Highlanders 12th-14th of Dec, Sign-up

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Th-, 11 Dec 2008.

1. Th-

Highlanders 12th-14th of Dec, Sign-up

I'm afraid I'm too busy with uni to host a match Friday so we need a volunteer for the task. Saturday and Sunday should be ok. After last weekend's events we have learned something important about organizing a match.

First, be on time. All 18 players must be on time for the match. Idle on the server at least 15 minutes before the time and warm up, its much easier for the host. Its an international summit, you know. If you are late, your friends from over half a dozen different countries from the Europe/US are waiting. Think about that :D
    Second, have the vent sorted out early. Although its not a major disadvantage to a team if 1-2 can't hear the rest, it is not preferred either. Also if there's a problem with one, all the others have to wait. Test if unsure.
    Third, respond to the organizer as fast as possible in any questions relating to the event. Keep and eye on the chats, all of them. When the host asks for map nominations, all should pause the warm-up to write something down. If no opinion, write anyway "all are fine" etc.
    Fourth, the teams are sorted by giving each player a team and a number from 1-9. Team 1 = Blu and Team 2 = Red. The number indicates the class: 1 = scout, 4 = demoman, 7 = medic etc. See an example viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1559&start=45

Help for the organizer: ask 3 preferred classes from everyone. There is one specific rule to start with: The medic MUST be competent. I recommend not to deviate from this one... I also recommend having similarly skilled main offensive classes in both teams, soldiers, pyros, demomen and/or the heavies. After that, continue with first and second choices. If some classes are still too popular, ask some players who seem to have played the same class often for a new opinion. When teams are mostly sorted, check the estimated skill balance - change it by switching teams of the players with same class. Include the time left to match in your Steam Friends name - for your convenience :lol:

So then, you know the drill. Post if you'd like to attend.
    Each day when enough interest, 8pm GMT, The Serious Match Server, 2-3 maps, duration 1 hour+

Alpha (all) // demoman soldier pyro
    Bennett (all) // heavy soldier scout sniper
    Dark (all) // heavy scout soldier (you're the highest ranking GM Dark, so if no host steps up, its you)

XO (Fri) // sniper scout pyro medic
    Bun and/or the Bun Company (Fri,Sat) // spy any any
    Not Uncle Dave (Fri,Sat) // spy engineer pyro
    Anathema (Fri,Sat) // soldier scout demoman medic
    Geitiegg (Fri,Sun) // medic spy engineer

eoN (Sat) // engineer demo any
    Th (Sat,Sun) // all classes
    Pissmidget (Sat,Sun) // all classes
    Overdrive (Sun) // scout spy any

Friday 8/18
    Saturday 9/18
    Sunday 7/18

Last edited by a moderator: 27 Nov 2013
  2. Re: Highlanders 12th-14th of Dec, Sign-up

Friday-Saturday (probably) : scout, solly, demoman, medic

3. Re: Highlanders 12th-14th of Dec, Sign-up

Well since I cant really do anything atm I have time for some matches. I'm up for Friday, Saturday and Sunday as demoman only. :)

4. Re: Highlanders 12th-14th of Dec, Sign-up

Can play Saturday/Sunday - any class :)

5. Geit Coding wizard!

Re: Highlanders 12th-14th of Dec, Sign-up

Friday and sunday, Medic, spy, enginieer.

6. XOo

I can play just Friday, Sniper, Scout, Pyro, Medic

7. Re: Highlanders 12th-14th of Dec, Sign-up

All three days.

1. Heavy
    2. Soli
    3. Scout/Sniper

8. Re: Highlanders 12th-14th of Dec, Sign-up

uni break woop woop woop

i can sub =)

EDIT:
    actually free sunday, not too sure about fri/sat
    class preference: scout - spy - anything else

9. Re: Highlanders 12th-14th of Dec, Sign-up

Aww hell naw ! I only play well as demo, I sometimes go solly and pyro on pubs but just to train me a bit

10. Re: Highlanders 12th-14th of Dec, Sign-up

sign me up for friday and saturday, spy engy pyro

11. Re: Highlanders 12th-14th of Dec, Sign-up

All days; classes in order of preference: heavy, scout, soldier, medic, sniper.

12. Bun

Friday n' Saturday.

All classes, prefer spy.

13. Re: Highlanders 12th-14th of Dec, Sign-up

I might not be able to come tonight (13th).

The United Terror vs GM match is at 6pm tonight and even if it did finish soon enough, I can only survive the headaches my headset gives me for an hour or so :(

14. Re: Highlanders 12th-14th of Dec, Sign-up

:lol:

15. Th-

Ah we had ton of fun again... We played granary 1-6 to team 2 and gravelpit umm... 4-0? Though it was a tough battle, close calls a few of them. Thanks to our guest stars Jh, Tuna and Salmon <- his friends from the days in CSS clan eC*K. Jh came to sub the spy-Overdrive for a quick cameo. Indeed when the player "Wizard -AA-" joined the server I was amused by the reception... And Special thanks to Pissmidget who took the role of organizer during and after my absence.

I think we need to form a ruleset to the future matches for things to work properly. The server crash was unfortunate but that created a lot of unnecessary confusion. Also in the end I wanted to have a vote on whether or not to play a 3rd map, but alas I failed to verbalize my desires to Dark with sufficient speed and the server had vacated. This "GM internal match code" could include a number of guidelines that would make everything go smoothly such as:

"Dealings with the organizer:
    1) Obey instantly
    2) Reply to questions as fast as possible
    3) etc...
    Attending to server:
    1) Connect x minutes b4 announced time
    2) Do not leave without notifying the organizer
    3) After the agreed maps are played, wait for organizers final announcement
    Other specific rules:
    1) NOMINATE: on this request you are to... etc.
    2) Captains: nominated by teams' consensus
    3) Voting process: ...
    Captain:
    1) duties
    2) communication
    3) hierarchy
    ...etc."

Also this code could be quoted to guests in chat so they know what to do. What do you think?

16. Re: Highlanders 12th-14th of Dec, Sign-up

Sorry about the vote at the end. Blame the sourcemod developers for putting a 30 second delay between votes :x

(The server started its mapcycle vote at the end of the round just as I was about to hit enter with a "3rd map?" vote -.-)

17. Re: Highlanders 12th-14th of Dec, Sign-up

Many thanks to everyone who played the Highlander last night, especially to those community members (Benito and Demanufacturer - I know they can't read this but it's my party and i'll cry if i want to...) who stepped in at the last minute to substitute. Also thanks to Th and to Darkie for helping with the organisation. I've really enjoyed all the highlanders we have played so far and we intend to continue organising them each weekend, with details being posted on the forums.

Badlands: Blu = 1 / Red = 1 A very close fought game with some simply filthy sniper on sniper action and some sublime spying from both teams. Star for the Red team has to be Bun the Spy who pulled off the world's most epic spy cap on Blu's last CP.

Turbine: Blu = 8 / Red = 11 (I think...) A frantic, wide-ranging and very bloody game that ended up being an 8 v 8 after some people had to leave - Th's epic spy work saved Blu from a complete thrashing in the second half of the game, resulting in a fairly close match. Star for the Red team was Bennett the Heavy for insta-pwning a sentry while ubered and in mid air having dropped out of the vents.

Some initial problems in getting everyone on the server so I will re-state Th's post earlier:

"Dealings with the organizer:
    1) Obey instantly
    2) Reply to questions as fast as possible
    3) etc...
    Attending to server:
    1) Connect x minutes b4 announced time
    2) Do not leave without notifying the organizer
    3) After the agreed maps are played, wait for organizers final announcement

I would also suggest each team nominates a team leader to take overall control of the team's movements/actions and to communicate with whoever is organising the match itself. Anyway, thanks for playing everyone and I look forward to the next highlander :)

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)