Network help

Discussion in 'Hardware and Software' started by Humpers, 20 Sep 2016.

1. Humpers GM's Resident #420 Twatmeister General

Hello my friends. I've got to uni and got my setup up and running but there have been a few network niggles that me and my flatmates are having to deal with.

The first one was that to be able to connect to and steam, you had to be connected to the internet via ethernet. No biggie easily solved. However now we have found that to connect to the student areas of the university site, you must be connected over wifi, if you try to load the sites over ethernet connection the page times out.

Obviously it's an easy fix, use ethernet to steam, use wifi to access site but I don't fancy having to constantly plug and unplug my ethernet cable as it stands to reason that I'll knacker the socket and it's also just annoying in general. Any help would be greatly appreciated because I'm truly stumped here.

2. Rioter Mad man box wearing lunatic for President

You could just keep both ethernet and wifi plugged in, and then prioritise the ethernet connection as your primary connection.

Unless you're after a totally wireless solution.... in which case that's a whole different setup.

Last edited: 20 Sep 2016
  3. Humpers GM's Resident #420 Twatmeister General

I'm currently plugged in but also connected to the wifi at the same time and the page still times out, where do I go from here?

4. Make sure ethernet is the default connection (sounds like it already is), then manually add some routes over the wifi gateway to whatever IP(s) belong to your student area site thing

Here is a nice GUI for it: http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/network_route_view.html , but it's definitely not a trivial thing to do

5. Humpers GM's Resident #420 Twatmeister General

Thanks muchly, might be a dumb question but how do I find the IPs that I need to bridge to?

6. Humpers GM's Resident #420 Twatmeister General

I know Dark is a very busy man so anyone that is able to help me with the above please give me a shout

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    • List
  7. Rioter Mad man box wearing lunatic for President

Open a command prompt. Use command
    ping whatever.studentpages.ac.uk

Theoretically, if they've all got IP addresses on the same subnet (e.g. 164.11.xxx.xxx) then you may be able to set up one route.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)