Eu referendum

Discussion in 'Random' started by Jolly Long Arm, 18 Apr 2016.

?

Should the United Kingom stay in the EU?

1. Stay

2. Leave

3. Undecided (don't know)

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Jolly Long Arm The Moon... It's far away!

EU Referendum.
    Do you think the UK should stay in the EU or reform?

I dont want this to be a bitching thread.
    BUT
    I am having a debate inclass on this topic and would like to hear your views.
    I will only read sensible and justifiable opinions.

Troll posts will just get deleted.

2. Mystia the Schnitzel Delivery Guy

Can't really decide how economy wise UK is standing in. Can only really talk about the situation in Austria. We are depending a lot on the EU (Free market, No tolls)
    Also not sure if the tourism will be booming as hard in the winter if we are not in the EU anymore.

tbh in my eyes it is really a difficult topic to discuss about.

Edit1: Also we are too far into the EU already. If Austria would leave the EU, we would have an huge financial struggle. If we haven't joined it before in 1995, that would have been a different case!

Last edited: 18 Apr 2016
  3. Would it not be useful to have a poll perhaps? Something like: "Should the UK leave or stay in the EU?" with answers "stay", "leave" and "don't know" - may help better facilitation of the discussion or allow people who do not want to make a lot of input just have a quick response.

4. Langers http://bit.ly/IqT6zt

Fully depends how you perceive it.

A lot of it is clouded in uncertainty - in either direction. The long term economic effects, the long term sociological and political effects, the terms that Britain would leave or remain in the EU on (although the Treaty of Lisbon makes it clear that we cannot have a say in it, by law). I'd impress this point above all, not least for the effect on the markets of such an uncertainty. But, membership has hardly been a bed of roses in the past few years, what with the Eurozone crisis...

We send 45-7% of our exports to the EU, but run a trade deficit - 54% of our imports come from the European Union. In either sense, the reinstatement of barriers to trade that the Single Market removes will damage both Europe and us, to some degree.

As for the wider argument of trade, outside of the EU, Britain would be able to make trade deals with emerging countries. The EU framework has caused substantial and 'unjustifiable' delays in reaching preferential trade deals with India and China in particular, but it's debatable that Britain would be able to achieve highly favourable deals outside of the European Union.

In an economic sense, I'd say the benefits of EU membership are well known - and the only precedent we have for the vote in June, the 1975 referendum on membership of the common market, shows a mandate of approximately 3/4 of the electorate for economic integration.

My qualms with the European project are far more in the political dimensions of the European Union. It erodes our national sovereignty, irrespective of its benefits.

It's an emotive point, but worth raising either way, that over a million people from the United Kingdom died for the freedom of this country from outside control, and yet the EU does just that - diminish the ability of this country to control and govern its own affairs. The primacy of European law is bound in law by the Treaty of Rome.

This is all before we get into the specific criticisms of the EU - the democratic deficit, the inflexibility of its policy preferences and so on...

As for the wider suggestions, that Britain would lose geo-political influence, again, its difficult to say. Britain would still be a nuclear power, a permanent member of the UN security council and a member of NATO.

It's... a complicated situation.

My head says stay, but my heart says leave.

It reminds me of the old quote "Either we can fall into the abyss, or with courage and faith, leap to the other side."

The problem is, we don't know what the "abyss" is.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • List
  5. HellJack A message was delivered, and received.

Are you asking us for our opinions so you can present them to your class as your own?

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • List
  6. Jolly Long Arm The Moon... It's far away!

I can't seem to edit the post to add one, make it so! :)
    Done it

No, as that would be wrong and plagarism
    I am just overly curious on opinions, I already have mine

However, for the class discussion I could be on the opposite side.

Although saying that (if I may) research more into the ideas brought forward then use what ive researched in the class.
    Additionally, anything I say in the class must be backed up by legitimate research.
    So anything said here I cant use without permission and researching in the first place.(hoping I made sense)

Last edited: 18 Apr 2016
    • Wizard Wizard x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
    • List
  7. RossyMac Bunch of young trap lords and we down for sinning

If we were able to secure half decent trade agreements with the EU, it would be far better to leave because it would be the best of both worlds in that we have the majority of the benefits of being in the EU as far as tariffs and shit goes, whilst at the same time securing contracts with China, etc.

Only problem is that we have almost no trained diplomats whatsoever (who would be in charge of securing the trade deals) as we haven't needed any since we joined the EU which puts a large degree of uncertainty as to what we'd actually be able to do if we left the EU.

8. -M-m- herpderp

Id say stay unless there's already a decent buffer of tax money, gold reserves etc that the country can sustain itself on.

9. Mole45 Dance Little Liar

Maybe we'd do well if we left, maybe.
    Simple fact is that I don't trust the current government to succeed. When it was a coalition and their power was somewhat limited by the lib dems it was bad, now that shackle is off it's worse. I don't want to imagine what it will be like without the influence of the EU.
    If we leave, Scotland will want another referendum and will leave this time.

The best way I can think about this is in terms of the Conservatives favourite school system, Academies. Academy status basically allows the school to keep all it's money and spend it as it likes, whereas before some of that money may have automatically gone to the local council to pay for things like cleaning and waste removal (there's more to it than that but I'm simplifying). Some schools have benefited from this because they were already run well. But not all, my old school currently has it's highest turnover rate of teachers in it's 450 year history because the Headmaster is constantly cutting costs and new teachers and cheaper than long term teachers. The number of school activities available has reduced, and those that remain are more expensive for the students. But the school has a shiny new canteen it didn't need so everything's great. That's what worries me if we leave, and this government hasn't shown me anything to suggest they won't take money away from services that used to get funding and stick it into something we don't want/need.

10. Fuck it mate I got a gut feeling init

wrong reason to vote

11. I agree with 90% of UKIP policy and leaving is one of them

13. Mole45 Dance Little Liar

It'll be interesting to see what direction UKIP go at the end of this referendum, if we stay or leave they lose their "UK should rule the UK" stance because either the UK now does rule the UK or the public have had their say and disagreed.

14. Langers http://bit.ly/IqT6zt

I'd suggest taking a look at Scotland for a precedent on that matter. As for a "Leave" vote, it's hard to say.

Either way, the campaign wasn't fought on their "Grassroots Out" platform, so the end results are bound to be mitigated, in either direction.

15. If England (because well 35m eligible voters compared to 2m for Scotland, like 1-2m for Wales and N.I.) the SNP will demand a new vote on indepence and it will more than likely go through due to Scotland having a lot of benefits for being in the EU.

16. Rioter Mad man box wearing lunatic for President

I'm going to simplify.

Damned if we stay, damned if we leave.

Choose the least worst option.

17. Voted leave today

Regardless of the debatable economic consequences of leaving, fuck the EU for:

- Cookie warnings
    - Zero knowledge of the laws of physics when it comes to household appliance legislation eg vacuum cleaners and ESPECIALLY kettles, the one and only 99% efficient electrical appliance no matter its age
    - Immigration from eastern europe et al
    - Showing willingness to allow Turkey in
    - Generally being carried like fuck by the UK and Germany, though it seems Germany is too left-wing to notice/care

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  18. NomNom Chompski BURNING LOVEEEE

>cookie warnings

19. NomNom Chompski BURNING LOVEEEE

Oh, i voted out. Many pros and cons to both sides.

20. NomNom Chompski BURNING LOVEEEE

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)