Looking for donations for a one-off dedi upgrade

Discussion in 'Server/Website Chat' started by Dark, 27 Jun 2011.

1. Donations so far:

Stealthy Sheep NL: $24 USD
    Rioter: £12.36 GBP
    Beauchaotica: £10 GBP
    FastJohn: £20 GBP
    Geit: £250 GBP (dat rich goat)

A huge thanks to all donors :)

--

Since our current dedi is struggling considerably to maintain even 3 smooth TF2 servers, we're currently looking into building and co-locating a powerful as fuck 1U rack server. :3:

With the specs below we could run 12 or so TF2 servers along with Minecraft even smoother than it is now on Rioter's dedi and the freedom to go as crazy as you like in terms of exploring/RAM consumption.

~see later posts for screenshots of what I've ordered~

Total cost including delivery to me and then to the datacentre will be around £850 £900, but there will be no monthly fee on top of this, and I can see this server lasting us a good 5 years or so (assuming we take care of the SSD :P)

The majority of this will be coming out of my own pocket, and for little personal gain since the current dedi serves all the purpose I need it for (other than storage), so most of the cost is going towards improving GM's gameserver lineup.

Any donations would be massively appreciated - for smaller donations PayPal admin@imgkk.com (send as gift if possible), otherwise PM me for BACS bank transfer details (unless Paypal will let you send as gift with 0% fees)

2. HellJack A message was delivered, and received.

Sounds good.

Do you have a time frame for donations? If it's sooner rather then later, I can hit you up with something from my next paycheck this pending Friday. If it's open-ended I could donate a lot more in a few months.

3. I'm planning on actually buying the thing fairly soon (next week or so) but any donations after that to offset the cost would be awesome too <3

4. Rioter Mad man box wearing lunatic for President

That's some serious power there.guess your going to have to loose a few weaboo figurines for a while.

5. May be ordering in the next day or two depending on what I hear back from the case provider regarding cooling/power :3:

And if goat bothers to send me his contribution D:

6. Geit Coding wizard!

Sending my contribution is easier said than done, but i'll try.

7. Reag My name is an anagram for a reason

I seriously hope you're not planning to run MC off that SSD when its all put together, because if you are.
    Baaaaaaaddddddd idea.

Also find it funny you're ordering the same HDD I got a few weeks ago. :V

8. Geit Coding wizard!

Swap, MySQL, backup linux recovery partition and possibly parts of the SRCDS installation (map folders etc)

9. How come?

If it's lack of sequential write speed I can just get one of those new Samsung ssds instead

10. Reag My name is an anagram for a reason

Put it short, while I was at brohoster there were more issues with the servers on the SSD drives than ones the standard 7200rpm HDDs.
    The main issue was just the fact the files were running so fast chunk corruption popped up like wildfire and the underlying factor that the SSDs size got eaten quickly by the world's files.

Also we found that running swap and java off the SSD drives was more effective then running MC off it.

11. First purchase made:

[​IMG]

A fucking 65dB 1U delta fan :3:

(Picked it up for £7 on ebay)

12. Also found a nice old server on ebay which I can gut for a fraction of what we would be paying otherwise for a case+PSU :D

13. BeauChaotica bodyshot noob

I am poor bastard! =D £10

14. XCase.co.uk seemed pretty friendly and helpful on the phone, so order placed for the case, power supply and CPU cooler at a total of £201.59

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Hope I don't win that eBay auction :ohdear:

15. Ordered all the rest of the hardware :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Get those donations in quick before my bank account explodes :V

(hnnng ~£875 total so far)

16. Reag My name is an anagram for a reason

:geno:

:suicide:

17. All the components have arrived, and the case+psu+cooler are on their way :D

[​IMG]

Don't forget to donate :V

18. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Will get started installing an OS and shit soon

Also idle power draw is 85w - seems pretty good. Sort of regret paying extra for a 300W PSU :P

19. Just finished installing Arch (hnnnng grub2+LVM+raid1+ssd+GPT) - Holy shit this thing is fast :V

Will start transferring some stuff to see how it copes under various loads. Currently IO is way beyond my expectations :D

20. HellJack A message was delivered, and received.

I just picture you laughing like the Medic while putting this thing together.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)

Users found this page by searching for:

1. poff dedi

2. gamingmasters.co.uk donate