Community effort to make server #4 as popular as #3 Dustbowl

Discussion in 'Team Fortress 2' started by Th-, 20 Mar 2009.

1. Geit Coding wizard!

Re: Community effort to make server #4 as popular as #3 Dustbowl

Ok, now i'm confused, how the hell are you getting balloon race on the map list for #4. the only place you should see this is in the admin menu, which brings me onto this:
    YOU don't need to start votes through your menu(or change the map through it), let the server start it's own votes.

So here's a small rule: DO NOT change the map on a rotation server ( AT ALL, NO EXCEPTIONS.)(It's messes everything up.). If you do this you will recive a warning.

(Agree, Th?)

2. Fromage "The Cheese"

Well thats not true. There is only 1 map in that that has one point and thats the 3rd map i think, the rest has at least 3 entrances on every cap which makes it even to DB. I think its just that people begun to like DB and those maps early on thats why they're so popular. I think that people can enjoy hydro if there was more servers with it up...

I was playing the rotation today and I left after a while. Mainly because in the ½ hour i played it was 7vs7 and a spawn time of 20 secs which was kind of.. boring. And I didn't like the maps that was on today. Make it an DB/all PL maps/badlands and some more instead. Don't have so many maps in the cycle for a rotation server, people don't want to learn how to play too many maps thats why most people end up gaining skill on DB only.

Erik

3. Re: Community effort to make server #4 as popular as #3 Dustbowl

Just one question, why are there arena maps on the rotation server? isn't that what the arena server is for? Was on the rotation server earlier today but all the maps were arena and I hate arena_watchtower.... Its not going to stand much of a chance if people keep messing with the rotation.

4. Re: Community effort to make server #4 as popular as #3 Dustbowl

yea it seems the map list needs sorting out. and isn't it suppose to be match maps only?

oh btw arena_watchtower map my fav <3 :mrgreen:

5. Geit Coding wizard!

This is why we don't use our admin menus to change the map, it borks the server till we restart it.

6. Re: Community effort to make server #4 as popular as #3 Dustbowl

>> It was designed for it, and 24 players on a small map like arena_granary would be insta shit.

more fun than having 8v8 matches and have the other 8 ppl spec :\
    no one likes to spec and on the GM arena server now there's a 50% chance of going (and staying!!!) spec becaus eof teh stupid team limit

the arena server (SourceOp arena server) i play in is almost always filled and everyone is always having fun there because everyone plays more than sitting out
    and yes, nobody complains on Granary as well there, even with a 12v12 match

7. Re: Community effort to make server #4 as popular as #3 Dustbowl

killing ppl is a more fun way to see if they suck or not
    being forced to sit out sux

8. Re: Community effort to make server #4 as popular as #3 Dustbowl

could server 3 just be a "payload" server i.e just Goldrush/Badwater Basin?

9. Th-

No... server #3 will remain as a DB 24/7 in the foreseeable future, but we could have another pl_maps server with only a few of the most popular maps

pl_goldrush
    pl_badwater
    pl_frontier
    pl_hoodoo
    pl_waste
    pl_halfacre

etc.

10. Re: Community effort to make server #4 as popular as #3 Dustbowl

No... server #3 will remain as a DB 24/7 in the foreseeable future, but we could have another pl_maps server with only a few of the most popular maps

pl_goldrush
    pl_badwater
    pl_frontier
    pl_hoodoo
    pl_waste
    pl_halfacre

etc.[/quote:117bfpek]

make one

server #8/9.

how many servers we got btw :?

i miss the goldrush/badwater servers we had b4

forget what i said, we got a Payload Rotation server now ;)

11. Geit Coding wizard!

how many servers we got btw :?

[/quote:30bby3qa]

19 in the list , only 14~15 are actually running.

12. Re: Community effort to make server #4 as popular as #3 Dustbowl

:shock:

wow, I only got 6 plus the match server in my favs

13. Re: Community effort to make server #4 as popular as #3 Dustbowl

Sandman, he like Gravelpit. POW!

14. Re: Community effort to make server #4 as popular as #3 Dustbowl

/nod. Gravelpoot = GUUD TIMEZ! and pow

15. Re: Community effort to make server #4 as popular as #3 Dustbowl

+1 for Gravelly pits

-Wooo

16. Vacoy some sort of fucking fish

junction+gravelpit+goldrush+that jungly map = utter pwn

17. Re: Community effort to make server #4 as popular as #3 Dustbowl

My absolute favorite map is Granary, doesn't even matter which game mode 8-)
    And about every Arena map out there, because Arena rocks.

Anyway, I'll pop on when I see some people playing on the server. I don't feel like going on it all alone :(

18. Th-

I've made some notes about what kind of games are enjoyable and easily maintained when filling the rotations

• First, a capable medic on both teams of 3+ players will greatly increase the time players are willing to keep filling the server[/*:m:1rfpb5kc]
    • Second, a reasonable amount of strong offensive classes as the backbone of the team sets the correct tone for the server[/*:m:1rfpb5kc]
    • Third, balance of combat/support classes in the favor of combat (approx 1/2 or 1/3), though can be ignored if the relatively few combat classes are played by competent players[/*:m:1rfpb5kc]
    • Fourth, players thinking the team before thinking themselves, mainly by playing a class most needed at the time especially if the server only has a few players[/*:m:1rfpb5kc]
    • Fifth, ability to enjoy more maps than the 2-3 most popular ones[/*:m:1rfpb5kc]

How this relates to you: I suggest that everyone learns to enjoy the main classes (solly, demo, heavy, medic) and keep in mind which one would best serve the team. Once the medic + 1 to 3 classes -main force is established, new joining players can feel comfortable as either filling the missing support positions or complementing the assault force. Its the teamwork and flexibility of a team that make people stay on the server, based on my experiences during the last 10 days filling servers #4 and #5. Having experiences on all maps is basic knowledge to a TF2 gamer, especially if that gamer goes by the title of a "Gaming Master", so explore the game on all maps. Goes to you too, Obaruler. Nvm your kpd however awesome it is ^^

19. Re: Community effort to make server #4 as popular as #3 Dustbowl

ye Obaruler, come play on rotation server :P *100% activity on db :| *

anyway good notes th.

What I like about server 4, no crits <3 :mrgreen:

about server 5, not everyone has the payloads maps, some are big size like pl_hoodoo. I don't mind, I just wait, but the one time I waited 5 mins for a map to dl, I think it was the pl_frontier map. Also, if there 32 players dl'ing all at same time, will be even longer.

20. Re: Community effort to make server #4 as popular as #3 Dustbowl

I think one of the drawback is the amount of maps. How many are there? I dont't think I have manage to play them all yet so it's hard to find all paths.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)