What is going on, is GM about to die.....?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Danny, 8 Apr 2009.

1. What the fuck is going on, is GM about to die.....?

Being a member of your gaming community, I'd like to know WTF is going on, from what I have heard/read (meaning Spyko's formal apology post, the message that was in place earlier), the server downtime, database crashes ect... there is something obviously wrong with the hierarchy within GM, which needs to be addressed as soon as possible, as if this keeps up, you pretty much won't have a community at all.

Now I have experience in running a gaming community website/forums, clan/guild and servers and so on..., and in my experience you have the following problems;

• You have too many server/forum admins. (this is the biggest danger to your community)
    • You have policies, bylaws in place, but they seem to be redundant, so action is taken when these are broken.
    • Your admins, have too much power, access to the Dedicated server box for instance.

Now I'm sure that 90% of this community will agree that, the way its been ran this week, has been laughable.

For instance, Spyko and Geitiegg setting up a forum rank class called "Tech Team", now I don't know if Dark or Core asked you to so this but I find it a it pointless, why do you need a rank class on a gaming community forum boards, if your the most technical minded users in GM, then great but you don't need a rank for it, also again with Spyko, just because your having a bad day i.e. bank charges and then you find yourself getting angry about a users post, you don't need to act the way you did, replacing the forums the way you did (I can't remember now) and changing users passwords.
    The one that for me is unforgivable is removing the forum access, with that message earlier, I don't know who's action this was, but for me to make such a drastic move is fucking unbelievable, all GM members should have voted on such an action!
    If this was my community, and whoever did what you did, then you would have been stripped of all admin rights and a vote would have taken place to see if further action was required, but this is not my community and so I leave it up to whoever is running the show.

I find it coincidental that since Dark has been away, so much shit happened, ever heard the saying "When the cats away, the mouse will play" well this IMO is whats happened here.

Please note that, I don't know all the ins and outs of whats been going on and this is simply my opinion on the matters, if I am in anyway incorrect on anything please correct me, I also don't mean to sound like a bully or a dick head, but I love Team Fortress 2 and this was an awesome TF2 community, to which I liked being part of.

But IMO you have too many people with to much power, when the main dude is away no one person(s) should have the power to close the forums or site, but this is just my opinion.

Is GM about to die.....?

2. Re: What the fuck is going on, is GM about to die.....?

I am sure this case will be discussed clan and leader internal. Give us some time to talk about what is going on mate please.

Btw, core is not here anymore, and if he would be, this shit wouldn´t go this way.

Thanks for your input.

3. Spykodemon Disabled account

Re: What the fuck is going on, is GM about to die.....?

No it isn't about to die...It's just became apparent how much GM was starting to go downhill (Again)

If you think you can do a great job on the technical side, PM me on friday.

I have been within GM since the day it started, and I am not going to let something ruin it, it's gotten so far...It seems I have had to abuse my powers just to get my point along.

And you clearly didn't read the page I put up, the whole bank thing and moving the forum incident was a joke, So I could see which members are most likely to react to such an incident.

4. Re: What the fuck is going on, is GM about to die.....?

Spyko you must think we are stupid.. You are making a story up.. you did share geits password with randoms and shit.. so realy m8.. you cant get out of this without being blamed.

5. Spykodemon Disabled account

No changing geits password is a different story...and I only shared it with bun.

6. Re: What the fuck is going on, is GM about to die.....?

No its in the same period of rage

7. Re: What the fuck is going on, is GM about to die.....?

I mean that is not an act of admin, for me this would result in complete removal of all admin rights.
    Sorry dude I don't mean to single you out or anything but this is not acceptable and I am not even a GM Member.

8. Geit Coding wizard!

I agree with this, the hierarchy is messed up, but there has been a downtime of 0 hours this week, the database crashed once, etc etc. Honestly, about 15% of our regulars use these forums, so we will never lose all our community from a website problem.

This has got to be the most full-of-fail post I've read in recent weeks, we have none of the problems you listed, so don't assume.

• You have too many server/forum admins. (this is the biggest danger to your community) - Absolute bullshit, we have 22 admins on the servers, 8 Forum admins. Most of our admins make a total of 0 actions a month, and those that do make actions are all reported on. (Some communities have 100+ admins for the same amount of servers we have.)

• You have policies, bylaws in place, but they seem to be redundant, so action is taken when these are broken. (Ok, yeah this is true, but the bylaws are total bullshit.)
    • Your admins, have too much power, access to the Dedicated server box for instance. - You don't know much, do you? 3 admins have access to the dedi, we only use it to fix problems, little more.

Right, first off, I didn't make the group, I'm just part of it, making a forum group does NOONE any harm. Dark even gave permission for this(I think). What spyko did was out of order I agree, but he did make ammends.

Oh do shut-up already, did the page that was in it's place look like it would have ever passed a clan vote, it had been in the works for weeks among a group of members, to get a valid point across to the leadership. Regardless of the fact, the clan would never get that much say in anything under the current regime.

It's not, so sincerely GTFO.

Coincidental, tension has been building for weeks, an action like this would have happened regardless.

You sound like your trying to be a dick head even more with this paragraph, imo.

WRONG, on many different levels.

Did you even read the replacement page? I do wonder why people ask questions that have been answered.
    GM is about to undergo changes.

9. Re: What the fuck is going on, is GM about to die.....?

Thank you for the post Danny.

So Spyko, maybe you can answer these questions for us:

1) How is GM going 'downhill', how has this become apparent and who besides you supports this?
    2) What 'something' is going to 'ruin' GM, how has this become apparent and who besides you is of this view?

I would like as many people as possible to contribute to this thread - tell us, do YOU think GM is going downhill? Please keep replies civilised and on-topic :)

10. Re: What the fuck is going on, is GM about to die.....?

Geit you fail at replying to his topic.. no one wanna read his topic two times, to be able to read your answer

11. Re: What the fuck is going on, is GM about to die.....?

GM isn't/wasn't dieing untill all this stuff about spyko started, yes spyko made mistakes but some people are making a huge deal about it which is affecting spyko and making things worse, it's not just one persons fault but it needs to be sorted what ever is going on.

12. Geit Coding wizard!

It doesn't take a genius to skip the quote boxes, now, does it? Idiot. It makes it clear to what part I am referencing.

13. Fromage "The Cheese"

I think its going downhill a lot lately. Downtimes, lots of trash talking etc. By just reading geits reply above i can just state:

Even if you're smart, young and can admin a big forum it isn't enough if you use a bad language to others, no matter what they say. You should NEVER go down to their level, period. Admins are like school teachers, they should teach the users/kids and don't behave like one themself.

That previous new "index"-page with white/red text on a black backdrop just felt... out of order. If you don't start to cut the powers this will fall even more sooner or later... A good example of a good community is the GTFO-servers I think. Long time ago since I played there but from what I can remember they're really good.

Erik

14. Re: What the fuck is going on, is GM about to die.....?

Well Geitiegg, without mentioning any names, I've had about 10+ people through steam say awesome post m8, someone even said this "Awesome Dannyk, glad someone had the balls to write such a post, I was afraid to write something like that, as I thought I may have got banned" so if I am talking out of my ass, why would certain members of GM being reply to me saying such comments.

Yeah and them communities work, under this regime, it clearly doesn't work!

Well, it hasn't worked m8, or there would be none of this, for instance earlier (no names) an admin slapped himself and another one of your admins told him to stop, and guess what he didn't, he did it at least several more times,fucking laughable really m8!

15. Re: What the fuck is going on, is GM about to die.....?

Fucking SPOT ON...

16. Spykodemon Disabled account

1) When core first told me about GM, he told me that it's a fun clan. It now seems that you have to be somewhat competitive or 'pro' to be in GM, A majority of the community members play on Dustbowl and it's hard to get that kind of KpD, even when you know what you are doing. (Hence the need for the rotation server, but that is full of active and good players too, well mainly.)

Also seems like most of the leaders are competitive (excluding disco and dark). The warning system isn't working very well either, people troll other members as they please, and don't get warned for it (KJ for example), I think that this is an act of favouritism and shouldn't be tolerated, no matter who you like/dislike. If you dislike your friend because you gave them a warning then they are utterly stupid and don't deserve any friends. These are probably the 2 obvious ones I could think of...

2) Like I said above, Competitive players don't mix well with fun players, GM is supposed to be a fun clan and having competitive leaders dictating fun members won't work.

Would be good to find a way to keep the competitive players and fun players seperate, although I am both.

It became apparent to me after some thinking, When I thought about GM to this date, I realised how the 2 don't mix.

Have to agree with this, and what Apex said.

17. Geit Coding wizard!

Sometimes it requires stooping to other people's level to get a point across, I know a fair few of my teachers would have no problems with it.

It was out of order, that was the point, most of the occurrences this week have been engineered to get a point across.

The "Big-Changes" are the first step in achieving a more desirable community for everyone, we are aiming for a GTFO-esque community.

18. Spykodemon Disabled account

What Geit said, things HAVE to be done to get a point across if it means abusing admin. It is hard to get your point across if you are not in the clan for some reason...

19. Spykodemon Disabled account

Just saying:

I do NOT have admin on ANY of the servers

I only have RDP access for website stuff, the dedi isn't owned by GM, it's owned by Dark and anything and everything has to go through him, the most you could do is persuade him. I only go on the RDP for website-related stuff, and do go on there to fix stuff related to the GM servers if nessecary.

20. Re: What the fuck is going on, is GM about to die.....?

Flame Inc.

ARE YOU REALY FUCKING RETARDED?
    WE DO KNOW THAT THIS WAS NOT PLANED.. You are trying to pull this off so you wont get banned.

And when you think, you as a little kid with the title Tech Team, are able to be Head Admins, you are realy realy stupid.. And you will face people leaving, or you being banned.. People in here, respect the leaders.. and not you.. no one wants to be leaded by you OR geit.

If i get banned, why should i care.. If its like this i couldnt care less... The things i flame is usefull.. i dont sit in the member apps.. and flame them for being bad ( if they are ).

[ IN CINAMA, TO WATCH 2FAST2FURIOUS ]

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)