Starbound Public Server

Discussion in 'Server/Website Chat' started by HairymanBreast, 21 Dec 2014.

1. HairymanBreast honey roast peanut

Howdy, I've been enjoying Starbound again recently, and figured i'd come back to this community because it gave me a warm welcome before! (appreciated)

But over the past few days I've played on the public server there have been countless times the server has crashed, this would be okay if the server restarts weren't so long. While I understand these issues are not un-common with servers, I wandered if there was reasoning, or if this could be addressed? (The most crashes happened within 30 minutes of each-other)

Also another thing thats been bugging myself and a friend is that some people are getting online and purposely trying to grief people, which is perfectly normal for Starbound servers, BUT, when they get denied all their party invitations, they proceed to trying to slow the server down as much as possible with their illegitimate items, which is something nobody can really do anything about unless somebody checks console and kicks them while it's happening.

I'm just wandering if people were at all aware of these issues or if they're being addressed!

Thanks for reading, Hairy.

2. HairymanBreast honey roast peanut

and then we get people like this...
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: 28 Dec 2016
  3. HairymanBreast honey roast peanut

Plenty views and no replies, not sure why. I'm going to look into some possible developments that may help.

Who are the staff working alongside the Starbound servers? Or is it just maintaining itself with restarts?

4. As a couple people have said, there is no admin options within Starbound as the multiplayer support is shoddy.

Just copy and pasted what Mysteryem said yesteday.

The other option would be to try and get to know us more and get accepted onto the private starbound server which only has trusted members on it.

5. We can't do anything until the developers actually make some way for us to admin the servers.

6. HairymanBreast honey roast peanut

That would only fix things for the whitelist server, there tends to be more players on the Open one, it'd be nice if they had a better experience online.

Sorry if it seems like i'm nagging, i'm just trying to understand the Server support Starbound has, and now I do I can look into developing certain features.

7. Mole45 Dance Little Liar

Seems to sum it up sadly. Unless one of the managers or senior server admins comes up with something I don't know about.

8. HellJack A message was delivered, and received.

Trust me, I specifically bought the game for the EXPRESS purpose of policing it. Unfortunately, there is no support to police it.

9. HairymanBreast honey roast peanut

Have just found a post about an update being in the works with plenty Admin commands. Hopefully that will come with the Winter update (mid-January).

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  10. Just me, and all I do is wipe the universe once it hits 20gb or so (server takes several minutes to start at that point)

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  11. Mysteryem The Dividing Line

Mm, there was a mammoth update to the unstable branch containing most of what was in the nightlies. I think the update should be hitting stable in the first few months of next year.

There are server management programs, though they're all unofficial and are basically just proxy servers, modifying and intercepting packets. Starbound got off to a pretty rocky start when it turned out that the first main server management program was written by the same guy that released an unofficial build of Bukkit with a backdoor written into it. He went around shutting down servers, recorded it and put it on youtube. He did the same thing for terraria, also completely destroyed Pokemon World Online and full on power tripped in a forum community (reading private messages and more).

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  12. HairymanBreast honey roast peanut

I see, currently it can take about 10 minutes I beleive, depends.

My gosh why have I never heard about that... I see. I was planning to do something unofficial myself but since it's possibly only a month or two away I don't want to waste my time developing something that will soon be replaced!

13. Mysteryem The Dividing Line

Well, it's titled as the Winter update () so I'm assuming that means some time next year. If it had been planned for Christmas, I'm sure they would have advertised it as such.

14. HairymanBreast honey roast peanut

I heard January in a couple places, hopefully if there aren't many setbacks then that'll be correct! Although we could be realistic and expect it for Feb sometime.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)

Users found this page by searching for:

1. nu vot

2. public starbound serves what is it like

3. starbound public servers