Meta: Genre Threads vs What Are You Listening To Right Now

Discussion in 'Music' started by The MC, 26 Jun 2015.

1. The MC Official GM PropHunt Manager

It's only day 1 of this section, so I might be jumping the gun. Maybe I misunderstood and misinterpreted, but I had thought the idea of this section was to facilitate discussion of music and all things music related.

So far, however, the genre threads have just been song dumps and essentially no different to the "what are you listening to right now" thread aside from being genre locked. No discussion, often no comments at all, just songs. The closest to what I thought this section might get used for is the vidya soundtrack thread, which initially attempts to start discussion (although it is slow devolving in to a music dump thread too).

If a bunch of "what are you listening to right now" style threads for different genres is what we want the content of this section to be, go for it and i'll stay clear.

I get that people want to dump songs they like for other people to see, but we already had (and still have) the what are you listening to thread itself. I don't know, I had just hoped that this section was going to contain more content/discussion rather than brainless music dumping with no comments.

I'm not trying to say "discussion good, dump threads bad", but maybe we want to separate the two. Genre Thread to me implies that it is going to be a discussion thread, not a song dump thread. Maybe we just need agreed upon tags, say we prefix genre discussion threads with "XXX:" and we prefix genre dump threads with "YYY:"

Last edited: 26 Jun 2015
  2. I personally kind of like the dumps of music especially in regards to genres I'm new in. It just lets me listen to a lot of good music og x genre when I am getting into it. Also people please use spoilers so loading times are not raping my anus

3. Bagman Some cunt on the internet

why not both?

4. Subv You ain't even lord of your yard

I assumed the genre threads are for both song dumps and discussion, eg you post songs that you like, but say some artist announces an upcoming album you post it there and discuss it

5. The MC Official GM PropHunt Manager

Maybe my OP is worded a little vaguely worded. I'm not trying to say "discussion good, dump threads bad", but maybe we want to separate the two. Genre Thread to me implies that it is going to be a discussion thread, not a song dump thread. Maybe we just need agreed upon tags, say we prefix genre discussion threads with "XXX:" and we prefix genre dump threads with "YYY:" Will edit this in to OP to make it seem less anti-dump.

6. Langers http://bit.ly/IqT6zt

To be fair, the section is only a few hours old, I'm sure it will settle down once people are used to it .

7. Harv Admiral Anchovy

Would be even cleaner if there was like two subs for both dumps and discussions, or one for dumps and discussions could be created directly under music.

Imo it's too cluttered if there are like [DUMP] Whatever and [Discussion] Whatever in the same section, maybe it's just me though.

8. Locust The Great Yeelord

Even if they're only song dumps, I still like the idea that they're still there instead having the huge dumping ground that is the "What are you listening to right now" thread. But it's easier said than done to post something whether it's a new artist or an already established one and then create a discussion. Plus we shouldn't segregate these threads further into genre dumps and genre discussions because it would just replicate and double the mess inside the "What are you listening to right now" thread

9. Jindo Just Look at the Parking Lot, Larry.

I'm a fan of music discussion and as you said @The MC we already have a thread for straight up sharing the songs we like, I'm really glad this forum exists now but there won't be much point in it if we're just going to dump music without saying why we're in to the things we are.

Understandably you can argue that having everything dumped in to that one thread gets a bit disorganised and difficult to search through, if there is a particular genre you're after.

10. The MC Official GM PropHunt Manager

I thought about that idea too when writing the OP, but decided I personally prefer tags.

My only gripe with subs would be that, when i'm browsing the forum via "What's New?" (isn't this how most of us "browse" the forums?), I might for example see new posts in a thread called "House" but it's not immediately clear to be whether this is a dump/discussion/etc thread from the title unless I read the small print for where the thread is located. On the other hand if I saw that there were new posts in a thread called "[Dump] House" or whatever, i'd know immediately what thread that is and whether or not I want to view it purely from the title.

What? Not segregating is what causes the mess, that's exactly the point of the segregation idea, to avoid the mess and give threads clearer purpose.

11. Mole45 Dance Little Liar

Personally I like the dumps simply for finding similar music to what I like that I've not heard before, but I agree that format of them is not conducive to discussion.
    I myself find it hard to articulate why I like music so probably won't take part in the discussions much, but having a tag or just something in the title to distinguish between the two is a good idea.

12. Subv You ain't even lord of your yard

Like everyone said, the dumps are useful for finding good songs in certain genres, if i don't know the artist in the what are you listening to thread I probably won't have any idea what genre it is (except for k-pop :P), best solution is to make 2 types of threads.

13. Mr.Bam Praise the sun!

I haven't opened the 'whatcha listening to' thread in more than two years

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)