The good thing that happened to you today

Discussion in 'Random' started by Infernal Dragon, 26 Jan 2013.

1. Mister Spuds I don't understand what's going on here...

Bloody hell what a couple of weeks I've had.

A few weeks back, out of nowhere I got an email from a company that recruits graduates to teach English as a foreign language, specifically in China. At first it seemed too good to be true since the idea of the whole thing and what they were offering was just so ideal but as I started progressing with applying for one of their interviews and it seemingly going well it actually seemed like it could be a real thing that could happen.

So I started telling people that I could be living + working in China for a year and how awesome that would be etc etc, but at the same time totally expecting to be just rejected for whatever reason, another opportunity dangled in your face but whisked away; as well as keeping it modest with the whole thing just in case talking about it too much would bring bad luck or something.

But as soon as I got offered the job things started just speeding up like mad. Next thing I knew it everyday was going off somewhere buying this, buying that, applying for that, printing here, signing this document there, yadda yadda and I had even quit my job so quickly, things were really getting serious.

What started as excitement and perhaps a little disbelief turned into stress and more even disbelief that it was evening happening. It was actually only a few days ago that everything was sorted out and all packed. As soon as all that crap was out of the way I finally started to feel that optimistic excitement again for moving to China!

Getting messages from everyone saying "congratulations!", "I'm sad your leaving :(" and "stop calling me" were finally bringing home the idea that this is all actually happening and in less than a few days my entire way of living is going to be pretty darn different.

I had planned the last few days I had left in the U.K. to be friends and family focused. Two of my best friends from university had said they would come up to see me off and I aimed to say goodbye to everyone on mumble on the final day.

Little did I know that Lewis had planned a surprise send off party. So one minute I was quite happily spending my morning playing games with my housemates then suddenly a fucking conga line of mumble-residents just started pouring into my living room! I don't think I've ever been quite as surprised, happy or confused as that moment when I realised what the heck was going on (especially when I realised I was still in my pyjamas).

What followed was probably one of the best few days I've ever had in my entire life (I'm even tearing up just thinking about what even happened) and I've never laughed so much in one day than that day of playing party games with you guys. I can say without a doubt that when I'm old and poopy I'll always remember that day and what you guys did.

What was great about the whole thing was how well everyone just clicked so well with each other. Everything just felt so normal and chill, it was amazing.

So to all of you who gave one of the most fantastic send-off parties ever, thank you so much, you really don't know how much it means to me and how much I value your friendship. And that doesn't just stop with these guys, thank you to everyone on mumble for putting up with my shit for all these years, my virtual family.

Mumble and everyone on it has had such an impact on my life and have made me the little weirdo I am today. It's weird to think what started off as just shyly following someone, who thought Skype was like living in PURE peasantry, turned into discovering a whole set of weird and diverse individuals that would mean so much to me. If it wasn't for the friends I made on Mumble who I laughed with, cried with, shouted at and weirded out with I honestly don't know who or where I would even be in this world if it wasn't for you guys, you mean SO much to me.

I say all this as if I'll never speak to you guys again, it's only a year and even then I'm certainly making an effort to try and spend at least sometime on mumble during the weekends (damn timezones!). But sometimes life events, gestures of kindness and friendship have a way of making you a feel a little bit soppy and warm inside :3

• Friendly Friendly x 20
    • List
  2. loser

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • List
  3. Finally managed to secure a new job after an interview yesterday morning (With bonus thanks to Duker).

Product listing in the same company he also works at - higher wage, and after a few months I'm eligible for flexible hours which is a huge plus. The extra money will allow me to also finally afford insurance on a car for myself, as well as more comfortably pay off my mortgage.

I leave my current job on the 28th and start in the new place on the 29th. No time wasted.

• Like Like x 9
    • Wizard Wizard x 2
    • List
  4. Cactus The key is to never give up

Since about September I've had a variety of performance issues with League. Firstly, I was unable to alt tab very easily (would break my game if I did it during loading, and sometimes would also break it during the game). My second issue is that randomly the game freezes (only in League, no other game), perhaps once or twice per game (probably due to my CPU being pretty poor).

Yesterday, I alt tabbed as soon as a game started (after loading screen). The game broke, and I was trying to fix it (restart league, restart whole league client, then restart whole computer (this usually works)) however I couldn't so tried troubleshooting it, like updating my GPU drivers and searching for any known solutions online. After about 18 minutes of trying to fix it, it randomly fixed itself, however changed the resolution to something tiny (think 800x600) so i finished the ARAM in that resolution then opened up a bot game and changed all my settings back to normal (resolution 1920x1080 & windowed + borderless). However I was only getting 30fps (it appeared locked). Today I updated my drivers and as I loaded up a bot game, and was getting 60fps, and I accidentally opened something just as the game started, however I tabbed back in fine. This leads me to believe I was playing in fucking full screen mode for 6+ months without realising (alt tabbing would literally ruin the game and would not let me reconnect for like 5-10 minutes usually). Therefore the good thing that happened to me was I realised I was a fucking numpty for ages but i've sold the issue :))))))))) Unfortunately I haven't fixed the freezing issue, however I think that's related to my CPU.

• Wizard Wizard x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  5. Hooch Luckiest man alive.

How much did you get for it?

Good you got that shit fixed tho

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Zing Zing x 1
    • List
  6. Cactus The key is to never give up

3 fiddy

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Wizard Wizard x 1
    • List
  7. Humpers GM's Resident #420 Twatmeister General

8. NomNom Chompski BURNING LOVEEEE

Went out riding at the weekend with the lads up the forest, now im not fast on my bike by any means, but i'm getting a fuck tonne more consistent with my times. Just need a can of Man Up to actually hit the trails harder :c

9. Cactus The key is to never give up

What is this actually called? Downhill offroad bike racing? Always see redbull doing this sort of stuff and it looks pretty cool

10. NomNom Chompski BURNING LOVEEEE

This is more trail orientated. The forestry commission has like 3 grades for public trails, blue which are the easiest, red which can have complexity (in the video) and blacks which are generally proper downhill routes. The redbull races are done (i think) on black routes depending on location, up at Hamsterley they have a paid DH run called Decent which is what all the local pro riders use. Danny Hart whos a utter fucking beast runs it reguarly:

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  11. Humpers GM's Resident #420 Twatmeister General

Place called Bedgebury near us has an insane black route, I've nearly killed myself multiple times on it and I'd do it anytime and the drop of a hat, I might get a go pro setup going for reference, any suggestions for mounts/cameras etc?

12. NomNom Chompski BURNING LOVEEEE

Chest/helmet is pretty common mounting points, gotta be careful with the chest mount if you bin it, gopros hitting you with the force of your bodyweight isn't exactly nice and could result in more injuries. The video i posted was off a chest mount with the (wifi?) wrist control.

13. NomNom Chompski BURNING LOVEEEE

Deploying my new (old) server out today, moving my game servers and other services from a shitty vps to a 8 core 16 thread HP DL 360 G6 with Proxmox virtualisation then a main Debian VM running game servers and web/sql

14. Cactus The key is to never give up

GROSS GORE IS UNBANNED ON TWITCH

MY BOY GROSS GORE MY G MY NEIGHBOUR

• Sexual Tension Sexual Tension x 1
    • List
  15. Humpers GM's Resident #420 Twatmeister General

You need to get out more

16. Cactus The key is to never give up

LITERALLY HAVE BEEN OUTSIDE <15 HOURS SINCE TUESDAY COS OF COURSEWORK PROBABLY WONT CHANGE TBH COS I GOTTA POWER REVISE ONCE THIS SHIT IS DONE

17. HellJack A message was delivered, and received.

I've been offered a job.

The fine folks at WRLH-TV in Richmond, VA have made the brilliant decision to offer me a position as their newest Master Control Operator.

So, for the first time in my life I'll be living someplace other than Maine.

My start date is just over 30 days from now, so I have some work to do to relocate my stupid self down there.

• Like Like x 12
    • Wizard Wizard x 3
    • List
  18. nlspeed Rex Omnium Imperarum

Oh really? No, mister Jack, I think it is far more questionable to offer you a job of 'Master Control Operator'... Almost questionable enough for me to intriguingly start watching this TV channel to see the madness ensue. :P

But in all seriosity, congratulations! :)

And while I'm here - the shock, I am actually on this forum! - I suppose I could mention that the schoolyear is almost at its end. Only a thesis to hand in, in two weeks time, a random assignment in a few days, and an exam to do in four weeks or so. I easily passed the TOEFL - a very silly requisite, for we have classes in English, and even my thesis is in English - and I already passed the GMAT last year - a far, far harder test, that I passed by pure luck and the fact that I scored in the 91st percentile on English - so I'm almost all set to start with my Master's next year (well, I speak of passed, but different universities have different score requirements; mine has 91/120 for the TOEFL in total, with 22 for every individual part - I scored 115 in total - and 600 for the GMAT, for which I scored 620). And then it is off to become part of the proletariat!

19. Cactus The key is to never give up

finish courseworks

start revise

do exams

???

profit(?)

why my uni do everything so late

20. Cactus The key is to never give up

a library vending machine just charged me £0.08 for some chilli heatwave doritos

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Wizard Wizard x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • List

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)