ATI 5850 HD

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by t3rribl3on3, 27 Oct 2009.

1. Obaruler German Rager/Spamer

Re: ATI 5850 HD

/signed (omg, i agree to a Poxie post >_>)

2. Gaw discord is my friend now

just discovered that's the speed when I exit it... It more realisticly runs at about 72-73c...

I'm certain it will asplode soon.. I mean 72c? Unless the thing is glitched, A card can't run at 72c+ :|

Although it just proves what a strain the games I play put on it.. It's only about 35-45c when I aint playing..

I get about 80fps on tf2 on high combat situations (dustbowl spamfest) and higher when not..

But now in L4D, I'm getting 30fps tops and when I try to pounce someone I lag REALLY bad, it's about 5fps.

So, I need to upgrade my graphics card. But oh shi- I have a 300w PSU. Yeah.

:cry:

3. Re: ATI 5850 HD

I've read a graphics card will run safely up to 100C, but won't last long if it's constantly over 80C, or something like that.

4. Gaw discord is my friend now

idc.. I can't live with 30fps on L4D and presumably less on L4D2, so I need to upgrade, but that just means upgrading my PSU aswell :sigh:

5. Re: ATI 5850 HD

Blue lives with 20 FPS on L4D, 25ish on L4D2 and 5 FPS in TF2.

Still seems a bit low for a P4 3.0 GHz and an AGP HD2600 :/

6. Gaw discord is my friend now

Yes, but he's blu da ba dee da ba die...

7. Obaruler German Rager/Spamer

Well, a hundred degrees celsius are still OK for most GPUs, had a 7800GTX once that was used to be over 100C somehow .... donno. In any case: GeForces are forced to be clocked down/stop working at 115C to protect the Hardware, with the named 7800 i broke through that line several times in a former summer, and the card is still running (but now sleeping in its package in my basement geek collection) ;)

8. Knud Phat beats only

@ Gaw, don't worry, that temp is still fine. My 8800GTX runs around 82c and that is with 85% fan speed. As long as it stays <85-90c, you are fine, really. If not, I'll get you a new one ;)

@ Oba, you seem to know alot, but dont trust PCGH on everything they write ;)

Even nvidia partners don't have all the details of the new cards. (Let's say I have good sources there)

As for encoding stuff: A GPU is just a "dumb" chip that is good in doing simple tasks, fast, really fast. But a CPU is more complex, perhaps slower, but is capable of doing everything, even video.

9. Re: ATI 5850 HD

My GeForce 9800M GT is averaging around 110C when playing anything.. :/

10. Obaruler German Rager/Spamer

This is nothing from PCGH.de, these guys would allready have a card if they start posting anything official as news (these bastards, they have a Core i9 Engineering Sample for more than a month now, they shall give it to ME =) ), plus, PCGH/Computerbase are pretty trustworthy magazines, their hardware tests in the Print editions are the best on the (german) Nerd-market imo, i have great trust in their testing accuracy, my choices about which new hardware to buy are kinda dependent to a good note by them, since they never let me down. ^^

11. Gaw discord is my friend now

Any recommendations for a replacement for my GeForce 9500gs?

Then again, I'll probably need a new PSU aswell.. So even a 450w.. maybe 500w psu aswell? It's at 300w atm, with a phenom x3 8500, geforce 9500gs, 3GB ram.

12. Knud Phat beats only

Depending on budget of course.
    Yes, change PSU to 500 watt :) Any A-brand (Corsair, OCZ, CM, BeQuiet, PC power and Cooling, zalman) are fine. (If you find another one, just post and we'll judge - ofc other brands can be fine too, but they use crappier/cheaper components, with a statistical higher change of failure)

For GFX card: Try to find some 5750 or 5770 cards. Those are the latest ATI cards, with DX11, affordable, low power consumption, but still pretty decent.

Review 5750:
    http://www.overclockersclub.com/reviews/xfx5750/
    l4d bench: http://www.overclockersclub.com/reviews/xfx5750/13.htm (91 FPS @1280x1024)

Review 5770:
    http://www.techspot.com/review/209-ati-radeon-hd-5770/
    l4d bench: http://www.techspot.com/review/209-ati-radeon-hd-5770/page7.html
    (93fps @1680x1050)

Btw, upgrade to 2x2 GB --> Dual channel --> faster --> more performance. :)

Good luck deciding!

13. Gaw discord is my friend now

The 5770 looks great, and I am (forget to mention) currently running at 1x 1680x1050 (but may buy a new monitor in time.. But that will likely be a while) so 93fps is a minimum 3x faster, which is excellent :D

Yeah, I'll probably just get some really good 2GB sticks, instead of overkilling to 8GB :P

Oh lawd, need to price this now :(

14. Obaruler German Rager/Spamer

8 GB isnt Overkill imo, ill upgrade from 6 to 12 this christmas, since the price of RAM was breaking through the basements ground this year. ^^

Btw: What is your limit at Gfx card costs ?! There are some big price drops incoming, caused by the fact that nVidia intends to "counter" AMD somehow + they wanna clear the storage racks because the G300 generation is incoming, so within Nov/Dec nVidia will start a pricing battle (< 200€ GTX285es are rumoured xD)

Dont ask me, how i can know this stuff, im havin ma sources, geek irc channels ;)

Offtopic: A Nerd Friend of mine finished his new gaming rig, wanted to show you as well <3 :

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

(New Keyboard and a selfmade Plexiglas/black brushed aluminum side door are still missing in the pics :) )

Last edited by a moderator: 28 Dec 2016
  15. Gaw discord is my friend now

16. Knud Phat beats only

Website times out.
    Just get some 4 Gb dual channel kit from either OCZ, Corsair, Kingston or TeamExtreme.

For 200 euro, you can even consider some 5850 (If it is better available, plus better price). Of if you like nvidia better, GTX275, or wait till price drops of 285. But then, you will need another PSU as well (>650-700w)

17. Re: ATI 5850 HD

Might be because I stepped up from 1600x1200 to 1920x1200, or because of my CPU bottleneck (E6850 C2D 3.6GHz), but I didn't notice much difference going from 8800GTS to GTX275 :/

Well I did in Crysis, but that was pretty much it. No significant change in TF2, L4D, Killing Floor, Aion etc.

18. Knud Phat beats only

Yes, your CPU is heavily bottlenecking your GFX card right now.
    OC it further, or save up for i5/i7 system :)

19. Re: ATI 5850 HD

My NB chip overheats (mainfests as complete lockup without even a BSOD) for some reason (well, it feels hot and all the monitorable temps are low) if I overclock the CPU much further :/

It took an extra fan blutacked to it just to get it stable at 3.6 :<

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)

Users found this page by searching for:

1. 5850 100c

2. ati 5850 hd fps

3. 5850 1920x1200 l4d2