UK General Election Thread

Discussion in 'Random' started by Falsey, 8 May 2015.

1. nlspeed Rex Omnium Imperarum

Per Mr.Bam's post, the only winning move is not to play. I didn't vote, so I fully expect a fancy icon to be awarded to myself. I'll even be willing to go one step further and establish a dictatorship with me at its helm!

2. Queenie Don't tell me what to do!!!

There is never an actual winner or loser.

People can discuss for years about pro's and cons of a certain bill, right etc and they will always find ways to try and convince others. The fact of the matter is there is no perfect system.

Sharing information (aka discissing them) is not bad, but it can pretty much go on for years.

3. There's ALWAYS a winner and a loser. Sometimes the losers of one side have more to lose than the possible losers of another.

That's what politics is all about, voting in the party that you believe will do what you want them to do, and on the opposite end of the spectrum is the people who don't want them in power.

Like i've said (whether it be agreed on or not), removing the benefits of the lower class who rely on them to live hand to mouth every week is going to have a HELL of a lot more of an impact than combating the rich and wealthy's tax evasion, which means they can't go out for 5* dinners every night or take numerous holidays every year.

This isn't me circlejerking the "fuck the rich, down with elite", it's a simple statement of "stop shitting on the working class by taking away what little they have, whilst big companies, CEOs & celebs can get away with tax evasion which they are obliged to contribute".

4. Queenie Don't tell me what to do!!!

If your party wins you feel the winner. The others do not. Vice versa as well. It depends on which side you are on.

Because all rich people go out for 5* dinners every night?

Not all rich people are evading taxes, spending ridiculous amounts of money. I agree that everybody should pay their taxes, rich and poor. I however to not think the rich should pay more because some have less. Some people have worked their asses off to earn their money and be "rich" even if not intended.

Not sure how it is in England but here in Holland they would like to see the rich pay more taxes for child support for people who are poor. I find this ridiculous. If you can not support a child, do not have them.

Also there are many rich people who donate millions. The guy from Facebook, apple and Microsoft have all donated so much.

Yes there are really people out there who have little to nothing and are unable to care for themselves, but there are also just as much people who abuse the system. There is no perfect system to give the actual needy what the need and weed out the shits who don't really deserve it.

Last edited: 9 May 2015

5. I never said all rich people evaded tax, I gave examples of certain entities which do.
    I also only used an example of how cuts could impact the poor vs impacting the rich, I didn't say all richer people were the same. However, I do know someone who does go out for 5* dinners every night so I wasn't pulling this idea out of thin air.

Edit: Tax evasion is estimated to cost the UK £88.3bn in 2015-2016. Maybe some money should be invested in tackling this, instead of selling of profitable UK public companies such as Royal Mail etc.

6. Queenie Don't tell me what to do!!!

Ehh I didn't mean to say it was made up :)

But if people worked really hard to earn the money to spend going out every night, is that not up to them? In general I mean and not specifically your friend.

7. Oh sorry, of course everyone has the right to do whatever they want with their money. I just meant that it seems completely outrageous to try save money by damaging the infrastructure (the working class) that holds up the country meaning they have to go to foodbanks etc, instead of combating tax evasion to claim what is rightfully public spending money - which if the people dodging tax actually paid it would probably just result in living a less luxurious lifestyle.

I wasn't trying to say that the government should hit at the richer instead of the poorer, I just meant hit at the people who are dodging paying their tax which just as it happens is mostly the upper class / richers

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • List
  8. cenpls Original Bhoomika Gupta

It's not just about money either. The Tories want to take away human rights and civil liberties. They want to scrap the human rights act so they can do whatever they want to you and you have to lay there and take it.

This winner and loser stuff is irrelevant, fact is Cameron and his cronies are Thatcherites and that is quite possibly the last thing this country needs with lots of places still devastated from the damage she did in the 80s.

9. Falsey John, the Goldfish: Never Forgotten

But that's wrong. When you voted the other day, you voted essentially to endorse the manifestos of whatever party you voted for. Politics is all about voting for the Party whose aims and ideals you condone.

That a real subjective opinion. I consider myself to the left, and still think it's wrong to tax the rich far more simply because they've had success and made money; not everyone is old money, my dad spent his early life in a Peckham council estate. doing odd jobs before he, without a formal education, started his own business in his thirties and made it work, through sheer effort. Personally, I find the idea that he should now be taxed more simply for having made a success of himself disgusting.

Do you really think the Tories have an agenda of letting big companies get away with tax evasion? The reason tax evasion is a problem is because these companies have people who hire amazingly intelligent professionals who specialize in tax avoidance, not because the government turns a blind eye; there's plenty of people who get caught out due to agencies dedicated to investigating TE.

But hopefully in a few years, we won't be having this discussion because the Lib Dems have stopped self-harming :^)

10. cenpls Original Bhoomika Gupta

The fact that we're one of the few major countries not investigating HSBC for criminal activity says enough for me about their attitude towards big corporations and banks.

And the 'rich people shouldn't get taxed more because they earnt it' is a bit shallow too. You should be taxed proportionately to your earnings, which you are. But you're saying some guy with an extra bedroom should pay tax on that because he's not using it is more fair that an elevated tax on mansions? Millionaire tax breaks and complete apathy to tax evasion are Tory specialties.

11. Sim Burner of props and hunter of hunters

Y'all fuckers need the SNP

:^)

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  12. So for example, Person A votes A Party to save their benefits & Person B votes B Party so that they don't pay 3-5% more in tax on their income after Personal Allowance.
    B Party wins and A Party loses.

Person A loses the benefits. Surely you can see the loser in this situation?

Of course there is ALWAYS a winner and a loser. Party A had manifestos that Person A wanted them to put in to place, and vice versa for the B so in essence "voting in the party that you believe will do what you want them to do"

13. The MC Official GM PropHunt Manager

this thread gave me cancer

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Wizard Wizard x 1
    • List
  14. GJ you got it now whilst the NHS is still relatively functioning.

15. is incest legal yet

edit: I'm asking for a friend

edit 2: he's from the netherlands

edit 3: he's a friend from the netherlands

edit 4: I'm asking for nlspeed

edit 5: I'm asking if incest is legal for nlspeed

edit 6: because netherlands

edit 7: he's a friend from the netherlands

• Funny x 7
    • Friendly x 2
    • Like x 1
    • Agree x 1
    • Informative x 1
    • List
  16. nlspeed Rex Omnium Imperarum

Hello friend. Thank you for asking.

EDIT: Your edits undermine my post. :(

17. mc voted conservative because he's the devil

18. The MC Official GM PropHunt Manager

I will smite the poor, we have the bravery to bring back slavery

• Wizard Wizard x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  19. Akiba Terminus Ut Exordium

WARNING - this is going to be a massive text wall because i'm lazy and I'm too tired for good grammar right now

I've been reading through this thread and it seems like a lot of people haven't grasped the idea of the political system, don't vote for who ever has the manifesto that suits you or the country best, vote for the party that has the ideals you want to see moving forward, if you want to support business vote for right leaning parties if you want better conditions for the lower classes vote for parties that lean left, now this might seem stupid at first but there's a lot of shit that parties don't put on a manifesto, their manifesto is pretty much a bargaining chip for votes so don't buy into that shit.

Now onto why voting for the tories as a young person(unless you're from a rich background and don't give a fuck about other people) is fucking stupid(in my opinion of course) at a base level the conservatives favour business and support the idea of a 'trickle down' economy the problem with this is businesses don't give a shit about workers they give a shit about numbers so they're gonna exploit whatever they can to get the best numbers for example stupid 0 hour contracts that are impossible to live on. A serious problem with the conservatives and their voters is they lack an idea of solidarity they believe in the capitalist ideal of it's dog eat dog which is why they want to privatize the NHS and do whatever they can to get rid of benefits, these are things which help the most vulnerable people in society and getting rid of them helps only the privileged(check yo privilege) because they have the money to support themselves and their descendants they don't need the governments support, the serious problem with this is someone who's born into a poor background has no fucking chance because the tories who favour the rich want to build as high as wall to protect their wealth.

Onto other points the demonization of the lower classes by the media is fucking real and the worst part about it is they can't do anything about it, it's quite literally picking on the most vulnerable people in society, and if you look at history that only ends badly what really needs to be done is the government needs to invest in them and give them hope, but right now there's none of that, people get away with not only looking the other way but vilifying them, this move to american values will end up with a country that mimics america to a tee, right down to the bloated beast of a jail system, if someone can't afford to support themselves they're going to resort to crime, if you look at any ultra capitalist system(which the tories support) then you'll see that the first people to get a pay rise are the judges and the police, why? to make sure that any civil unrest is crushed in it's infancy.

It really all comes down to would you rather support the groups that want everyone to have a chance in life or the groups that would rather your heritage dictate whether you end up in a large house or begging on the street, because that's what a capitalist dog eat dog world with monetary barriers at every stage will lead to and the worst part is most people are too dumb to see it.

Hell, people didn't even see the irony of David Cameron being elected the day before VE day, the guy wants to destroy the NHS something which was formed to help the people after the war and he has the balls to show up acting like he gives a shit about what those people went through

Now obviously I lean left on the political spectrum but that's because I don't want to live in a world where people disregard another persons life just because it's convenient, I wish that Labour for example had used the same scare tactics and confusion bullshit the tories did in this campaign they would have got a ton more votes with an ad that was something like this: This is jim he's 5 years old and needs a heart transplant, but he's too poor, sorry jim you can't afford it and the nhs doesn't exist anymore, go fuck yourself jim.

Because at the core of it if you voted tory you voted for that kind of world.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  20. nlspeed Rex Omnium Imperarum

And before we turn this into a 'rich versus poor', I would note that benefits, healthcare, and so forth, improve the country's economical situation as a whole and thus also benefits the rich. Why? Simply because you have more productive citizens, capable of living, participating in the economy, and so on.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)