[Debate] Do violent games lead to violent behaviour?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Ray, 28 Feb 2009.

1. Ray

[Debate] Do violent games lead to violent behaviour?

I'd love to hear your views on this, discuss. :)

2. Re: [Debate] Do violent games lead to violent behaviour?

Definetly not. Violent behaviour has nothing to do with violent games.

3. Th-

Re: [Debate] Do violent games lead to violent behaviour?

There are certainly very detailed debates about this somewhere.

My opinion is that other things matter more than quality of games (upbringing, education, religion, character), but they can act as triggers both to act violently but also to release emotional tension.

4. Ash

Depends on the person.. if the person in question playing the video game is weak minded enough to not know going out and shooting someone in the face is ok because he done it in a game.. yes it can be a factor.. but if we banned everything for retards like that everything would be banned..

Personally I think everyone should have to take regular tests to check their state of mind just to be able to leave their own home.. but this my opinion lol..

To many idiots in this world xD

Me and my brother at a very early age were playing violent videogames including gta1 etc.. but are dad allowed us to do this because he knew he had brought us up to think for are selves and not become homocidal maniacs because of playing it.

5. Obaruler German Rager/Spamer

Well, in germany we have a huge debate about this topic ...... "Killerspiele" (murderer-games), this word says everything about "how this so called discussion" works ...

A bunch of retarded, conservative wrinklys of the conservative party CDU/CSU insists on a law that would perma-ban every violent video game from our country, even as an adult you shall not be allowed to buy them here .... allthough we allready have the maybee most restrictive protection of minors in the whole world -> Nearby every shooter or other violent video game comes out here in a censored version, with deleted gore and splatter effects, in the original launch-version of TF2, you havent seen body parts if you blowed up an enemy, you have seen all kinds of weird "trash", like a wheel, an elastic spring and such stuff ..... now for some reason, I am playing with the original blood effects, but the censorship here just sux ... and some of our dear politicians think, that this still isnt enough.

Violent video games were "of course" the only reason for some rampages in german schools, so - because the youth needs to be protected from evil influences that teaches them how to kill innocent people (description for Counterstrike: A game were you can train for school massacers by building your school as a level and then train how to execute the most people in less time) - the games that caused these rampages have to be forbidden, nationwide.

O M G !

Well, if you ask me, this is pure bullshit. I am playing violent video games since i am 12 now, and (except some annoying neighbours' kids) i havent killed anything in my real life that looked human :mrgreen: ;P

6. Re: [Debate] Do violent games lead to violent behaviour?

If you killed someone for playing a video game, you would have killed someone eventually regardless if you never played a video game.

7. Ash

+1 ^^

8. Re: [Debate] Do violent games lead to violent behaviour?

Word. That´s the way it goes here.

9. Re: [Debate] Do violent games lead to violent behaviour?

I watch violent films and play violent games all the time and I doubt it has changed me, and if any of you punks disagree i'm going to rip your hearts out and feed it to my cat!!!!!!

Seriously though, I think there is an issue though about becoming desensitized with violent images.

You guys are shooting, whacking, boinking tf2 characters all the time! It's good fun. You introduce abit of realism and such as Counterstrike etc. and its still fun. You progress to games which try and simulate real killings, and you are already starting to become used to the images, and accepting the bloody gory scenes which are infront of you.

As you all know everybody wants what the can't have, its human nature. If you do happen to get what you want, then its always a dissappointment and you want something better or more extreme.

Some people have difficulty in seperating fiction from fact, some people live in the virtual world to escape from reality, and its these people I would be worried about.

Even watching TV everyday news can effect you, I remember watching the original live aid and seeing the images of the staving kids, which made me want to contribute to ease their plight, but we are bombarded with images like this every year where 1, 2 , 3 million people are dying of stavation and what do we think ...meh its another crisis... :(

10. Vacoy some sort of fucking fish

if nobody killed, wouldn't we have a population crisis?

11. Ash

That doesn't exactly justify people killing each other though does it?

12. Vacoy some sort of fucking fish

I was just kidding! :(

13. Re: [Debate] Do violent games lead to violent behaviour?

15 Death Rampage in a german school today...

Know what? He hated video games :O

14. Cookiecaster |/\|/\|/\|/|/\|/\|/\|/|/\|/\|/\|/|/\|/\|/\|/|/\|/\

theres a list of games banned allover the world, australia Australia banned these games for these reasons... im sure the people who buy the games are mature enough to handle them... its their choice to buy it and Australia should even tag the games and write what they include (unless they already havn't)

here is the link to all the games banned in the countries
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_banned_video_games

7 Sins Banned because of high impact of sexual references.
    50 Cent: Bulletproof Banned because of high impact violence and cruelty.[3] A censored version was later released.[citation needed]
    Blitz: The League Banned because of drug use.
    BMX XXX Banned because of sexuality and nudity in relation to incentives and rewards.[4] A censored version was later released.[citation needed]
    Dark Sector Banned because of high impact violence. A censored version was later released.
    Dreamweb Banned because of a scene of sexualized violence. However, the game was censored, and re-released with an M15+ rating in 1996 for "Medium level animated violence."[5]
    Duke Nukem 3D Censored because of violence and sexual references. Was eventually released uncut with an MA15+ rating.
    F.E.A.R. 2: Project Origin Banned because of high impact violence, ban later lifted in December of 2008.
    The Getaway Banned because of high impact violence. A censored version was later released.
    Grand Theft Auto III Banned because of sexual violence. A censored version was later released.
    Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas Had its classification revoked following the Hot Coffee controversy and sexual violence. A censored version has since been classified MA15+.
    Grand Theft Auto: Vice City Pre-Censored before submission because of sexual violence.
    Grand Theft Auto IV Pre-Censored before submission because of sexual violence. An uncut version was later released for the PC. A patch was later released to completely uncensor the Xbox 360 Version Of the game. The PS3 Version has not received the patch.
    Leisure Suit Larry: Magna Cum Laude Banned because of sexuality and nudity in relation to incentives and rewards.
    Marc Eck?'s Getting Up: Contents Under Pressure Banned because of high impact violence and the glorification of graffiti.
    Manhunt Was available for a while but later banned because of high impact scary violence and cruelty.
    Manhunt 2 Banned because of high impact scary violence, cruelty and high impact of sexual references.
    No More Heroes Censored by Rising Star Games because of high impact violence.
    NARC (2005 update) Banned because of high impact violence and illegal drug use.
    Postal 2 Banned because of gross, abhorrent content (urination, high impact violence, animal cruelty, homophobia, etc.)
    Phantasmagoria Banned because of high impact violence, cruelty, and a scene of sexual violence involving rape.
    Phantasmagoria: A Puzzle of Flesh Censored because of sexuality and nudity in relation to incentives and rewards.
    Reservoir Dogs Banned because of high impact violence and cruelty.
    Shellshock: Nam '67 Banned because of high impact violence; however, it was re-rated MA15+ by the Classification Review Board in its uncut form, upon appeal.
    Silent Hill: Homecoming Drilling into body parts. Konami has since modified the game to meet MA15+ guidelines.
    Singles: Flirt Up Your Life Banned because of sexuality and nudity in relation to incentives and rewards.
    Soldier of Fortune: Payback Banned because of high impact violence. Activision has since modified the game to meet MA15+ guidelines.
    Tender Loving Care Banned because of high impact violence; however, it has since been re-rated MA15+.
    The Punisher Banned because of high impact violence; however, it has since been re-rated MA15+.
    Voyeur Banned because of a scene of explicit sexual dialogue.

OMG in Brazil they banned "BULLY" that was an awsm game! (A.K.A Canis.Cadam.Edit the name on the case (i think i spelt it wrong ^^))

15. Vacoy some sort of fucking fish

Pokémon Accused and banned of promoting Zionism and concerns regarding to gambling. [28] [29]
    HAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHHAH

16. Ash

Australia have it worst.. most games get banned or edited.. the australian version of tf2 doesn't have blood for example.. just has like melons and pots and pans that come out when your shot ;p

17. Vacoy some sort of fucking fish

aint that the funmod or something? with balloons and party hats?

18. Re: [Debate] Do violent games lead to violent behaviour?

melons, pots and pans?! hahahahhaha i'd love to get a pic of that

19. Re: [Debate] Do violent games lead to violent behaviour?

No and it really pisses me when people say that there is some truth to it, there is none and there just using it as an excuse. For me Humans are genetically a violent species, some more than others but we all have the capacity to be violent, but like TH wrote:

All these have a massive impact on how we behave as adults, I would also add "environment" to that list.

Some of the most violent and cruel humans of all time, didn't have video games for instance, Hitler, Stalin, Mao, Caligula, Nero, Yahya Khan, Jack the Ripper and Vlad the Impaler (Dracula was based on this man) and so on... the list could go on, IMO if a Human Being plays Grand Theft Auto and then thinks it would be awesome to go steal a car and run some people over, then in my mind they already have health issues, for me its politicians doing what they do best, Talk Shit.

20. Re: [Debate] Do violent games lead to violent behaviour?

Also I may have missed it, but one of the best banned games of all time was Thrill Kill, which no one mentioned (I don't think) a beat em up, one of the special moves in the game was where someone had the ability to BUM YOU ! LMFAO.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)