Consider a new PC - need input

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Fromage, 16 Jul 2009.

1. Fromage "The Cheese"

Consider a new PC - need input

Hey fella's!

I'm thinking about buying a brand new PC since my old one just seems to break all the time (I'll use that as a backup PC if my eventually new one will break..)

I have a few requirements that "must" be there but otherwise feel free to improve my package. :)

[​IMG]

My requirements:

- It should work fine mainly for 3D work but gaming is needed too.
    - I want an Intel CPU (prefarely core i7 920)
    - It has to exist on www.inet.se since I will buy it pre-made (i put the parts together in the cart and they build it = extra warranty + im a newb :) )
    - 6 gb of ram
    - Pricing around... 12-13 000 swedish kronor (1140 euro or 975 pound)

The things I found hard in my package is the motherboard. It will be an asus or an gigabyte but I'm not sure which model to go for... I will probably not overclock it now but possibility to do so is always good if it cost slightly more.

Thanks in advance!

Erik

Last edited by a moderator: 28 Dec 2016
  2. Re: Consider a new PC - need input

that set up looks good, but you want to consider getting a higher psu(750/850w) ;)

3. Fromage "The Cheese"

Re: Consider a new PC - need input

Im not sure why though . browsed lots of tests and forums and people tend to buy more power than they actually need. I'm not running SLI or something so.. ;) 650 should be enough i think.

Erik

4. Re: Consider a new PC - need input

Btw "montering datorkit" seems like waste of money.. all the things you need to put it together are in the cabinet.. you only need a screwdriver

5. Fromage "The Cheese"

Fair enough, but I rather not. 800 SEK is really cheap and it gives another year of warranty, well worth it. Guess people prioritize differently. :)

Erik

6. Re: Consider a new PC - need input

Why an Intel CPU?
    The AMD PhenomII performs with a better "price/performance level"
    Therefore you could spend your money in a better graphics card, because CPU + Mainboard are cheaper.

Just as an info for you.
    As well as your shop is really really expensive with its hardware offer...
    you should think of other shops with better prices.

7. Fromage "The Cheese"

Sweden is expensive, the pricing are somewhat the same in any other store here, some things are cheaper, some are more expensive. The thing is I want to put it together but I don't want to build it (i know it might be easy but I rather pay for it..)

Why intel? I know intel will have so much better performance in Maya 2009/mudbox/zbrush/etc. than the AMD will so I rather stick to a 920 intel system than the AMD one. The amd one that I put together was like 3000 kronor cheaper but I don't think it's worth it when it comes to 3D animation. The latest AMDs seems to be compared to the core-quad systems so.. I don't know, the benchmark tests i've seen has been intel positive so... :)

Erik

8. Re: Consider a new PC - need input

As an example, Maya uses the graphics card for its use, so you can't compare an AMD to an Intel CPU.

The only thing is, why do people spend more money for "less" performance, when you spend for example 3000 kronor less, is the performance on the same level as the price is? I don't think so. An Intel Core7 940 is not really 10% faster than the AMD X4 955, but the Intel one is at least ~ 35% more expensive.

That was the question for me, is there really a need for an Intel CPU instead of an AMD one.
    The same with the Mainboards, you only have to pay more for the expensive Intel CPU, but the Board has no advantage against AMD compared ones.

------

And why Benchmarks are always so Intel-positive: thats why Intel got a penalty by the EU with 1,4 billion dollars. One word: corruption.

9. Fromage "The Cheese"

Well I haven't heard so much good things about AMD and Maya (not any bad either..) but I tried it with intel so... I haven't seen any place using AMD and maya so I think it's safer to go for Intel to be honest.

Corruption? I don't think so, they got it because they sell more Intel CPUs on pre-made PCs, same as MS got a fine for marketing their OS. I think EU is wrong when it comes to those situations really, intel always produced quality stuff and when people like it and sell it more than their opponents they get a big penalty for it.

I don't mind you beeing an AMD "fanboy" but the corrupted argument isn't very true since benchmarketing is done with programs and I doubt those big hardware sites lies about it, so I will stick to intel (see my requirements) but thanks anyhow. :)

Erik

10. Vacoy some sort of fucking fish

formage, may I suggest you go for the gygabite motherboard
    I had an asus mobo, it broke a week after I got it.
    got a new one, died 1 week afdter the waranty ended.
    Nw I got gygabite, koay its three times as expensive, but believe me. worth the money.

11. Fromage "The Cheese"

Actually thought about changing it to a gigabyte instead Vacoy, thanks :) Which one do you suggest? The UD4P or UD5? Can't tell the difference, the price differs around 200 SEK (not that much.)

Erik

12. Knud Phat beats only

That 650w psu is fine, if you are not going to do crazy overclocking :)

The Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5 has more Sata ports and seems to have a faster QPI speed on default. Those are the biggest differences.

Rest seems pretty balanced.
    Also, Core i7 has triple channel memory, which is faster than dual channel memory. Good for 3d work and other apps.

13. Fromage "The Cheese"

What's QPI speed? :)

I might do some minor overclocking so should I consider a 750 instead? Might push the 920 to 3.4ghz or so instead of 2.66 (seems fairly simple to clock that CPU) Would the gigabyte do if you do some overclocking like that?

Erik

14. Knud Phat beats only

Quick Path Interconnect

Uhm, well better save than sorry.. you could change to 700/750w. But that is really sufficient :)

And all X58 mobo's are designed for some (Minor and major) overclocking.
    Both Gigabyte ones are good for that anyways.

15. Re: Consider a new PC - need input

Get an Asus motherboard and graphics card - I've had great experiences with them.

- Stable RAID 0 hosting my boot partition for almost 2 years
    - 20% overclock on my 8800 GTS 640MB with the fan only at 90% :D

Although there are probably equally good motherboard manufacturers - the only one I've got to compare it with is ASRock :P (Epic fail)

16. Vacoy some sort of fucking fish

yea asrock is faaaaaaail.
    gigabyte owns asus mobo's tho
    @fromage, to be honest. I have no idea what you should take :D

17. Fromage "The Cheese"

Ugh. you guys aren't making it easy! :) It's a 50/50 going on here. Think it'll be the gigabyte UD4P one, seems good enough for me. And the rest will probably be as it is, that system will be ok, right? :)

Erik

18. Fromage "The Cheese"

[​IMG]

Ok ordered this, hopefully it'll be enough. Spent the whole week reading reviews.

Thanks for the input here even though I didn't listen a lot to you guys. ;)

Erik

Last edited by a moderator: 28 Dec 2016
  19. Re: Consider a new PC - need input

Sorry to be slow, but alot of the prices seems overpriced ( Ram, CPU, XFX, Motherboard).. i looked them up on a danish site ( Getmore.dk )?

Maybe you dont care, but ye.

20. Fromage "The Cheese"

Sweden has limited options if you want it pre-made PCs that you config (only 2-3 companies offers it.) Also Swedish VAT is like the highest one in the whole europe + our krona is super low to the USD/euro which means higher prices. I might save 100-300 kronor if I buy it at some other place and then I would have to build it myself.

I think the price is fair enough for Sweden... hehe. :dance:

Edit. Did you use the right currency rates? The CPU costed exactly the same as in sweden and the mobo was like 4% cheaper. I wouldn't call that a big difference?
    Edit2. Memory costed even more on the danish site.

Erik

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)