Server Layout

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Myke, 28 May 2008.

1. Server Layout

I throught i extract some info from the "Feeling of Horrible Emptiness" Topic into this one, cause it seams to be important.

Now my own suggestion:
    servers 1-3 should have votemap running with 6 maps to choose maximum, AND they should also include good preselected custom maps with the right size. Eg server one may host 3 additional custom cp maps with 5 capture points. I personaly would reduce the size of the servers to 12vs12 for the first 3 servers.
    server 4-6 should stay at 16vs16.
    server 7 is just for small maps. I think Korn_Barn would fill itself easier if it wasn't 12vs12. If i see a map with 4/24 in the serverlist i don't join, if i see 4/12 i do join.

Edit: YES, i wonna get rid of dustbowl and goldrush 24/7 everywhere...
    my goal would be to have one server for each popular gametype and votemap on (not so popular gametypes could be aggregated to one server)

Edit 2: I didn't think of the order of the servers. I think we have 2 puplic well known ports. I think server 2 and 3. They should host the most popular maps. I don't care about the order.

2. Re: Server Layout

3. Bun

Re: Server Layout

I like waebis more though. =/

4. Re: Server Layout

I don't like you anymore!!!
    no, just kidding, this topic is ment for discussion, as long as there is a server with well/granary/badlands i'll be fine. I just like this gametype more then every type else.

5. Re: Server Layout

ok, i'm gonna rewrite it a bit :P

better? ;)

6. Re: Server Layout

lol ^^
    the layout has to satisfy everyone, not just me. But Server 6 is exactly what i want, (maybe add 3 nice custom maps to it, (i already stumbled across one amazing symmetical CP map, but forgot the name) and this will be the server i'll join, when i'm online.

7. Re: Server Layout

Ok to keep things simple and to keep everything running lag free (btw 6 x 32 slot servers full is really stressing the server)

How about this?

1) Officlal/custom maps (32 slots) (auto map votes before the end of the map time)
    2) 24/7 Goldrush (32 slots)
    3) 24/7 Goldrush (32 slots)
    4) 24/7 Dustbowl (32 slots)
    5) 24/7 Dustbowl (32 slots)
    6) Match server (24 slots)

I'm aiming for a max of 1x 32 slot server per CPU core and I prefer to keep the servers at 32 slots just so that we stay at the top of the internet server list.

8. Bun

Re: Server Layout

Less dustbowl/goldrush plz! D:
    Also some 24 slot for some players with bad computers. =)

9. Re: Server Layout

To add into the mix my own suggestions:

1 all maps votable
    2 cp_dustbowl
    3 pl_goldrush
    4 pl_dustbowl/pl_goldrush rotation
    5 cp_granary/cp_well/cp_badlands votable
    6 match server

10. Re: Server Layout

I know, that goldrush and dustbowl are filled more easily than other maps, but if we remain with 4 server dedicated to these two maps, players will leave again. I start playing more on other servers than on our servers, because i don't wonna play these two maps anymore. And i know of a few other players (non clan players) that feel the same.

I think having 3 servers for those 2 maps will be enough.
    at least 2 servers should be dedicated to other servers.
    maybe one server for cp maps: granary, well, badlands, gravel_pit, ... (default: the most popular, don't know)
    and one server for the rest: 2fort, hydro, ... (default 2fort)
    both maps with votemap and a few VERY good custom maps. Not more than 7 maps possible to vote for (means 14 maps which are not dustbowl and goldrush). I would still use 24/24 servers. I sort servers by latency not "fillrate".

Edit:
    best suggestion till now!

11. Re: Server Layout

yep, zero's sounds fine. Maybe make the #1 "more custom than official maps" ;)

12. Re: Server Layout

For now we have gone with:

Code:
    GAMINGMASTERS.CO.UK #1 * 24/7 MAP VOTES * HLSTATSX 32 SLOTS
    GAMINGMASTERS.CO.UK #2 * 24/7 GOLDRUSH * HLSTATSX 32 SLOTS
    GAMINGMASTERS.CO.UK #3 * 24/7 GOLDRUSH * HLSTATSX 26 SLOTS
    GAMINGMASTERS.CO.UK #4 * 24/7 DUSTBOWL * HLSTATSX 32 SLOTS
    GAMINGMASTERS.CO.UK #5 * 24/7 DUSTBOWL * HLSTATSX 26 SLOTS
    GAMINGMASTERS.CO.UK #6 * 24/7 2FORT * HLSTATSX 26 SLOTS
    GAMINGMASTERS.CO.UK * MATCH SERVER 24 SLOTS
    This is 198 slots in total

(the 32 slots bit etc. isn't part of the actual hostname)

We may also consider changing one of the dustbowls to a map votes server if necessary.

13. Re: Server Layout

I like the idea of more *all map* servers, as there are more people it think who like the vote circulation then playing one map the whole time:)

14. Re: Server Layout

seems to be working well so far

15. Re: Server Layout

I have an idea for server 1.
    Right now, it's the same as ever... the goldrush and dustbowl servers have people playing on them, the others don't. One reason for this problem is, i quess, that server one doesn't have a default map... Who is gonna play on an empty server if he doesn't even know which map it will be. So my suggestion is (i'm not sure if this is possible):

Make cp_dustbowl the default map on server 1 but don't include it in the voteable maps. A few players join server 1 and play one round dustbowl, and then they have to vote for something else =) *evilgrin*

And another suggestion:
    When a match starts there is the green text that informs you that you may use the |GM| tag if you wonna support the clan, etc... We could broadcast all our Servers through this mechanism as well, so that people know that there are more GM servers available. ElectroMagnetic^ for instance just knew about 2 servers when he posted his join request.

16. Re: Server Layout

Looks like it's time for me to update the MOTD page :P

17. Re: Server Layout

OK, I've added "How to join GM" and "Reserved Slots" to the MOTD page (which generally looks shit in browsers rather than ingame).

The prices obviously aren't final and we haven't actually got a system in place to run reserved slots yet :P

Last edited: 27 Nov 2013
  18. Re: Server Layout

the "How to join [GM]" part:
    nice so far ;)

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)