Hard drive died

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Knud, 18 Jul 2009.

1. Knud Phat beats only

Hard drive died

Today my WD raptor decided to stop working..
    I´m now trying to repair it. but I´ve lost some data.. (saved games, FF stuff) but nothing too serious.
    (it was a NTFS drive, now it shows as FAT, 10 mb big, that crazy stuff.. it was making some funny clicking noises before too..)

Maybe need a new hard drive.. but I hope just a new and clean re-install is sufficient.

Darn it!

Might not be playing the coming week, but I can play on my lan party pc if I want too ;)
    (And internet on my NC-10 netbook)

2. Fromage "The Cheese"

Re: Hard drive died

Seems like all hardware fails upon us during summertime! :) Hopefully it sorts out soon enough knud. Did you only have one drive?

Erik

3. Knud Phat beats only

No, this was just my OS drive.
    I have 3 other data drives.
    Maybe I should consider Raid setup's and stuff...

Btw, anyone know a Firefox plugin that can save your bookmark somewhere online? (Like a cloud computing stuff/steam cloud :P)

4. Fromage "The Cheese"

Then just install the OS on another disk til the raptor is sorted out. :) Firefox has some kind of backup system built into it where you can save it as a file, then just put the file somewhere on the internet.

I use a program called mozy that backup things whenever the PC is in idle. You could always use that and put your profile/firefox-bookmarks to that. Whenever your PC is in idle it will backup the files to an encrypted disk that mozy provide. The good thing is it's free if you only need 2 gb. :)

https://mozy.com/registration/free/?ref=3f9a896b&kbid=39426&m=17

Erik

5. Knud Phat beats only

Well, i already formatted the drive, since it was doing crazy stuff.
    Now I already re-installed windows, now I need to check for smart errors and stuff.

I will check out Mozy :)
    And 2gb should be ok, for my FF stuff and some save games.
    TKs!

6. Re: Hard drive died

ouch, how long u had that drive, maybe u can get a replacement if it the hdd problem.

try this, but how can u back it up if ur hdd died :S

i used it to back my ff stuff and thunderbird stuff ^^

7. Knud Phat beats only

I have the HDD for about 2 years.
    And back up stuff? Well, online something..

Anyways, this is a message from my freshly installed windows XP SP3 ^_^

Just need to install my games and other crap... that always takes ages..

And I lost my Empire Total War save games.. that is the part I hate the most...
    (But Im gonna try some recovery software)

8. Re: Hard drive died

Hai.
    You should better check your harddrive, because when it simply killed your file system, I would not expect it to happen twice / or I would never trust in to happen not again. (lol weird sentence, hope you undestand it :P foreign ftw)

When the drive is only 2 years old, you can check your warranty online here: http://support.wdc.com/warranty/index.asp
    Normally your drive has 4 or 5 years warranty.

regards

9. Knud Phat beats only

Yeah, I checked it again, with various tools, also from WD itself.
    It shows that its fine. But I will be carefull the coming weeks, for sure.

And I have 5 years warranty on the drive :)

10. Re: Hard drive died

There might not be anything wrong with the drive tbh - just a corrupt partition table

11. Knud Phat beats only

Its doing fine now... so I'm happy..

Just ran (9 hours) some recovery software, but my Empire Total war saved games are lost... hours/days of gameplay lost..
    Time to use Mozy/Synctoy more often now.

Any other tips for FF back-up online based or so?

12. Fromage "The Cheese"

Mozy is great, its just a small app that runs whenever your pc is in idle. Your firefox profile is in some folder in my documents -> application data -> mozilla firefox -> profiles <- backup that folder and you're good to go! :)

Erik

13. Knud Phat beats only

Yep, did that and it seems to work fine for now :)
    Thanks for the tip!

14. Obaruler German Rager/Spamer

Erm ...... export your Bookmarks as an .html on another HDD ?! Weekly backups ftw ..... (i dont trust any HDD, so i am saving everything i got on my PCs on my Homes server in the basement AND in external drives that are bunkered in my room, under the bed ^^)

At least send the .html to an online email account of yours, so its save, even if your house burns down (blame the pyro) ....

15. Re: Hard drive died

lol :cawg: oba, if u dont trust any hdd why u still backup to hdd's? :awesome:

DVD/CD media helps too. i do it ^^

good to see it fix knud :clap:

16. Obaruler German Rager/Spamer

Ye, i dont trust ONE HDD, but that 3 HDD that contain the same data all die at the same time (one of them not workin, and being save under my bed) is pretty rare imo ;P

And i really doubt that i would be willing so save something arround 3 TB of data on DVD xD

17. Re: Hard drive died

yea i understand

but if really got ze monies u can get a bluray drive and back-up onto bluray disc(25GB) rar them 1st xD

well mostly i backup my music/pics and docs on dvd

-games on steam

-other shitz on external hdd/moar dvd :mmmhmm:

18. Obaruler German Rager/Spamer

Oh, i allready have a BluRay burner, LG GGW-H20L. Bought it because it plays BluRay and HD-DVD .... and for some BR-burning maybee in the future.

BUT a "good" blank disc costs arround 8-10 € for a 25 Gig and 17 € for a 50 Gig one. With the 50 Gig ones that would mean 60+ discs, 1020+ € !!!!!!

And personally i prefer a TB-HDD for 80 € from Samsung, which can be rewritten as many times as i want, and has an uncomparable lower price than BluRay-backups ;P

Keep in mind; I am making weekly backups, every sunday. I have many shit on my PCs, like legally paid music/movies for several hundres (maybee thousands) of Euro, bought by Amazon / Maxdome (german movie paltform) and so on ... and i definetly dont wanna lose this, + tons of game saves, pictures that cant be replaced ....

I would be the prototype of a money-wasting Mac-fag, if i wouldnt be a gamer xD Hum, but .... now im owning an iPhone ..... oh noes !!!!! -.-

19. shadiku nyoro~n

-snip-

20. Knud Phat beats only

Thanks!
    I'll have a look at it :)

And the pc is running fine now!
    And Empire Total war is too addictive! :D

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)