Looking for donations for a one-off dedi upgrade

Discussion in 'Server/Website Chat' started by Dark, 27 Jun 2011.

1. coffeejunky GM's Tea-boy

Minecraft will be fine on an SSD. The server I play on (sorry GM :p) runs of an SSD. It did, however get down to around 30% durability after about 4 months running minecraft non-stop. This was before the new map format, so it should be just fine now. As for the dedi's it's possible they were using cheap drives with no, or only manual garbage collection/TRIM.

Sandy Bridge is pretty dang good for power consumption, I have mine overclocked to 4.4Ghz and still have all power saving features on (even EPU on maximum) with no stability issues at all.

I'll try and toss a little money your way, can't make any promises though. Given the activity of the clan lately your investment is very admirable :3

2. Finally got the Delta fan working after a bit of rewiring (fucking dell changed the pinout of a fucking 3 pin fan)

As loud as and even more powerful than a hairdryer :D

3. Rioter Mad man box wearing lunatic for President

To be honest, at the moment with Minecraft running the map off RAM, it works fine. Not exactly going to get better than that, unless you have the worlds fastest internet connection to notice, or 400,000 roses/tnt to play with.

Typical Dell :frog:

How loud is loud?

4. 65dB according to the specs

Also +1 to the RAM thing.

On an unrelated note, why doesn't magic carpet work on your server? Seems to just not keep up at all

5. Bad news - the PCI Express controller failed during a 5 minute CPU stress test, starting with an intermittent network connection and finishing with the motherboard behaving as if it is short circuited (CPU fan spins for a fraction of a second when the power button is pressed but no other activity).

I'll RMA the board, request a refund and buy a completely different board, which will hopefully arrive by Tuesday.

6. Spykodemon Disabled account

Bummer. :(

7. mfw the actual problem is part of the anti-static bag I stupidly had it resting on has fused to the underside of the motherboard. Guess that explains why it fucked up gradually :V

Will have a go at removing it tomorrow D: (appears I haven't fucked anything other than short-circuiting it as it gets well into the initial stages of POST without the ATX12v connector, so it's looking like it will be fixable)

inb4 douglas etc.

8. coffeejunky GM's Tea-boy

Ah yeah we tried that but the map was over 12GB in size, having only 24GB of RAM that meant severely limiting the amount of RAM available to the server and system. Plus the map would only grow to be bigger. How big is the GM map?
    Also hoping you have software that backs up the image regularly, or that you have a UPS.
    Dark I expected better of you than that. Anti-static bags are slightly conductive, never ever power on a system on one, put it on the box lid :<

9. Geit Coding wizard!

under 300MB (iirc), we have a limit on how far people can go from spawn to prevent the map from becoming pointlessly bloated. - The limit is fairly respectable, I don't think anyone has actually got there without intentionally trying to.

Also, we have hourly backups for the past 5 hours and Rioter is also saving the RAM disk to physical storage on a cron.

10. Rioter Mad man box wearing lunatic for President

Not too loud then

Not sure why, could be 1.7 broke it. Worked fine for me and everyone else in 1.6.

11. Right it's definitely nothing to do with the bag that it failed - been cleaning the fuck out of the bottom of the board for hours and it's still behaving as if it was shorted. Plus it was never touching the bag - huge screws on the bottom kept it well away. Seems like it was just a DOA.

Requested a refund and ordering this board tonight: http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=MB-050-AK (good reliable board and the IDE port will come in handy)

12. Reag My name is an anagram for a reason

[​IMG]
    Not bad for 4 worlds am I right, uncompressed all of them take 237mb.

I miss playing in the desert...

Well that sucks but overclockers.co.uk... :frog:

Last edited by a moderator: 28 Dec 2016
  13. One of the best prices for this particular board and they will do royal mail special delivery for only £12 so I can have it by tuesday.

Also the one time I've returned something to them went very smoothly

14. Reag My name is an anagram for a reason

You're extremely lucky then, extremely.
    Bought a HDD from them in the past, came to me and the platters where smashed, you could hear them.

Took me 2 weeks to get the thing replaced and the still had the nerve to make me pay for the postage for the replacement.

15. [​IMG]

Case arrived :D

16. Spykodemon Disabled account

He now owns about 30% of your dedi.

17. oh shi-

18. [​IMG]

Completed and working perfectly :D

Idles at ~45C, maxxes out at 72ish with undervolting to 1.15v.

Gonna benchmark some TF2 soon :3:

(yes I plan on tidying up the wiring)

19. I have no idea what all this shit is, but it looks good.

also nice reflection in the keyboard

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)