Some low cost upgrade

Discussion in 'Hardware and Software' started by audiosl4ve, 11 Mar 2015.

1. audiosl4ve Saitama's underling

Hy folks. Well i got some late late paycheck and now i have some little money in my wallet so i decided to buy some CPU and ram. I have old pc and i would be buying old shit too but i need your help to decide what is best buy. I have around 50£. My current pc is following:
    [​IMG]

So i was looking and my picks on CPU-s are AMD Athlon 64 X2 6400+ 3.2 Dual-Core and AMD Phenom X4 9550 2.2 GHz Quad-Core.
    On ebay Phenom is cheaper and if i buy that i could buy more ram too with rest of the money. But if i buy Athlon 6400+ i don't have any room for money. So if you have some suggestion on what to buy it would be great cause i'm in a hole and just can't decide. Thanks for any help!

Yours only,

audio

Last edited by a moderator: 28 Dec 2016
  2. Jolly Long Arm The Moon... It's far away!

£50 wont get you much unless your wanting to look at 2nd hand
    also the cost of ddr2 ram is > then ddr3 which is better (will need new motherboard to support it though)

3. audiosl4ve Saitama's underling

i am lookinf for used CPU's. And yeah more ddr2 ram. It sucks i know bu that's the best i can do

4. -M-m- herpderp

I'd suggest that you start looking into saving more cash over a few months instead maybe 150 - 400 at least and do a large jump on the upgrade instead of something that makes a small difference for now but will still cost you the same cash to update later.

If you really need to update though, id go for the quad core and oc too at least 2.6 ghz, get a cheap but decent cpu cooler if you dont have one already and then ram.

Then look for a gpu like a hd 7850 or hd 6870 if you have a decent powersupply already.
    Though if you are looking for a better framerate a new gpu would settle in just fine on that dualcore if you overclock a bit so its around 2.6 ghz at least.

See if you have anything random too sell that isnt really used like some collectible item no ones really used in years like a old watch or something to fund the upgrades for it.

Maybe hear around with people at work if they have any old pc rotting somewhere that is atleast 2007 or 2008 and the local schools, college might have something if you just ask around a bit.

I myself got my hands on 2 hdd's ( 500 gb Sata drives for free and working fine still)
    And a older pci wifi card that sits in my pc as well about two years ago before i switched too another school with the stuff i wanted to learn and do which is where i am now.

Or visit a scrapyard and bring some donuts or similar too them or maybe ask if you can take a bit of computer parts here for a free upgrade or for a school project or if they could look the other way for a moment as you get to go through the electronics bin there :P.

(Friend of mine at the school here got a ps3 slim like that about a year ago just asking them at the scrapyard once he saw it. That ps3 just needed a bit of cleaning and a new dvd, and it was working again lol)
    And ask if you can look for a bit among the computer parts there if theres anything useful that you can bring home to do it with.

If you do find a core 2 duo system on 2.6 ghz or more then take that motherboard,cpu, ram and just test too see if it works with the parts from your own pc.
    (usually powersupplies that die before anything else and people without knowledge just considers it broken and replace it heh.)

If there is any electronics scrap place you can go look through near a school or similar its worth a shot as well.

5. NomNom Chompski BURNING LOVEEEE

Yeah that system is a dead end. Better start saving your pennies/christmas/birthday money.

6. If your motherboard won't at least take an AM3 CPU, I'd give up on any chances of a partial upgrade

7. This may sound silly, but do you have two graphics cards? It says there that you have a primary and secondary, but have Crossfire disabled (just a thought)

Last edited by a moderator: 28 Dec 2016
  8. audiosl4ve Saitama's underling

Yeah i must agree with all of you. It's a dead end but the problem is i know i'll never save any money because my parents don't and can't support my education so i must pay collage on my own, pay my own train ticket, have money for lunch and all that stuff. Since i don't have any regular job it's hard to live and there is time that i have enought money to buy whole mid gaming pc and time that i don't even have for lunch (which is very often). So yeah i know it's always hard to save money but "i am saving" money 5 years already for pc and i don't have singe penny left because you know, shit happenes. Last time i got money for b-day, christmas was like 8 years ago when i celebrated one b-day. Later on i never got any. So yeah i just thing that if i don't upgrade now i'l be stuck with this shitty old pc forever and still after that. Well i guess it's desteny :D

And no savage i don't have 2 gpu's. I don't know why it's like this. It was the same with my last even more shittyest pc and i don't know the reason. GPU works the best it can so i won't complain.

9. What psu do you have? If I was in your shoes I would just get a 2nd hand graphics card. Heck I could send you one of my old ones if your psu could handle it.

10. audiosl4ve Saitama's underling

some random 420W psu. At least there's a sticker on it saying it's 420 xD

• Like Like x 1
    • Sexual Tension Sexual Tension x 1
    • List

11. My gtx 275 wouldn't run on that I have an Ati radeon 4830, not sure how much of an upgrade that would be, will check it out.

12. audiosl4ve Saitama's underling

thanks for all you've done <3

13. I actually should have a 8800 gts somewhere if you want that over the hd 4830.

14. audiosl4ve Saitama's underling

well that would do me good <3

so should i then consider buying that phenom cpu? I found this one: http://goo.gl/iKGsA9
    Thoughts?

15. What motherboard do you have? If its am2 not am2+ im not sure if that would be compatible or not.

16. Should have this motherboard if the info above is correct. It says "AMD Socket AM2+ / AM2 Athlon64/Athlon64 FX/Athlon64 X2/Sempron Processors" - but nothing about Phenom... can't remember if that makes a difference :v

17. audiosl4ve Saitama's underling

18. Pm me your address and I will send you the 4830. And that cpu will be fine looked up the compatibility.

• Friendly Friendly x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  19. audiosl4ve Saitama's underling

Luna you have my thanks <3

20. audiosl4ve Saitama's underling

hmm guess i can't buy that Phenom CPU because it's will work but not on full speed. It has something with multipliers and it just won't run well. I guess i'll have to look for some better Athlon 64 x2. Well thank you guys anyway ^^

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)