

9. Re: Laggy

Basically,

VNC is essentially taking screenshots and sending them over the internet as fast as possible. You can imagine how slow that is.

RDP is built into windows and literally transfers the GUI elements how the win32 interface sees them, rather than as a load of images. It also caches scrollable areas, so scrolling is awesomely smooth :)

I wouldn't use VNC if you paid me. Imagine using Windows with 2000 ping and less than 1 fps, compared to RDP which is (almost) as if you are sitting in front of it.

10. Re: Laggy

I spoke to a sort of friend of mine, who is a Redhat Engineer and I asked him about this, he replied to me saying what's is running on the server, so I told him what I though was running on it.

Are the following all running on GM's dedi ?

gamingmasters.org/
    gamingmasters.org/forums/
    shadiku.com/
    imgkk.com/

All 9 server, with a total 272 slots.

Hlstats CE
    Soucebans
    Soucemod
    Metamod

If this is correct, he told me that, even though you have a nice dedi, the amount of servers aren't really a problem, but the amount of slots you have is, he also said it's not advisable to mix game servers with websites, unless the sites themselves are low in traffic.
    I though you ran quite a lot of high slot servers for one dedi, maybe removing a few slots here and there, may resolve this issue?

Last edited by a moderator: 27 Nov 2013
  11. shadiku nyoro~n

-snip-

12. Re: Laggy

It may be, but that doesn't change the fact that the no action has been taken, why not simply edit the amount of slots on the servers or remove some of the less used servers, RDP really shouldn't be making the servers lag whenever someone joins it.

13. Re: Laggy

It does because, by design, Windows priorities a smooth RDP experience over anything that happens to be running.

Also empty slots mean nothing other than wasted RAM and handles.

14. Re: Laggy

We have reduced the slot count on #5 and #6, and the fps_max on all servers from 120 to 90.

15. Re: Laggy

Leave payload as 32 and make arena map as 16 players.
    it up to u though :dance:

16. Knud Phat beats only

Pipeline is more fun with 32 slots... but that is my opinion :)

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)