Main partition corrupted

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Bluepanther, 16 Mar 2009.

1. Bluepanther GM's Original Dog

Main partition corrupted

From Dark:

My boot partition (which is conveniently my only partition) is corrupted - the boot sector code executes fine, but NTLDR fails to load properly.

This has nothing to do with it being a RAID - the array is still fully intact and only the partition itself is corrupted, just like what happens to a normal hard disk.

I think it has something to do with the fact that my computer power cycled 3 times in quick succession when it was last hibernated. A motherboard-related issue means my computer reboots once saving the hibernation file is complete so I have to hold the button while it goes through the BIOS, but the button must have got stuck or something :?

Anyway, I'm not going to risk anything until I get a backup drive (yeah, I know I should have got one a long time ago).

2. Re: Main partition corrupted

You got Vista, right dark.

Try and put the vista disk in and click repair computer, sometimes it auto detects errors and repairs them.

Also I heard there's are some problems hibernating on vista. and they say it will be fixed on sp2 update. read about this in a PC mag

3. Re: Main partition corrupted

(On my 1GHz single-core craptop atm)

Yep, I'll give that a try once I'm sure there is nothing else the Paragon Partition Manager bootable CD can do (it is literally one of the best pieces of software ever imho). :)

Also turns out for some reason my Vista is loaded by GRUB, which is throwing error 17 or something like that which afaik means failed to mount partition. :(

4. Re: Main partition corrupted

Fixed \o/

<3 bootrec.exe /FixBoot :D

5. Ash

Re: Main partition corrupted

Sigh whats the point in having a Raid if you dont keep a partition code hard disk to reload partitions on drives in your raid incase one fail? ;o

6. Re: Main partition corrupted

Yeah I'm going to buy a single 600gb or so drive and do nightly backups to it :)

7. Bluepanther GM's Original Dog

Re: Main partition corrupted

New problem now: my computer suddenly shut down (faded the screen out vista-style right while I was in the middle of working on something) and refuses now refuses to boot - just before the login screen appears the hard disks sound like they're reading/writing a fuckload of data and this continued for 15 minutes before I turned it off.

I'm pretty sure it isn't a virus etc. so it must have something to do with Vista Loader 2.1.2 being removed by bootrec.exe /FixBoot, probably resulting in an invalid copy of windows.

Do any of you have any idea how to get Vista Loader (often packaged up as 'Vista Developer Activation') installed without actually booting into the installation that needs it?

Oh and just about every startup option in the list (safe modes etc.) has the same problem. :(

8. Re: Main partition corrupted

Back on my craptop again...

Turns out the black screen thing was actually Vista's way of doing boot-time chkdsk D:

Anyway, I'm pretty much stuck until I can figure out why GRUB is refusing to load bootmgr. There is nothing wrong with my RAID, partition or any hard-disk related problems at all. If I remove GRUB (and Vista Loader 2.1.2 along with it) I can boot windows and use it just fine, except obviously I get spammed with non-genuine, need to activate etc. etc. and I'm too paranoid to keep it running like that for long.

Bootmgr is obviously present if Vista is able to load normally, unless the crack also edited my MBR to point at a different boot file. I doubt it will help, but I might try copying bootmgr from another PC.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)

Users found this page by searching for:

1. vista loader 2.1.2 corrupted

2. vista loader 2.1.2 remove grub

3. vista loader 2.1.2 error bootrec.exe /FixBoot.