Minecraft #2 Wastelands - Test run #1

Discussion in 'The Wastelands' started by Mysteryem, 29 Oct 2013.

1. Mysteryem The Dividing Line

The wastelands server is now up and hopefully running smoothly.

You can connect to it with a 1.6.2 client at mc.gamingmasters.org:25567

As I've fixed worked around a number of bugs, it is likely that the spawn rates for ores and more are quite a bit off. If you feel this is the case or you have any other feedback, I would be glad to hear it.

In subsequent test runs, it will be possible to add even more available chest loot and mob spawners throughout the world. For now though, there's 75 unique chests that can spawn (I was going to get people to create these on the vanilla server, but it was down, so I had to do it all myself) and 18 unique mob spawners to accompany them.

I'm also planning on giving players a third book in the spawn area that serves as an introduction to the wastelands, telling them what sort of things they can expect.

Edit: There will at some point be a crafting recipe for the recipe books you can look at in spawn.

Last edited: 29 Oct 2013
    • Wizard Wizard x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  2. God damn.
    Everything's popping back up after I start my coursework.

3. HellJack A message was delivered, and received.

Ohhhhhh...this should be fun.

4. It is. I've just been on and dug into a hole.

5. Queenie Don't tell me what to do!!!

As always amazing Myst!!
    Fire is a bit broken. I catch fire 2 blocks away from the source. Also I think there is too much soulsand. There are a lot more mobs now which I like but you loose so much hunger already that the soulsand is a bit too much imo.

Last edited: 29 Oct 2013
  6. Queenie Don't tell me what to do!!!

Yeah I am disliking the wastelands as it is now. There is too much soulsand. Everytime I find something worth getting shit spawns and and then you get nausea from the damage taken from being flung into the air by a skeleton, but you can't run because of it and still you are so slow due to the sand. For me personally there is no balance.

7. Infernal Dragon I love people very much.. with ketchup

Press double W and spacebar
    Help for me :>

But yeah, soulsand is annoying anyway. It could be more interesting if soulsand would spawn only near cool objects. So to reach them you have to defeat the slooooooooow

8. Ideas:
    • Maybe have a lot more nether rack instead of the soul sand. It's already harrowing enough trying to find a tree but once people take most of the surface trees you'll be forced to roam for too long and will probably die multiple times without finding a tree.
    • The nausea lasts a wee bit too long
    • Spawn more ghasts wherever lewy puts his base so I can hear him moan and bitch about it for about an hour.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  9. Mysteryem The Dividing Line

There are three main options to combating the amount of soul sand.

1. Introduce a biome or two which does not have soul sand as its 'grass'
    2. Set height limits between which the 'grass' will be soulsand and otherwise will be netherrack (this should work, but I haven't tested it with my changes to how the plugin works)
    3. Remove the soulsand from one (or two) of the 3 custom biomes that use it ('Extreme Hills' (biome size: 6), 'Forest' (biome size: 4) and 'Plains' (biome size: 4). (for reference, 'Deserts' have a biome size of 8)

Note that the 'grass' of a biome is modifiable separately to the 'dirt' of a biome that is beneath the grass. For example, I could make a tiny and rare biome that has fire blocks for grass and netherrack for dirt :>.
    Too much effort required to do this right now, if it's really a big problem I'll look into it, it is from a plugin that I haven't modified at the source level. The source is freely available however, so it is possible to do without it being even more of a pain.

Edit: Btw, the options for skeletons are easily modifiable if they're causing knockback way too much (they probably are). They're currently on default values:
    Code:
      Skeletons:
      Arrows Knockback Percent: 30
      Shoot Silverfish Percent: 30
      Deflect Arrows Percent: 100

10. HellJack A message was delivered, and received.

So far as the biome mechanics, would it be possible to have the following:

1) Extreme Hills - replace dirt and stone with netherrack

2) Deserts - replace stone with netherrack

3) Snow - Replace snow with soul sand

That was, we have three different types of landscapes.

11. Infernal Dragon I love people very much.. with ketchup

Why we can't use gravel and snow as a terrain

12. Everything - replace with roses.

Hardest wasteland map ever.

13. Aye, this would be nice.
    Personally I feel getting thwomped by an arrow halfway across the map then having a silverfish chase me whilst I'm nauseated is a bit too much.
    Getting backed into a corner is worse |:

14. Queenie Don't tell me what to do!!!

The thing with the skeletons is I don't mind the knock back as you already had that. But it's the combination of knock back, nausea and soul sand. For me personally soul sand is not needed at all. Vast land of nether rack, ice, gravel etc, with only just a few actual blocks of what we need (dirt and ores) is perfect. Also ghasts spawn too often. I've had 4 of them spawn in the same area and with all the other elements of the map it's just no fun.

15. Mysteryem The Dividing Line

Wasn't having soulsand everywhere how it was in the original wastelands though? This is not 'I'm making a new wastelands of ice, gravel and netherrack', this is 'I'm updating the old wastelands to newer minecraft, including various fixes that were broken with the original and updates to it based on how vanilla has changed and how the plugins have updated themselves. Much more discussion is needed imo if we were to be making drastic changes to the terrain generation.

For those interested, the mobspawning works as follows:
    For each vanilla hostile mob spawn that takes place normally, it attempts to spawn a zombie pigman. This zombie pigman is then replaced by another mob. To choose which mob to spawn, the server cycles through a list of mobs, once it reaches the end it starts back at the beginning.

The initial zombie pigman spawn requires a few conditions to be true and still has a few chances to fail:

If the light level is greater than 7 and the light level from torches and other blocks is less than or equal to 7, then there is a 5% chance the spawn will be succesful. (This means that the light from the Sun is what is putting the light level over 7, so daytime spawns in sunlight, away from torches have a 5% chance to occur)

If the light level is greater from 7 and the light level from torches and other blocks is also greater than 7, no mobs can spawn. (This means that if you light somewhere up like in vanilla, you won't get mobs spawning there)

If the light level is less than 7 there is an arbitrary 75% chance for the spawn to be succesful (this is just used to reduce the frequency of spawns of all mobs).

On top of this, there is a multiplicative chance of each type of mob successfully spawning, the defaults are as follows:

Code:
      Blaze: 0.7
      CaveSpider: 0.9
      Creeper: 1
      Enderman: 0.4
      Ghast: 0.1
      MagmaCube: 0.85
      PigZombie: 1
      Silverfish: 0.45
      Skeleton: 1
      Slime: 0.75
      Spider: 1
      Witch: 0.075
      Zombie: 1
    Ghast spawns are slightly special in that they are automatically spawned at the highest block in the world for that particular (x,z) coordinate. On top of this, they are then spawned 6 blocks into the air and then a 3x3x3 cube is checked around that point; every block in this cube must be air or else the spawn will fail.

So for every 1 succesful ghast spawn you see, on average, there should've been 7 blazes, 9 cave spiders, 10 creepers, 4 endermen, 8 or 9 magma cubes, 10 zombie pigmen, 4 or 5 silverfish, 10 skeletons, 7 or 8 slimes, 10 spiders, maybe a single witch and 10 zombies. Though these will be distributed through all y values and not all at the surface.

The individual spawn chances are fairly easy to modify and will just require a server restart to be changed. If more people are finding the ghasts to be too much, then they can be reduced. Currently, ghasts are more of an obstacle to be worked around instead of through, as the Extra Hard Mode plugin defaults to them being invulnerable to arrows. I can see this changing though.

However, this talk is all good, it is the purpose of this first test run of course.

16. HellJack A message was delivered, and received.

Well, the original Wastelands was not all Soul Sand.

There was Netherrack and Soul Sand in a combination.

17. Mysteryem The Dividing Line

Lost my post because I closed firefox by accident :V. But my best guess is that I typed something wrong and then Terrain Control tried to fix it. At one point I can definitely remember all (non-desert) biomes having soulsand except for one, whereby the soulsand only went up to about half the map.

Regardless, any terrain changes will require the whole map to be regenerated.

18. Queenie Don't tell me what to do!!!

I personally would be very much in for that. Nobody has built anything major yet. Sorry for being a pain in the arse.

19. Mysteryem The Dividing Line

At least Lewy won't have to worry about ghasts all over his base.

Because he won't have a base.

Edit: looks like I missed a zero on one of the custom objects that spawns throughout the world, so it's only been spawning between y values of 5 and 25 instead of 5 and 250. That one in particular is essentially free loot and is rare enough to begin with.

Last edited: 30 Oct 2013
  20. Mysteryem The Dividing Line

Were there not any biomes in the old wastelands that were snowy? According to the old config there should be a couple of biomes, one rarer but larger biome based off of the taiga biome, and one biome about the same size as the rest.

There was no weather though, so it wouldn't have ended up actually snowing.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)

Users found this page by searching for:

1. how to make wasteland like game minecraft