No more spambots, hopefully.

Discussion in 'Server/Website Chat' started by Dark, 8 Feb 2009.

1. No more spambots, hopefully.

The 194.8.75.* IP range has now been permanently banned and since that's where all the spambots were coming from, we should be free of spam for now :)

2. Ash

Re: No more spambots, hopefully.

you've banned part of russia lol

I done it on my forums as well and got complaints from russian members that couldn't connect anymore lol (roughly same I.P range I was getting spam bots from to)

I found that audio confirmation on sign up works quite nice but its not very fair on death people xD

3. Geit Coding wizard!

This ip belongs to http://dragonara.net/

194.8.75.* is actually an north English IP (I think) right near where KC host their servers.

4. Ash

194.8.75.8 and 194.8.75.0 are the exact I.P's I got for the mass of spam I got recently on my forum and whois is showing up as a russian ISP in the north of Russia.. when I banned 194.8.75.x range on all my forums I got an e-mail from a Russian member saying that he had been banned didn't understand why.. so I removed the ranged ban and just banned the precise I.P addresses.

194.8.74.* I have a few of these as well and thats showing up as dragonara.net but they haven't managed to get passed my e-mail activation they are stuck on activation period. (they are showing up as Germany not as GB according to whois as well ;o )

I'm still getting some spam but thats more from bot's disguising their I.P's but im not getting it often.

*Edit

194.8.75.0 to 194.8.75.16 are showing up as a Russian Company and 17-255 are showing up as Dragonara.net (After going to the Russian site linked from whois for 194.8.75.8 it is Dragonara just a Russian version of the site :/ sneaky stuff.

Now im not entirely sure why one of my Russian members got banned when I banned that I.P range :shock:

5. IAmNomad Ex-Leader

Can't we add one of those things to our registration form that randomly shows hard-to-read letters and numbers that must be manually entered? This would screen out any bots, because only a human would be able to read the letters/numbers. I don't know what that's called but I'm sure a few of you smart fellers here know what I'm talking about.

6. Ash

Image verification.. I have them but they dont work.. the bots can read them they scan the image for the text (hence why alot of them you see weird shapped letters or letters formed with dots or strikethroughs just generally making it hard to read them) but they still manage to get passed them.

Secret questions tend to work.. like a question that says "4+4 what is the ansewer.." but the bots have worked around this so its advisible not to use a question that has numbers..questions like "What colour bl*ck feel in the spaces" work though.

7. Re: No more spambots, hopefully.

there still spam bot/ppl around :|

8. Re: No more spambots, hopefully.

the captcha doesnt work, i'm afraid. Had that activated too, some can bypass it and some jsut register manually.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)

Users found this page by searching for:

1. unban ip address on dragonara.net