The bad thing that happened to you today.(Venting thread)

Discussion in 'Random' started by Akiba, 2 Mar 2013.

1. Dan Chief Detective at GM Police HQ - Jagex #1 Fan!

Apple store will fix it for like £70.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  2. audiosl4ve Saitama's underling

ftfy

3. Dan Chief Detective at GM Police HQ - Jagex #1 Fan!

I just looked it up because I wasn't sure how much it was, they must have put it up since I got mine fixed, it's £126 now. Bit expensive now imo.

I got mine fixed for like £79. Apple store, legit screen, pick it up an hour after. Was so nice. Sucks they put the price up.

4. Rioter Mad man box wearing lunatic for President

Brought my (ageing) desktop to a gaming lan. Windows decides it's the perfect opportunity to screw itself over and render my computer unusable. Graphics wouldn't work, even in safe mode and low res mode, even if I swapped the graphics cards. Eventually gave up, and I've spent the last four hours on and off trying to rebuild it very quickly.

5. Cactus The key is to never give up

One of our coursework's deadline was today. It was a group coursework (the first group one I've ever done).

We had poorly managed it, had little communication and scraped together a basic solution (which in itself is probably ok and can still get something like 60/100 idk) however we handed it in late (only by ~5 minutes) but still really shitty. None of my groupmates (who are my friends - i even live with one of them) seem that bothered whatsoever. Some courses are much harsher on late submissions (I know someone who got 10% taken off her grade, and I've heard of some people (albeit only rumours) getting 0 as they handed it in late) and I have no idea how harsh a punishment we'll get. I've emailed the lecturer apologising and explaining (we did technically have 2 issues that were out of our control however if we hadn't left it till very much the last minute we would not have had any of these issues). I've also heard later from another group I was supposed to print off this coversheet that we get generated 3 times, one for each of the reports we had to do, however I only printed it off once (also I know that they were not meant to staple the reports all together however the woman (a receptionist, not related to the course in any way) we handed them in to did so...)

E: fortunately this is probably only worth about 2% of my degree but still...

Last edited: 14 Nov 2016
  6. Falsey John, the Goldfish: Never Forgotten

Just some words of advice;

Do not compare yourself to other people in turns of your studies, and especially not your mates. Your mates are not a healthy measuring stick for how much/little effort you should put in. Recently I've been hanging out with a mate whose a 1st Degree quality History student and was genuinely humbled by seeing his commitment to his work; all-nighters, even when summative work isn't due, constantly finding something to be passionate about, constant studying etc. It made me realise that, if I am to aim for as high a degree as possible, I was doing maybe 10% of the effort and, as a result, the last two weeks have been the most productive I've spent at uni.

You will have mates who are striving for a good degree. Then you have mates who would rather, even if they don't/can't admit to it, do only 30% of that effort and just get a 2.2. Figure out what you'll be able to be happy with when walking away from uni; do NOT compare your studies to your mates, even if they're doing the exact same studies. No two persons studies are the same.

The way I see it; doing the required reading a week will point you towards a 2.2. Doing the required reading and working on it, rereading etc, until you fully understand it will point you towards a low 2.1. Going a step further and then doing some of the further reading, expanding your studies past the point of the bear minimal, is how you can get a solid 2.1 and be pointed towards a First Class Degree.

Deadlines need to be respected; missing a deadline is an academic faux pas. The closer you work towards the deadline, the more you leave it to the last second, the less time you have to edit, assess your own argument and make any dramatic changes because you've got 10 minutes left to put in the footnotes. The difference to just finishing an essay in time to send it and finishing an essay, rereading it, thinking on it and assessing its strength, then making dramatic changes that lead to a second/third draft that is almost entirely different is the dedication that'll get you a 2.1 and a First.

Deadlines, at least for the stuff I've done for English Lit and History, are penalising and for good reason; if you were an academic, you can't turn round to the people who've funded your work and go "sorry, going to finish a day/week/month later than planned". The rule for my school of study is 10% taken off if its even a minute late, 20% if its 24 hours late, 0% if its anymore.

There is very rarely a situation where it is worth taking the % penalty just to have extra time.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • Douglas Douglas x 1
    • List
  7. audiosl4ve Saitama's underling

"they" closed off few torrent trackers (2 best trackers for music) these days and now i guess torrent community is falling apart. I'm so sad right now :(
    Where will i get my music now :'(

8. Humpers GM's Resident #420 Twatmeister General

HITMAN is now 50% off on steam ffs

9. HellJack A message was delivered, and received.

Thanks for the heads up. I've been meaning to get that one.

10. Humpers GM's Resident #420 Twatmeister General

It's a damn good game, I cant' stop playing it

11. Humpers GM's Resident #420 Twatmeister General

Just played a 6hr45min-ish straight session of 7 Days To Die. Having scraped through to 22:00 on day 6 I was preparing a cobblestone zombie-assault-proof on top of a gas station. It was going perfectly until I placed a single wood frame on a wall and everything collapsed. My entire base and half the gas station turned to a pile of rubble in less than 10 seconds. It's currently 4:23am and I think I may have had a lapse in judgement when I decided to see a 7 day playthrough all the way to the end.

f u c k i n g k i l l m e p l e a s e

12. Queenie Don't tell me what to do!!!

Thats not bad but fucking funny. Also, some of the zombies can climb to roof tops.

We should do a playthrough together :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  13. Humpers GM's Resident #420 Twatmeister General

Yeah it was as I was preparing the roof to fight the jumpers and got absolutely fucked. Definitely down for a play this game is brutally unforgiving I reckon it'll be a laugh

14. Realised our sprays page is in the first few google results for 'tf2 sprays', 'gmod sprays', 'nsfw sprays' and more, and the vast majority of our search traffic comes to that page

Can't run ads on it though because google policies :(

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • List
  15. Jolly Long Arm The Moon... It's far away!

FUCKING CUNTS LOST MY UNI WORK.
    How the absoulute fuck do you lose a 15 page portfolio which is in a folder.

16. NomNom Chompski BURNING LOVEEEE

Had a little bass in the car before starting work and i thought to myself " really should have the engine running" went to start the car and ggwp flat battery. Fek.

17. NomNom Chompski BURNING LOVEEEE

Update, got out of work and it started after a bit of persuastion!

18. Rioter Mad man box wearing lunatic for President

Three, being the lemons they are, cancelled the wrong contract. They cancelled my phone contract instead of my Mobile Broadband contract. I'm now left with a phone I can't really use, a MiFi hotspot which is now cancelled immediately as I was not willing to pay them, and I need my phone for work and to get me to a transmitter on Monday. Not impressed.

I've had to dig out my old phone for now.

[​IMG]

19. NomNom Chompski BURNING LOVEEEE

12 hour shifts (11 hours stood) tuesday/wednesday/friday, im so tired and ive done literally nothing at home. Fml >.<

20. Just think about payday though! All that £££ rollin' in - you'll be sorted ;P

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)