Next Modded Minecraft Server

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Mysteryem, 7 Jun 2016.

?

For these 3 modpacks, pick your first choice and your second choice (they must be different)

1. I don't mind which modpack we play (don't pick any other option with this) (+1 to each modpack)

2. First choice: Requiem HQM (+2)

3. First choice: Technodefirmacraft (+2)

4. First choice: Space Astronomy (+2)

5. Second choice: Requiem HQM (+1)

6. Second choice: Technodefirmacraft (+1)

7. Second choice: Space Astronomy (+1)

8. Second choice: Don't mind/know (+0.5 each to the modpacks that weren't your first choice)

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Mysteryem The Dividing Line

Ok, so I've been fairly absent recently and the server running our GM modpack has been left in a state of constantly crashing (something wrong with someone's base somewhere I think).

With those of us at uni coming to the end of the year, I thought now might be a good time to get another modded server up and running. I had a look around for packs that might interest us and have given you some categories to think about:

1. Resurrect the GM modpack

I can try to bring the server back into a playable state by finding and fixing whatever is causing problems, thought it's not a given that I'll be able to.

We've already invested quite a bit of time into this server, so people may want to continue where they left off.

The pack was specifically tailored to our requests, though there are some things I would do differently if I were to put together another modpack.

2. Another 'kitchen sink' modpack such as FTB Infinity Evolved

These tend to be your standard goto modpacks, so many mods that you'll be spoilt for choice. You likely won't use every mod in the pack, but it's got something for everyone.

The main disadvantage to these packs is that unintentional mod interactions are usually rampant and load times and fps may not be as good compared to smaller packs.

3. A Skyblock modpack

We ran a Skygrid server a while back and Skyblock a loooong time ago, though this time, it would be modded Skyblock.

I don't know about many of these mainly as Skyblock doesn't interest me as much, but I do know there is a Skyblock version of Infinity Evolved (and it's expert mode) as well as FTB's Skyfactory modpack which I believe has a focus on automation in the Skyblock environment

4. A 'progression tree' modpack

What I mean here, is a modpack whereby you must progress partially or wholly through certain mods in order to progress through other mods in the pack. FTB Infinity Evolved's Expert mode is a good example of this, though there are other modpacks with a similar 'progression tree' mechanic, but without the massive grind that IE:E is.

5. A HardcoreQuestingMode modpack

The general basis here is that you are given a book of quests that require you to complete certain tasks (i.e. slay a wither or collect 64 cobblestone) for a reward and access to more quests.

These sorts of modpacks can come in different shapes and sizes, it could be a kitchen sink modpack with HQM tacked on as something optional, a tutorial-esque modpack that uses HQM to run you through the majority of the mods in the pack or it could be a modpack which is much more like a vanilla Minecraft adventure map (the Material Energy series is a good example of this)

6. A 'bleeding-edge' modpack

The major modpacks are usually quite a few versions behind the current version of MinecraftForge. 'Bleeding-edge' modpacks are a collection of newer and/or updated mods which will work on newer versions of Minecraft and MinecraftForge. They will often see a lot of updates and do run a much higher risk of crashing, corrupting your worlds or requiring you to explore new chunks to generate the features of a new mod that just got added.

7. A 'hipster'/'new and upcoming mods' modpack

We've experienced one of these before with the original FTB Horizons, the current FTB Horizons: Daybreaker has been out for a while now. I would guess that there are quite a few user-made modpacks like this that either fall into the 'bleeding-edge' category or are between the old (1.7.10) and the new (1.9.4).

8. A 'themed' modpack

Any sort of modpack whereby the mods in the pack have a particular focus, e.g. magic only, farming, bee breeding or space exploration. This is probably the most open category as you could consider HQM or Skyblock themes too.

I know there's at least one person in our community who is quite fond of Galacticraft and the mods that expand upon it.

9. A 'balanced' modpack

The only ones in this category that come to mind are TPPI and TPPI2 and we've already played those. Put simply, these are usually also 'kitchen sink' modpacks, but whereby they are modified to bring the various included mods more in line with each other. In TPPI for example, all power costs for Logistics Pipes were removed to make that mod more appealing compared to Applied Energistics and Mekanism's digital miner was made much more difficult to obtain due to how much better it is than any standard quarry. Where a 'progression tree' modpack puts the mods in order, 'balanced' modpacks try to put the mods in more equal standings.

10. Something else ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Got something else you think is unique and cool? Convince other people to give it ago and we'll give it a shot.
    I've been looking at http://forum.feed-the-beast.com/thr...anse-a-different-take-on-ftb-infinity.150284/ which is a 'progression tree' modpack. It's a mixture of Magic and Tech mods, but whereby the tech mods, 'evil' magic mods and 'good' magic mods have been organised into individual progression trees.

However, as people frequently tend to shy away from magic mods, I would like to either set up a server for http://forum.feed-the-beast.com/thr...magic-hqm-magic-light-tutorial-themed.139841/ beforehand or suggest you play through some of it singleplayer. Simply Magic falls into a mix of HQM and 'themed', it's essentially a tutorial for magic mods, but it also forces you to use them by making vanilla stone tools/weapons only have 1 durability (exception being the Iron Pickaxe), that and there's no tech mods to be found (excluding Botania which is considered a tech mod in disguise). The idea here would be purely to familiarise yourself with the various magic mods before moving onto Boundless Expanse, so if we were to put up a server for Simply Magic, it likely wouldn't be around for too long.

I've particularly looked at FTB, but I know there are other modpack launchers out there such as Technic and ATLauncher which you may have looked at more.

Let me know what you think.

• Like Like x 3
    • Wizard Wizard x 1
    • List
  2. honestly anything where i can go to the moon is sweet as a nut mate

p.s good to see u back xoxo

• Sexual Tension Sexual Tension x 1
    • List
  3. Queenie Don't tell me what to do!!!

I was actually thinking about this last night. I kinda missed the good ol modded MC. The first link looks good but sadly no Thaumcraft, but I would be happy with anything really.

4. Trekkie "Be Gone Thot!"- GM Management Team 2k17

I think something like A 'progression tree' modpack and a HardcoreQuestingMode modpack since it gives players challenges to do because I find that I get bored of minecraft when I have no set goal like build this or collect that (and there is only so much building and collecting to do :/ ), but imo these two mods would give people who like building a challenge (since they have to unlock mods that might have things they want to build) and people who like adventuring a challenge ( Questing!) or both! But those are my taste's and I have no clue what other people would want. Plus idk if this has been done before.

5. Mysteryem The Dividing Line

Boundless Expanse does have Thaumcraft actually, it's considered neutral and is for the most part optional. I would say the main missing mod from the pack is Tinkers' Construct, but supposedly the pack has some things added to make up for the lack of tools Tinkers' normally provides.

6. Queenie Don't tell me what to do!!!

Oh Tinkers, yeah I forgot about that. Ohh what was the mod that you could level up a tool? That was fun.

7. Mysteryem The Dividing Line

8. Subv You ain't even lord of your yard

i'd love about any modpack that isn't ridiculously complicated and i'd have to watch a billion videos just to understand every mod

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Sexual Tension Sexual Tension x 1
    • List
  9. skyblock pls

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  10. Queenie Don't tell me what to do!!!

Tbf, that was a lot of fun too. Only I had constant sweaty palms from the fear of falling.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  11. as always if you need testers or any help with anything let me know, even tho im useless at anything but testing xo

12. Mysteryem The Dividing Line

I started having a look at various modpacks:

Boundless Expanse
    • Bunch of the mods that have been intertwined
    • 3 distinct tech trees (technology, good magic and evil magic)
    • Does encourage some exploration with a few 'shortcut' crafting recipes using Twilight Forest boss trophies (and apparently some stuff from The Erebus as well)

• No HQM for tutorials/help/quests (wiki is available for how to progress through the tech trees though)

Requiem HQM
    • Tons of HQM quests (about 800)

• No general direction with the mods in question, do whichever mods first that you would like

• Looks like a lot of the quests have been stolen from other packs with literally 0 changes (there's a quest entirely about TPPI in the modpack), whether quests have any associated rewards is ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    • No available server files (more work on my end)

Technodefirmacraft

• Based off of TerraFirmaCraft
    • HQM quests and an In-game-Wiki-Mod pages to guide you through the TerraFirmaCraft changes
    • 3 distinct technological 'ages'
    • Feels more like one of the many recent survival games on Steam

• TerraFirmaCraft changes/adds/removes a lot of mechanics (Health, stamina, thirst, punching wood is not a smart idea)

SkyFactory

• Skyblock + mods
    • Some connection between mods due to how you start with so little that you have to proceed in a certain way
    • 1st party FTB modpack (generally very high polish)

• It's Skyblock

• No HQM quests and little to no tutorial aspects when it comes to playing the pack (the 'quests' are more of a checklist that help progress you in the right direction, but give little idea on how to achieve each thing listed)
    • Very minimal start (a tree on a block of dirt, a torch, some food, a stick)

Infinity Evolved Skyblock
    • Skyblock + mods
    • Mods are connected
    • Built in guide (accessed from your inventory)
    • 1st party FTB modpack (generally very high polish)

• It's Skyblock

• Pack is considered 'expert' by default and has no other option -> May be a snooze-fest sometimes (but at least it's off to a faster start than SkyFactory, since you get a cobblestone generator at the beginning)

Space Astronomy
    • SPAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACE
    • HQM quests that guide you through the pack
    • Official 3rd party FTB modpack (generally high polish)

• Smaller pack in terms of the number of mods involved (might be less content, but likely runs better than the other packs)

• No magic mods in sight

• Like Like x 1
    • Wizard Wizard x 1
    • List
  13. Subv You ain't even lord of your yard

Terrafirmacraft is really really fun so I have to vouch for technodefirmacraft

14. Technodefirmacraft sounds p. good

or requiem

15. Hooch Luckiest man alive.

I'm up for anything but i'd be alot more interested in any mod where i can be an adventurer, running around using magic or whatever to kill mobs and raid castles. I'm not a big fan of anything where i hook up 6 machines to each other with redstone in order to make 1 diamond an hour, usually that sort of thing is too much of a hassle or just too much for my small mind to handle.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  16. Mysteryem The Dividing Line

I've collected the full mod lists and compiled a list of 'notable' mods from the various packs, this doesn't include mods that are in the vast majority of packs, unless the mods in question focus more on cosmetics.
    I'm going to open a poll about which packs you would be interested in playing.

Boundless Expanse
    Very good for both tech and magic lovers, plenty of plants for farming, additional dimensions for those who like to explore/adventure, tons of cosmetic mods and modded world generation.

AgriCraft (farming)
    Ars Magica 2 (magic)
    Aura Cascade (magic)
    Chisel 2 (cosmetic)
    Draconic Evolution (tech)
    Extra Bees + Extra Trees ('farming'/tech)
    Food Expansion
    Garden Stuff (cosmetic)
    Gendustry ('farming'/tech)
    Highlands (world generation)
    Magical Crops (farming)
    MrCrayfish's Furniture Mod (cosmetic)
    Random Things (utility)
    Simply Hammers (utility)
    Solar Flux (tech)
    Thaumcraft Inventory Scanning (magic)
    The Erebus (exploration/adventuring)
    TreeCapitator (utility)
    Twilight Forest (exploration/adventuring)
    Ztones (cosmetic)​

Requiem HQM
    Very good for both tech and magic lovers including a few mods that don't make too many appearances, some extra stuff for farming, some adventuring with Galaticraft, tons of cosmetic mods.
    Lots of quests: http://imgur.com/a/jBsVK

Ars Magica 2 (magic)
    AE2 Stuff + Extra Cells (tech)
    Blue Power (tech)
    Chisel 2 (cosmetic)
    Compact Machines (tech)
    Decocraft (cosmetic)
    EssentialCraft (magic)
    Galacticraft (tech/adventuring)
    Magical Crops (farming)
    Magneticraft (tech)
    Matter Overdrive (tech)
    Project E (magic, oh god, don't tell Joel)
    Random Things (utility)
    SuperMassiveTech (tech)
    Ztones (cosmetic)​

Technodefirmacraft
    Has some of the standard tech mods, no magic to be found, not as much cosmetic wise, focuses more on large changes to vanilla mechanics for better survival features along with unique world generation and progression
    For mod details, go to https://www.atlauncher.com/pack/TechNodefirmacraft and scroll down

(No AE2)
    TerraFirmaCraft (survival overhaul, world generation, cosmetic)
    Plant Mega Pack (world generation, cosmetic?)
    Treecapitator (utility)
    Streams (world generation)
    Dynamic Lights (utility)
    Hardcore Darkness (survival overhaul)
    Better Foliage (cosmetic)
    Localized Weather & Storms (survival overhaul)
    PneumaticCraft (tech)
    Blue Power (tech)​

SkyFactory

Think of this like the non-expert mode of Infinity Evolved Skyblock, has a mix of tech and magic and a decent amount of cosmetic and farming stuff in a skyblock environment

Extra Cells (tech)
    Chance Cubes (???)
    Chisel 2 (cosmetic)
    Cooking for Blockheads (utility/cosmetic)
    DecoCraft (cosmetic)
    Dragon Mounts (utility/???)
    Dual Hotbar (utility)
    Ex Astris + Ex Compressum + Ex Nihilo (survival overhaul)
    ExtraTiC (utility/tech?)
    Pam's HarvestCraft (farming)
    Iguana Tweaks for Tinker's Construct (utility/tech?)
    Magical Crops (farming)
    Solar Flux (tech)
    Thermal Casting (tech)​

Infinity Evolved Skyblock
    Has a mix of tech and magic, a decent amount of cosmetic stuff and a lot of farming stuff in a skyblock environment. Pack is considered 'expert', whereby recipes have been adjusted, mods intertwined and end-game expanded to make the pack more difficult and take a lot longer to get through

Advanced Solar Panels (tech)
    AgriCraft (farming)
    Extra Cells (tech)
    Extra Bees + Extra Trees ('farming'/tech)
    Cooking for Blockheads (utility/cosmetic)
    DecoCraft (cosmetic)
    Ex Astris + Ex Compressum + Ex Nihilo (survival overhaul)
    Iguana Tweaks for Tinker's Construct (utility/tech?)
    Solar Expansion (tech)​

Space Astronomy
    Quite a lot of tech mods, including some more niche, but still cool stuff. Good amounts of cosmetic stuff and plenty of exploration with Galacticraft and More Planets

AE2 Stuff + Extra Cells (tech)
    Biomes O' Plenty (world generation)
    Chisel 2 (cosmetic)
    Compact Machines (tech)
    Enchanting Plus (utility, don't tell speed)
    Galacticraft (tech/adventuring)
    Minechem (tech)
    MachineMuse's Modular Powersuits (tech)
    More Planets (adventuring)
    More Planets Extras (adventuring?)
    MrCrayfish's Furniture Mod (cosmetic)
    PneumaticCraft (tech)
    QuarryPlus (tech)
    Random Things (utility)
    Soul Shards Reborn (utility/magic?)
    Vein Miner (utility)​

17. Jolly Long Arm The Moon... It's far away!

if it takes literally 1000000 years to load then NO

Last edited: 11 Jun 2016
  18. requiem seems like it has a balance of tech and magic for people to do as they choose

19. To be fair I wouldn't mind some kind of Skyblock challenge again - maybe a month long thing to see how far along we can get?

20. HellJack A message was delivered, and received.

Teams?

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)