Upcoming move to Fedora

Discussion in 'Server/Website Chat' started by Dark, 19 Dec 2009.

?

Windows or Linux?

1. Windows Server 2008 R2 (license covered)

61.5%
  2. Fedora 12 (or CentOS perhaps)

38.5%
  1. Upcoming move to Fedora

I'm gradually beginning to hate Windows 2003 more and more, so we've decided to cut our losses and get the dedi re-imaged with Fedora Linux x64.

While this will make administration harder, it will also make everything (SRCDS especially) considerably faster.

With a bit of luck we will be able to keep the downtime to off-peak hours and have it ready before the end of the free weekend :)

And I'm convinced there was always something very wrong with our installation of Windows 2003, so on linux we should finally be able to achieve the ~300 lag free slots our dedi is supposed to be capable of.

Also we only had CentOS and Fedora to pick from (the only officially supported distros by Dell that KC offer), and CentOS is made by faggots obsessed with stability so... yeah.

2. Spykodemon Disabled account

Fedora is great, good choice :D

3. Win! :3

4. Reag My name is an anagram for a reason

Be fun to see where this goes.

5. As long as it can host a gmod server ill be happy.

6. so the match tonight (20th) should be able to play

7. Gaw discord is my friend now

uhh actually gmod servers only run on windows, if anything we would only be able to run it NOW. :S

8. Also we could always just install Windows 2008 R2, since we're used to Windows and I've read in several places that the Windows SRCDS performs better, despite being less stable and lacking an autoupdater.

9. Spykodemon Disabled account

Uh, you can run it under Linux with WINE. Although it isn't that great.

But it should be able to create a decent server, so it's fine. :P

Running a Windows VM on Linux kind of defeats the purpose, doesn't it?

10. CentOS is the greatest linux distro ever. Advanced and certainly not for beginners. I doubt it's been created by faggots.

11. Spykodemon Disabled account

Alot of the repos are out of date by years, and it's slightly unstable due to the constant [and untested] updates.

And only Fedora and CentOS are allowed, so Fedora would be best in this situation. :cool:

Apart from that, CentOS is one of the greatest distros for sure. :)

12. We've decided that the best plan is to beg KC for a nice new Dell PowerEdge R210 server (Xeon equivalent of i7 860, DDR3 memory) to replace our current dedi (doubt they'd give us 2 :P), and go with Windows Server 2008 R2. Linux simply isn't worth the bother of learning it, securing it, writing new server admin tools for it, etc.

13. Gaw discord is my friend now

good move.

14. Added a poll because I really don't know which one to go for. Each one has pretty much equal pros and cons.

Linux: More work to run but generally faster.
    Windows: Easier to administer but bottlenecks nginx, and srcds might run better on linux.

15. Gaw discord is my friend now

Just do windows jeez

16. [​IMG]

Score 1 for linux.

17. Mr.HeLL O_O

CentOS !

18. Spykodemon Disabled account

...Just switch to Linux, if it's that much of a pain in the ass that you thought it would be then switch back.

I just love the fact that every aspect of it, right down to the hyperthreading rates is customizable, hence the reason it's so efficient.

Also Linux experience (especially Server stuff) goes VERY well on a CV for a job that requires technical knowledge, it certainly makes you look smart. :P

19. Uhmm. Don't really want to say this but...

I agree with Spyko :geno:

But if you can get Windows Server 2008 go for it. TCP/IP stack has been greatly improved in 2008 version. And in general it's a great server OS.

20. Geit Coding wizard!

Going to point out: A move to Fedora will result in alot of downtime (A couple of days or more) while we transition and get everything working. Windows 2008 would take an hour or so.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)

Users found this page by searching for:

1. poweredge r210 srcds