UK General Election Thread

Discussion in 'Random' started by Falsey, 8 May 2015.

1. No one has won, especially not the poor/disabled/vulnerable.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  2. Falsey John, the Goldfish: Never Forgotten

Conservatives are 'alright'.

Obviously in an ideal world I'd vote for someone else, but they've run the country fine these last few years (que nitpicking)

Don't personally see the sense breaking the status quo for the sake of it. Labour's a messy party right now and UKIP, Green etc are too radical and daft

3. Falsey John, the Goldfish: Never Forgotten

Melodrama is not an acceptable political stance my friend :^)

4. Agree with the green etc being too radical and inexperienced which is why I wouldn't vote for them to run the country.

I'm not going to bash you for voting con but surely you can't believe they're going to do a better job than labour especially considering how they've been doing?

The UK is basically propped up by the working class doing menial and low paid jobs, yet food bank usage has risen & the amount of homeless has risen. Cameron has allowed the use of 0 hour contracts to bolster the numbers of the 'now employed' when people still have to claim off the government because they don't earn enough.

The NHS is in a worse spot now than it was. Royal Mail has been sold off and the government fucked that up costing the tax payers money whilst still being able to put money in the pockets of the rich. They're cutting tax for the richer whilst aiming to take away benefits that the working class has used to stablise themselves with, in one fell swoop.

Surely cutting the tax for the higher earners ( vastly increasing the money they need to find), not combatting tax evasion (which would vastly reduce the money they need to find), still allowing 0 hour contracts (meaning people can still claim on benefits, whilst 'reducing unemployment figures'), introducing a TTIP bill which I highly doubt anyone knows about which will ruin workers rights and the NHS, CANNOT help the country. It will help the south, the 1% whilst creating such a large divide between the working class and upper class.

You can bash previous labour governments but Ed actually had decent policies and numbers, tacking tax evasion and helping out the less fortunate is morally right for both the country and the people within the country.

George Osborne has borrowed more than any labour government ever has and you still they think can 'fix' this economy?

Edit: it's not melodramatic when people are suffering because of the cuts.
    Making cuts to the lower class puts well out of living within any humane means, where as making cuts to the middle-upper class means that they're going to shop at some slightly 'worse' supermarkets and stop driving around fucking massive 4x4's.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  5. Falsey John, the Goldfish: Never Forgotten

Also why is this now a thread

6. It's not melodrama it's real life, when you rely on the state for your most basic of needs politics becomes a a big part of your life, as someone who's family relies on disablilty benefits the changed that have been made in the last 5 years have been a grave cause for concern, politics for us and other people in similar situations isn't just some "I like this I will vote for them" it's a "if I vote for them will I be given the support I need or thrown out by the waste side".

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-manchester-26377119 - Under a conservative government Atos found a woman in a coma "fit for work"

http://www.thestar.co.uk/news/assessors-ask-would-missing-arm-re-grow-1-5725719 - A disability benefits assessor asks if a man with no arm if his arm will grow back,

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/t...red-fit-to-work-by-atos-stat-is-simply-wrong/ - over 10,000 people have died after being found "fit for work"

http://www.theguardian.com/society/2014/mar/03/food-banks-public-health-benefits-panorama - Food poverty now a bigger issue than then unhealthy eating.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-27927842- An internal government memo says sickness benefits is failing

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-27927842 - The bedroom tax cutting the benefits of a man who has to use the spare bedroom for his dialysis machine.

This is the fear people actually live though, whether their income will be taken away, whether they will have to go to a food bank just to be able to eat. If calling out these injustices is melodrama them I'm the tooth fairy.

7. fuck the poor lol

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
    • List
  8. Falsey John, the Goldfish: Never Forgotten

I appreciate that you've got a more personal perspective into all this, but for the most part what you've linked are just abnormalities, due to unfortunate technicalities, that likely got resolved quickly once they got brought to light.

Show me policies and I'll listen. But you showing cases which, to be honest, are literally just strange, RARE abnormalities doesn't prove a thing.

9. Please feel free to comment on my post whenever, I'm looking to your argument for what i've put forward.

10. man up Casey

11. Some are yes, but 10,000 people being found fit to work then dying isn't an abnormality.

12. Queenie Don't tell me what to do!!!

As somebody who works in politics every day for the last 8 years I can tell you that no matter what is chosen, a group (or multiple groups) will not be happy. Every party has it's good sides and it's bad sides. There will ALWAYS be unique situations that can be used to discredit the other.

13. nlspeed Rex Omnium Imperarum

There is, however, a difference of severity between 'a thousand elderly people can't even go to the toilet because of lacking elderly care; there's nobody to help them' and 'a thousand people are abusing welfare and benefits they have no right they, collectively gaining millions of currency from the state', to name two random examples (the former would be left-wing, the latter right-wing, as far as such a spectrum applies).

Random sidenote; I'd probably vote VVD / D66 here (when I was younger the former, since a year or four the latter). That's to the right, but again, 'left' and 'right' are rather meaningless.

14. Kiethy Fluffy..

As someone quite young and not able to vote, i think that even if i had the option to vote, i'd have no idea who to vote for really. I think most or even all parties dont exactly get there point across to my age group and that will end up biting them all in the ass as we'll be able to vote for the next general election.

15. Queenie Don't tell me what to do!!!

D66 is in between Speed. :)

16. nlspeed Rex Omnium Imperarum

Yeah, but VVD isn't. Hence 'to the right', as in, 'centre-right / right / not left'. :P

17. Falsey John, the Goldfish: Never Forgotten

I don't know what you expect me to say, I'm not here to defend the Tories. I'll defend why I voted for them, and have done so, but yeah; I've even said they're not my ideal party.

I voted Tory this election. I don't support the party, however. Were the Lib Dems not a shamble at the moment, I would have voted for them like I did in the European Election.

Like Queen pointed out, each of the parties have definite flaws. I made a personal decision, however, that a Tory government is the one I, personally, feel the most confident with at this time.

Also, the remark about me voting for Tory simply because my parents are middle class was a pretty shit and generalizing thing to say Luna. Just because I voted for something you disagree with doesn't make it cool for you to try and dismiss it with stereotyping and simplistic classicism.

18. cenpls Original Bhoomika Gupta

13 million people below the poverty line, 7 million of them are employed.

Tax breaks for millionaires and bedroom tax for the average joes.

Systematic destruction of the NHS

Ian Duncan Smith is pure, sadistic evil

Over 900,000 people using food banks

Multi-million pound corporations avoiding taxes but let's go after the people that need benefits and sanction them over nothing and claim that benefit fraud is Britain's biggest problem.

The Tories are plain and simple for themselves and their rich mates, and the next 5 years are going to be even worse than the last 5 now there's no lib dem voice holding them back.

Edit: Christ alive it's started already. http://www.reddit.com/r/unitedkingd...resa_may_just_said_that_the_tories_will_give/

Last edited: 8 May 2015
  19. Mr.Bam Praise the sun!

Debating about politics is a bad idea.
    If there was one truly benevolent party then democracy wouldn't exist since everyone would vote for that party. You can't please everyone and people will not appreciate if you vote against their needs.
    And don't forget that politicians will fuck up regardless of what people vote for.

20. Gaw discord is my friend now

I will be awarding an icon to the winner of this debate

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)