The Hidden: Source

Discussion in 'Other Games and MMORPGs' started by dukeofcrumpet, 2 Aug 2012.

1. [​IMG]

Generic copy and paste from site:

"Mission Briefing : Hunt down an invisible enemy.
    The Infinitum Research Intercept Squad (I.R.I.S.) is on the hunt for a fugitive, the subject of a secret genetic experiment, who is known only as Subject 617. The Good News : The IRIS team is well trained, well armed and co-ordinated.

The Bad News : The genetic manipulation has given Subject 617 enhanced speed, mobility and incredible strength - he can pounce like a tiger, cling to any surface and is known to pin victims up for feeding. Worst of all, the experiments have rendered him nearly invisible to the human eye. This is why he is simply known as ... The Hidden"

[​IMG]

We just stumbled back into this ultra old mod this morning, had some really tense and atmospheric moments. It's pretty challenging at times for the guy playing Subject 617, but when it works the panic being generated throughout the IRIS team members was awesome.

I'd love it if we could set our own server up so we can keep it largely exclusive to clan and community members. We encountered hackers tonight which really ruined the atmosphere.

If it's possible could I ask for a few features:
    • Friendly-fire ON. (OFF negates the blinding effects/scare tactics the hidden can employ as players just happily dumb fire everywhere)
    • Disable the "Survival" mode entirely, it seems to come on every few map changes and it's a massive snowballing gametype for the hidden (he has unlimited respawns and converts those he kills in to hidden).
    • Let's look through the maps, kick out the ones that are totally one-sided against the Hidden character (i.e. the sewers level which is full of long corridors the IRIS team can camp down).

The Hidden: Source can be found on the Steam store. Alternatively you can download the latest beta version we're using here: http://www.hidden-source.com/downloads.htm

Looking forward to some scared mumble chatter together :D

Last edited by a moderator: 28 Dec 2016
    • Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Wizard Wizard x 1
    • List
  2. Falsey John, the Goldfish: Never Forgotten

The way I see it, this game NEEDS to be pretty hardcore.

It can't be like TTT, which is pretty forgivingly easy to frequent players and randomers alike, where if players are stressing each other out due to their to bad teamwork or bad kills, they're dealt with by a karma system which deals with everything.

This needs to be done so it isn't just a casual game of TF2 or something. It needs to be tense, with everyone getting heated up because one wrong shot can result with a teammate dead from nervous, friendly firing. It needs to be extreme and unforgiving, just so that the game balances itself out, i.e. the squad not being able to fire away whenever the Hunter appears and have to think about their shots, and the Hunter being able to use panic and poor teamplaying to his advantage.

In my opinion, this game should be played with only Mumble members, seeing as there's only room for nine. That way, at least we can trust each other and play the game as it's suppose to be; walking around in squads and checking all corners, confirming each shot before firing, blinding grenades throws combined with nervous squad members leading to mass destruction etc.

If we're not shouting at each other angrily while the Hunter is picking us off one by one, then we just wouldn't be truly experiencing the game.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  3. Zetsumei Spaceman

I used to play this a far bit a while a go its fun with a group of you

4. Gaw discord is my friend now

I played this before with randomers and didn't enjoy it whatsoever. But based on your second post, it does sound better, so I think I may give it another shot.

Downloaded, installed and ready to go.

• Like Like x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    • List
  5. Played some more today, the game is amazing with a bunch of people you know, not so fun when tons of randomers with no mic show up. Still loving the idea of a GM private server.

Might need to take a look at the shotgun if we do set up a server, it's becoming the go-to weapon because it can reliably one-shot the hidden player from across the room.

6. Downloaded server files, will have a bash at installing it later

7. Sim Burner of props and hunter of hunters

Just started the download - I will attempt to play it properly with you guys (meaning I will have to overcome mic constipation and my habit of slamming escape in games like this whenever I hear a noise).

8. HellJack A message was delivered, and received.

So, this is a hardcore game?

Not casual like TF2 but...serious and shit?

9. Keep in mind this isn't gmod - making gameplay changes like removing weapons is a lot easier said than done unless they happen to have added a cvar for it or something

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Douglas Douglas x 1
    • List
  10. loll Master Exploder

Downloaded, again, after that many years...
    I used to play this. A lot. I suck at IRISh but I'm decent at playing Hidden >:3 <- mfw I kill you.

EDIT:
    No it's not. The shotgun is a weird one. Sometimes it doesn't do any damage point blank, sometimes 1-shots from a huge distance. It's totally random....

• List
  11. ima Bean Go ham or go home.

Need to buy like a million games to play with you guys :(

And I will, one day..:unsmith:

12. Bagman Some cunt on the internet

here's hoping it won't crash my video card c:

13. get LoL bitch

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    • List
  14. ima Bean Go ham or go home.

Might take a while as it refuses to install *sigh*

What is your avatar..

Also yeah turns out I don't even need half life for hidden (derp)

15. Zetsumei Spaceman

so romantic

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  16. Server is now up, port 27039

• Wizard Wizard x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  17. Thank you, Dark! :D

Is it at all possible in the mod to enable RTV or something similar? Most of the maps are good, but some of the smaller ones just do not work when you've got more than 5 players (max is 9 I believe).

Also, what do people think about keeping the server private? Playing with anyone not in comms really ruins the atmosphere for me, and a great strength of the game is that it works REALLY well even when there's only 3-4 survivors against the Hidden player.

18. Rioter Mad man box wearing lunatic for President

I remember playing this one day some time ago.....

Keep the server private for the moment. Can open it up at a later date if we need to.

Am I downloading the normal or beta version?

19. Hooch Luckiest man alive.

i'm all for this.
    that way we can control if we want to play serious, goof around or practice /whatever.

20. Arrk "a rebel just for kicks"

Everyone who get's the Steam ticked id error when joining the server here is what you have to do:
    Exit Steam, go to your steam folder and delete everything there except for the folder named steamapps and the file named steam.exe
    Then start Steam up again and you will have to login(you may get an email from SteamGuard) and it will redownload some files fairly quickly.
    That's it you can now play.
    Disregard^. Apparently you can just delete the config folder and it works fine.

• Wizard Wizard x 1
    • List

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)

Users found this page by searching for:

1. the hidden source controls

2. hidden source controls

3. the hidden controls

4. how to change your name in the hidden,
  5. hidden source beta 4b wont start,
  6. hidden source wont start,
  7. the hidden source hidden controls,
  8. hidden source beta 4b wont launch,
  9. how to change your name on the hidden,
  10. the hidden controls source