A new PC (and monitor)

Discussion in 'Hardware and Software' started by nlspeed, 29 Dec 2014.

1. nlspeed Rex Omnium Imperarum

MAYBE I will get all of my salary earned during my internship doubled in January. Which would mean I'd receive a bonus of 1250 Euros; 250*5.

IF (yes, capitals and italics are necessary; they're part of an arcane ritual to summon luck) that happens, I would like to buy a new PC. And, probably, a monitor, as I currently have a Dell E177FP.

Ideally, I would spend about 800 Euros on this new PC - but, I have no idea what a realistic price would be, and theoretically I would have 1250 Euros at my disposal. Possibly 1500 even, counting January's non-doubled salary.

But, what would I buy? I have completely no idea at all. I just want to be able to play games such as Skyrim, Far Cry 3, Far Cry 4, Planetary Annihilation... And anything that will be released in, say, four years time? Is that a realistic time scale? I don't care about ultra high super duper graphics with 64x Anti-Aliasing, I just want to be able to play games - and to play games in the future, I figure I'll need to have a PC that is currently rather good and modern / new.

So, I'd say something like 'I want a top of the line PC', but I'm not looking to spend thousands of Euros just to be able to play games on ultra settings. Simply being able to play them (now, and in the future) is enough.

Also, any advice for a monitor?

I know the above is rather confusing and vague. But I have faith in you, oh mighty people of GM!

2. -M-m- herpderp

Can't get much better pc then a gtx 970 and a I5 you can oc when it comes to bang for your buck atm.

8 GB ram is enough for the comming year im guessing but might be needing more in the future, but settling on the 8 gb is not a bad thing now at least.

630w modular psu is a nice thing to have, easier to install with less cables to shove away along with it being a pretty decent quality so it should easily last 5 - 12 years before its starting to show any problems plenty of room for overclocking even if you decide to go for oc records on the gpu with liquid nitrogen or helium :P

A new harddrive is always a good choice when building new since old stuff might fail when you least expect it especially oem components or harddrives that are often made with a certain budget to just last x amount of years before its supposed to be replaced with their next product they have now for profit.

Ips monitor ?
    All of my DOSH on that choice, Its so nice to have a monitor you can use with the sun blaring into the room during the summers without having to bother much about it other then the heat, (not a single lcd or led panel in the world likes 45+ temperatures :P)
    and even if the sun is shining right at the screen you can still see things clearly on the screen.
    its a bit blinding during the mornings unless you turn the brightness down in the monitor settings if you are used to how dark other monitors are but you'll get used too it after a while.

SSD is a must on a new computer these days to have it feel responsive and do simple things without waiting more then on the webpage or connection to the server to establish completely.
    When i usually play tf2 on my 4g connection running on a cheap corsair gs 120 gb its just 5 to 15 seconds when the server switches the map and im in before everyone else usually.
    and rebooting is the same along with any program like scanning for viruses and can still at the same time run the web browser without getting a sudden *browser not responding do you want to close it*

Chassis you usually can just go with having at least places for at least 3x 120mm fans or 140mm fans and that the chassis supports the size of that motherboard ,graphics card length and that powersupply size.
    the rest is just budget and looks along with other features.

Its worth it spending the tiny bit extra for proper dampening on the harddrives and maybe some dampening material on the chassis side rather then a extra side fan and clear chassis side.

3. nlspeed Rex Omnium Imperarum

Sidenote: You cannot possibly ever begin to imagine how annoying the sun, reflecting on a roof outside, reflecting on the floor here, reflecting through my glasses, reflecting on my monitor is. I felt a huge feeling of 'YES YES YES' upon reading that part of your post, -M-m-. :P

Thank you both for your replies, of course!

4. Mr.Bam Praise the sun!

Isn't actually going to a store the best way to get a good monitor? You can compare them in real life you know, see what is good quality for a decent amount of money.

5. -M-m- herpderp

Partially true but like TV displays in stores they sometimes have the showpiece settings to just overdo the colors and contrast or similar too appeal to the end user so they buy it and now notice in a bit more natural light that its kinda overdoing it and starts to mess about with it eventually ending up with something that was worse then they first looked at.

Id suggest that he looks around on reviews as well on screens that he finds there in that case.

6. nlspeed Rex Omnium Imperarum

By the way, why an i5? i7 apparently only costs 80 or so Euros more (which is reasonable, I suppose), and considering I want to use this PC a good few years into the future...?

7. The equivalent i7 to the cpu I linked is this www.ebuyer.com/645546-intel-core-i7-4790k-4ghz-socket-1150-8mb-l3-cache-retail-boxed-bx80646i74790k?utm_source=google&utm_medium=products&gclid=CIym0P3S7cICFQvKtAodzmwAFw

The difference between that and the i5 is hyper threading which is baisicly virtual cores, the problem is most things can't make use of those cores because they have to be specifically programmed to do so and the cpu just isn't as important as a gpu when it comes to games. If the parts were too much in euros the first things I would tell you to change would be a cheaper motherboard and cpu or case depending your choice of case.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • List
  8. Dan Chief Detective at GM Police HQ - Jagex #1 Fan!

Make sure to spend all of your money on case mods, especially LEDs.

The number of LEDs in your case is directly proportional to the fps you'll get on CoD: AW.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)