Does anyone read books anymore, if so what are you reading?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Disco_Indigo, 27 Mar 2009.

1. Does anyone read books anymore, if so what are you reading?

A few years ago the BBC published The BIG read; a survey which hoped to find the nations top 100 best loved novels. As a little bit of light relief a few people I know thought it would be fun to see if we could read all of them.

Here is the List:-

http://www.bbc.co.uk/arts/bigread/top100_2.shtml

I have just finished reading To kill a Mockingbird (Atticus Finch = A champion among men), and am now reading Catch-22. Books I really failed to get on with are:- The Catcher in the Rye, JD Salinger (THE most boring book of all time), and Ulysses, James Joyce (I challange anyone to get past the second page without poking yourself in the eye with a sharp pencil)

The question is, what book are you reading at the moment, (or can even recommend)?

Disco :)

2. Re: Does anyone read books anymore?

Fucking EPIC trilogy.

Reading these atm :) (English translation obviously :P)

Code:
    http://rapidshare.com/files/112572074/Suzumiya_Haruhi_Light_Novels_Volumes_1-8_English_.zip
    Conveniently they fit perfectly (without horizontal scrolling \o/) in the PSP Bookr homebrew :D

3. Re: Does anyone read books anymore?

At the moment?

Methods in Cell Biology - Laser Manipulation of Cells and Tissues (bed time reading :D)

Wendelinka

4. Re: Does anyone read books anymore, if so, what are you reading?

Isn't that about female masturbation ?

I've read and would recommend:

The Watchmen
    Lord of the Rings Trilogy
    Horus Heresy
    Magician - Riftwar Saga
    The Killing Joke - Alan Moore.
    Dolores Claiborne - Stephen King
    Shining - Stephen King
    The Dark Tower - Stephen King
    Eisenhorn

To name a few, there are so many.....

5. LienK Wat

Re: Does anyone read books anymore, if so, what are you reading?

Atm reading 'The Wheel of Time'.

I've read 'His Dark Materials' but didn't like it that much :P

6. The Xtractor Certified Weeaboo

Re: Does anyone read books anymore, if so, what are you reading?

i only read books when i need to for school.

7. Re: Does anyone read books anymore, if so what are you reading?

Is it sad that I'm re-reading the book that I did for my English GCSEs? 'The Lord Of The Flies' by William Golding is an AWESOME book! <3

Savage

EDIT: Wow... That was three years ago that I did those GCSEs... Sad...

8. Re: Does anyone read books anymore, if so what are you reading?

At the moment i'm reading these two during the day:

The Origins of the Peloponnesian War by G.E.M. de Ste. Croix
    A History of Warfare by John Keegan

But they're such heavy going that the only things I can handle in my own time are Private Eye or trashy fantasy - at the moment i'm reading the Belgariad by David Eddings. I first read the series when I was like, 13, but was feeling nostalgic the other day so picked them up again...it's quite satisfying to be able to blast through a whole book in a few hours, even if it is trash :lol:

+1 to Danny r.e. Raymond Feist, although the Empire Trilogy with Janny Wurts is my favourite

9. Re: Does anyone read books anymore, if so what are you reading?

authors i enjoy reading are:

Hunter S Thompson
    Iain Banks
    J.R.R. Tolkien
    F Scott Fitzgerald
    Michael Crichton
    Bret Easton Ellis
    Graham Reilly
    Irvine Welsh

there are heaps more but i cant be bothered to type them. i love reading though half the sturggle for me is finding the time to start one. but once i do im hooked and don't put it down.

10. Re: Does anyone read books anymore, if so what are you reading?

its not trash FFS! not when I am IN IT :P read it like when i was 13-14 and liked it a lot (hence my nick), bought the whole series (well only Belgariad + Malloreon = 10 books) two years ago in a re-release as a hardback with a kick-ass front cover + it looks great in the library :)

11. Re: Does anyone read books anymore, if so what are you reading?

Lol yeah we've just finished that book a couple of months ago - it was pretty good until our teacher made us watch the film version of it, which fucked the story and all the character were gay (well that's how they looked) american kids D: That kinda ruined it tbh :P

12. Re: Does anyone read books anymore, if so what are you reading?

Now Im reading "13 days in space after 14 years on earth" a diary from space by Christer Fuglesang the first Swedish astronaut. (In swedish)

My favorit books is the trilogy (with five books) Hitchhikers Guide To The Galaxy; Love :D

13. Re: Does anyone read books anymore, if so what are you reading?

LOL is it that grainy black and white one where the boulder that smashes Piggy's head open bounces off his head and he doesn't fall to the ground for ages? xD Our English teacher made us watch it too, although another English teacher had told her that it was very true to the original plot... LIES AND SLANDER IS WHAT I SAY!!

Ahhh the declivities of the rocks are beautiful, ne? :roll:

14. Re: Does anyone read books anymore, if so what are you reading?

i just finished re-reading the Hitchhikers Guide To The Galaxy trilogy,
    atm i've finished a couple of pratchett novels and have moved on to Capponi's "Victory of the West".

15. Re: Does anyone read books anymore, if so what are you reading?

i was reading the books of : Song of fire and ice (George R.R. Martin)
    its really nice like the lord of the rings trilogy just better
    if you like fantasy books you have to read them
    the problem is that theyre not finnished at the moment (8 existing)

16. Re: Does anyone read books anymore, if so what are you reading?

No the one we watched is like modern (and colour :P) but incredibly gay :(

17. Re: Does anyone read books anymore, if so, what are you reading?

I don't know I was too busy looking for a pencil :)

Oh now you are talking, an excellent piece of work. Did you read the last chapter? (you kow what I mean, but please don't ruin it for anyone else who doesn't :) )

Looks like some of you guys like science fiction. I am not sure whether this is well known but have a look at the The Stainless Steel Rat Series -by Harry Harrison.

Oh and Piss re fantasy books you might want to look up Michael Moorcock :).

18. Micky Mick rolling since 07

Re: Does anyone read books anymore, if so what are you reading?

Like all kind of books but the latest I've read are from Lee Child, managed to read 6 out of 13 so far. Recommend that you start with Killing floor and work your way through the rest.

"Despite the crude, tough-naïf narration, debut novelist Child serves up a big, rangy plot, menace as palpable as a ticking bomb, and enough battered corpses to make an undertaker grin. "

A big gory though so Kid it may not be for you. ;)

Micky 8-)

19. Re: Does anyone read books anymore, if so what are you reading?

I used to read, but it's been a while since I've seen a book up close (pretty much like how it is with girls nowadays xD)
    I'm mostly interested in Fantasy, but I'll read anything as long as it's fiction. My favorite books I've read so far is the Stravaganza trilogy, though I've only read 1 & 2 so far. I need to get my hands on the 3rd someday :)

20. Re: Does anyone read books anymore, if so what are you reading?

i read the dark tower 1-6
    is the last book better than the previous?
    the beginning of the story was very nice until the 5th book then it became strange

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)

Users found this page by searching for:

1. does anybody even read books anymore

2. does anyone want books anymore